Author Topic: Sewing  (Read 10052 times)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Sewing
« on: August 03, 2005, 03:18:46 PM »
I wanted to get this forum goingyesterday, but things don't always work as planned.

Many folks who came into Cas-Shooting/ren-acting the "Old West" had done Mountian Man era in the past.  Well a lot of their ideas they learned changed in the 25-40 years time differance.

When sewing your own clothing it does not have to be hand sewn.  In fact to be proper as to hand sewing it should either portray someone such as a homesteader who may or may not have had a sewing machine, it was often a prize possession as seen in Solomon Butcher Photos.  Also a item sewn by hand was a mark of affection to a man when made by a lady.

Also very fine tailored clothing was often hand sewn, it was considered a mark of fine clothing to have very fine hand sewing.

Most store bought clothing was machine sewn in factories, remember Oliver Winchester owned a Men's shirt factory before getting in the gun bussiness.

Home sewing machines were the foot pumped treadle machines, factory ones were often belt driven.

I am lucky enough to own a operating treadle machine which I use from time to time.  I have did some comparrison and a modern electric will do the same kind of straght stitch if using one of these is handier.  I find it is because it is easier to get the tension right and it don't cause cramps.  One must not use the fancy stitches one of these machines will do.  They will make it look wrong.  If you want fancy stitching or embroidery, learn to do it by hand.

So with that hand sewing or a straght stictch sewn with either a treadle machine or a modern one is correct.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Sewing
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 10:48:32 PM »
Thanks, Del. I'd forgotten about the tredle machines. My MIL had one, wish we had that one back. Believe it was a Singer, too.......Buck 8) ::) :o ;)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2005, 02:42:48 AM »
The rally nice thing is that a treadle machine is still hard to beat for sewing light leather (with the proper needle) or heavy material such as several layers of canvas when making things like haversacks.

The worst thing you can do is slip a belt or break a needle.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:44:18 AM »

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 03:07:01 PM »
My better-half is borrowing her mother's machine. It looks like a treadle machine but has a little electric motor mounted on it with a round belt around the pulleys. I would call it a transition machine. We also have a treadle around here someplace, not sure where it is right now.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 06:53:02 PM »
My Aunt and Grandmother, both had treadle Singers.  I only wish I knew where they are now!!!!!
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Offline Capt. Hamp Cox

• Top Active Citizen
  • 1937 Ford & 1941 Hamp in 1947
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2005, 08:57:49 PM »
My better-half is borrowing her mother's machine. It looks like a treadle machine but has a little electric motor mounted on it with a round belt around the pulleys. I would call it a transition machine. We also have a treadle around here someplace, not sure where it is right now.

Slim

I think they came out with kits to convert the old treadle machines to electric.  I remember my dad did that with my mom's treadle Singer back in the fiftys or so.  I just got through cleaning out an aunt's house, and came across an early Singer electric portable.  It had the heavy black cast metal upper with fancy gold decorative stuff all over it, and sits in a case with a lift-off cover.  Pretty neat, and appears not to have been used much, if at all.

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2005, 09:10:05 AM »

Slim

I think they came out with kits to convert the old treadle machines to electric.  I remember my dad did that with my mom's treadle Singer back in the fiftys or so.  I just got through cleaning out an aunt's house, and came across an early Singer electric portable.  It had the heavy black cast metal upper with fancy gold decorative stuff all over it, and sits in a case with a lift-off cover.  Pretty neat, and appears not to have been used much, if at all.
My mother-law's is just like that.  ;D

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Col. Riddles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Whar's thet dadblasted Yankee?
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2005, 10:31:48 PM »
Several years ago Cactus Concha of Las Vegas had her tent set up at the OWSA shoot in Raton, N.M.. making & repairing clothes. She had a treadle sewing machine that looked brand new. I asked her if it had been restored & she said "No. It's a reproduction." I have no idea where she bought it and I just did a web search for reproduction sewing machines with no luck. However I did find lots of antique & restored treadle machines & parts for sale.
God answers knee mail † ><>
BOLD
SCORRS
SASS 7462 Life

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2005, 05:06:58 AM »
With the many original machines out there I don't see any reason to reproduce them.  Any sewing machine repairman can work on them and for most common ones such as New Home or Singer a lot of the needed parts are still made.  These are one of the most durable devices ever made by man and are still in common use in other countrys.  The common palm leaf hats are made on them even today. 

Most that have been lost to us are the trade-ins that the comanies destoryed to make room for their modern improved models. 
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2005, 10:18:44 PM »
My Mom still has her treadle machine.  She says it's either a Singer or a White machine.  Unfortunately, it hasn't been used in about 20 years, but a little clean-up and some oil in the right places would probably do wonders.  She has been planning to give it to the Johnson Co. Museum (Indiana) but I think I talked her into passing it on to me.  She didn't know I had any interest in it.  My wunnerful wife also said that she'd sew me a crazy quilt if I didn't want it too quickly.

Both Mom and my ex-wife sewed a finger on that machine at one time.  Yikes! :o
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com