Author Topic: Scenario: If You could take only two black powder guns camping  (Read 17930 times)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Scenario: If You could take only two black powder guns camping
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2018, 01:30:25 PM »

Upon reflection.  Primitive Camping.  Ok, I'm in.  Motel 6.  I consider Motel 6 primitive.  Not normally located in Savoryville.  So my selection for BP arms would have to be amended.  Model '97, BP rounds loaded with Buck Shot.  Large Buck Shot.  Most anything is going to take place close up, so we're still talking about my 1911.  In this case, rounds loaded with 3f and a 200Gr Hollow Point.  Should do.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2018, 09:56:48 PM »
If it's Motel 6 I might have to add a can of bug spray.

Offline R.M. Conversion

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2018, 11:11:17 AM »
Hmmm, 1873 Uberti in .38-40 and Springfield Trapdoor in .45-70.

Advertising

Offline Bunk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2018, 03:04:24 PM »
I vote with Coffinmaker. Holiday Inn Express fits me just fine.
In seven years of US Army I spent enough days "camping out" with the chef would present a selection of C-ration canned goodies and not a speck of Bearnaise sauce in sight...how disgusting.
My firearms selection usually consisted of an M1 Garand or an M1 carbine and a bandolier of  clips.

However, getting back on subjec,t I would select a percussion Sharps .54 caliber carbine with  a hand full of  paper cartridges and caps along with  a couple of 1860 Colt .44 caliber revolvers loaded 6 beans in the wheel and capped.
Ay least that is my opinion I may be wrong.

Bunk

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2018, 04:57:22 PM »

Awright Awready.   ::). Seeing as how we are actually sticking to TWO Black Powder guns on our camping trip ..... I' ll go with my Uberti '73 Trapper Rifle, set up for C45S and a big bag of Suppositories for it, and a cartridge converted 1860 so I can feed em the same ammunition.  Bigger bag of Suppositories.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2018, 05:30:19 PM »
I think a '63 Sharps would be a poor choice. Why? If you don't tear down and clean the breechblock after even one one shot, you risk the breechblock seizing, the flash hole clean out screw at least.

This is not something I would care to do in the field. After a day at the range with my .50  '63s (a carbine and a Military Rifle), I look forward to a couple of hours of breechblock cleaning.  If you are foraging for food, you will be firing a few shots at grouse, whatever.
That means cleaning.

Likewise for cap & ball revolvers. Way cool and oh, so romantic to pot a grouse or bunny with your .44, but a after a few shots, we have the cleaning issue.

I too did a lot of "camping" while in uniform when on field exercises. On occasion that meant crawling under a parked vehicle to get out of the rain to sleep. I knew it was time to move when the vehicle started up.

Now I step out of the door and I'm in hunting country. I flush grouse when walking the dogs, spook the occasional deer and bear and watch a cow moose foraging in the weeds across the lake twice a day. I have a moose draw so I'm hoping that Bullwinkle pays her a visit while it is valid.

I'd like to take a moose with one of my Sharps rifles, likely one of my 45-70s. I'll go prone with x-stix as it's 225-250,yards to where he'd show up courting the cow.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Online Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2018, 08:27:55 PM »
I do like to pot squirrels and armidillo's out on the farm with my 51 Navy.  (in the correct .36 caliber)  I eat the squirrels, the buzzards eat the dillo's.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Bunk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2018, 09:45:33 PM »
PJ
My Sharps carbine has the Hahn Machine Works conversion to the chamber and breech block and it can easily get 20 to 30rounds aimed  fire down range with no problems.
After that a quick squirt of Ballistol around the breech block and I am ready for more shooting. I am not sure how a 450 grain bullet moving at about 1200 ft/sec would affect a threat wearing soft body armor but I expect it would slow them down to a crawl.
As far as 4 legged threats are concerned that should be sufficient for most occasions.
If not check out the 4 bore stopping double rifles on Forgotten Weapons. A small round ball weighing 1750 grains propelled by a "light" charge of 825 grains of black powder. The slug was considerably heavier. with more powder.
BOOM
Bunk

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2018, 02:39:57 PM »
Five rds or fifty, you have the same cleaning issue. That means stripping the block and removing the flash hole screw.

Prying up the gas plate on my 63's requires a pair of thin bladed screwdrivers. I usually do that at home with the block held in the padded jaws of a vise.

I've often wondered how Berdan's Sharpshooters coped in the era, cleaning under field conditions.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Bunk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2018, 11:55:14 AM »
Hi PJ,
this is not a paid advertisement but check this site. I am just a very satisfied customer.
http://www.hahnmachineworks.com/
That sliding sleeve is swaged in place, the paper cutter breech face is also attached to the breech block and my experience when using his paper tubes is minimal cleaning is required to keep shooting. A spritz of Ballistol or a fast spray of original Pam kitchen non stick oil every 20 or 30 rounds keeps my Sharps shooting with no problems. If a piece of the burnt tube is left in the chamber just stick in another round and keep on shooting.
With this conversion there is almost no gas escape and that is why the breech block stays clean.
At least that is my experience with my Pedersoli Sharps. YMMV
Cordially
Bunk

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2018, 07:48:33 PM »
My '63s are both in .50 calibre so Charlie Hahn's tubes are of no use to me. Unless someone makes a .50 calibre ring tail bullet.

If he could convert my breech blocks without having the whole rifle shipped, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Offline Bunk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2018, 09:04:39 PM »
PJ,
I don't want to hijack this thread, but what Hahn does with a Sharps makes it super reliable for prolonged shooting.
I would not expect to get into a prolonged fire fight out camping but that rifle would be impressive.
Also throwing those 400+ grain lead slugs down range gets a bit expensive. I use a Moose Mold .54 ring tail bullet.
Bunk

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2018, 03:49:11 AM »
I'd take my '66 carbine and my saa copy both in 45lc, though taking my '51 navy is a very tempting proposition mainly because thats my favorite handgun.

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2018, 02:23:08 PM »
Well if things are limited to black powder guns then I'd be my 1860 Army 44 revolver (would prefer my favorite c&b, my 2nd Model Dragoon as I like the feel and I'd be better "For wackin' surly critters" with, but the 60 Army is a little more convenient size and weight wise). The 2nd one would be my double twelve short barrel scattergun. Guess I'd tote along various shotshell loadings for different situations, 2's, 5/6's, and 8's.
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2018, 10:47:43 PM »
I guess it would depend on several things: What era am I portraying? If it is any time between 1860 and 1873, I guess I would opt for a M1860 Colt's Army, possibly with a cartridge conversion.  For a long arm, it would depend on what I expected to encounter...large four-legged critters, including griz, I'd opt for a large bore breachloader.  Yes, a Sharps carbine would seem to be the choice, but, frankly, I think I'd rather have a 5th Model Burnside carbine, with brass cartridge cases that seal the breach!  If I was more worried about two-legged varmints, then a M1860 Henry Repeating rifle in .44 rimfire (presuming we are talking about what was really available), although a M1860 Spencer Repeating Carbine would also serve well for both big game and bad guys.
Now if we are talking after 1873, I'd switch to a Colt's Single Action and probably keep the Spencer until 1878, when I'd switch to a .44-40 Colt's and Winchester '73.  After 1886, I'd go with a .45 Colts and a M1886 Winchester in .45-70.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2019, 09:36:56 PM »
Hard one.  What two guns would I take into the wilderness?  Well, I would choose a 7.5 inch .45 Colt SAA and 100 rds.  My second choice is my 1876 carbine in .45-60.  I'd have a belt full of cartridges and four boxes in my pack.  No telling what I'd run into the wild.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Offline Cowtown

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 85193
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2019, 11:59:17 PM »
You are going primitive camping with your family (or even by yourself).  You, of course, want protection.  You choose two guns handloaded with black powder ammo.  .Which would they be?

For me:  a 4 3/4 Ruger New Vaquero in .45 colt and a Uberti  1873 carbine in .44-40 would be suitable.

Looking over this question again...

Are we tent camping in bear country?

Anywhere near correctional facilities? (I ask because I do and have camped during prisoner escapes... unsettling at best...)

Are we camping in a 5th wheel or other hard sided camper?

Are we backpacking into the waaaaay back country?

Good discussions all.

Offline Bunk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2019, 07:24:43 AM »
Sorry but my idea of camping out is a Holiday Inn Express and really don't need a fire arm there
Bunk

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2019, 11:22:44 AM »

PLUS ONE to Bunk.

Additionally .... My idea of grub while on Safari is "Fillet Minion" or perhaps "Peasant Under Glass" all served in climate controlled comfort.

Offline Bunk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2019, 12:02:28 PM »
and, of course, washed down with a big mug of a good ale...right?
That makes me want to dig a couple of steaks out of the freezer for supper
Bunk.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com