Author Topic: Trapdoor Springfield Line-throwing gun  (Read 3815 times)

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Trapdoor Springfield Line-throwing gun
« on: January 11, 2012, 07:45:53 PM »
On Pawn Stars a gent brought in a Trapdoor Springfield line-throwing gun. He had some documentation on it, and it appeared to be legit (IIRC...I've only seen one). Cory aka "Big Hoss" says the gun would have been more valuable if it hadn't been converted, and offered the owner $600, which was about half what the owner said he wanted. Granted the pawn shop is only going to give you about 50%, I don't buy his statement about the gun being worth more if not converted. What say you?
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline G.W. Strong

• Grand Army of the Frontier, (Bvt.) Colonel, Commander of the Department of the Missouri
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • GAF, Department of the Missouri
    • Talbot's Fine Accessories
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Trapdoor Springfield Line-throwing gun
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 08:02:18 PM »
I don't know about more or less value but I know they made them from many different 19th century black powder cartridge military rifles. I have seen them made from Martini-Henrys, Remington Rolling Blocks, Sharps carbines, trapdoors and more.
George Washington "Hopalong" Strong
Grand Army of the Frontier #774, (Bvt.) Colonel commanding the Department of the Missouri.
SASS #91251
Good Guy's Posse & Bristol Plains Pistoleros
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

Offline Russell40

• Ten Killer
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 08:50:29 PM »
I like the show, but I dont think they know beans about firearms ::). The values that they place on some items makes me scratch my head. They usally have to call an "expert" in to evaluate a firearm.
Retired Texas LEO
NRA Life
U.S.Army Veteran
OEF/OIF Veteran

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:00:58 PM »

Offline JimBob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 09:13:13 PM »
Didn't catch that show but it sounds like the kid was looking at it as a "cut-down" instead of as a line throwing gun.If it had provenance as a factory or arsenal conversion to a line throwing gun I would place a greater value on it than a common type of trapdoor rifle in the same condition.There's lots of trapdoor rifles floating around,not that many line guns.They seem to place a lot of emphasis on "is it shootable" on firearms that are collectible that most collectors will never shoot,especially muzzleloaders.They're always dealing in antique and collectible guns but have very little knowledge of them outside of calling in an "expert" even on commonly collected firearms on which there is extensive information available on the net.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 09:49:35 PM »
I don't watch that show or American Pickers anymore, the wife don't like me yelling at the TV.   ::) 
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com