Author Topic: Watched 1917  (Read 1027 times)

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
Watched 1917
« on: June 07, 2020, 06:00:37 PM »
Watched 1917 the other day. Not a WW1 equipment expert but it looked dead on to me comparing it to film footage from documentaries of The Great War that I’ve seen. The way it was filmed as one seamless shot was a very unique experience and I liked it. I’m sure that it was a real monster to film that way with steady cams being carried and suspended everywhere but no rigging being visible. What a real challenge. But I found the story tedious with a lot of running around and not much action. No Saving Private Ryan, The Pacific or Band of Brothers by any means.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
Re: Watched 1917
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 08:09:22 PM »
tedious ...   that was the word  I was looking for ... ;)
in the vernacular of Filmdom ... rather than two thumbs up ...I'd use ALL thumbs !

I was looking forward to see it.... then I did ....now not so much  :-\

I'll give it ..... it's was just OK

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 08:24:03 PM »
I thought they got so caught up in minutia that it never occurred to anyone how dumb the premise was.  You don't send runners thru miles of trenchs and no mans land: you go back to brigade headquarters, pick up a phone, call General HQ in the affected sector, and the orders go out from there.  There's also things like motorcycles, aircraft dropped messages, you get the idea.  1817 would have made sense . . .
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:27:40 AM »

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 10:28:07 PM »
One of my biggest personal criticisms of this film (and many other recent "historical" stories) is the blatantly obvious pandering to modern "political correctness at the expense of historical correctness" in having mixed races in the units depicted ... something which simply did not happen back then, regardless of whether or not we "like" such facts nowadays.  Depicting the situation differently is "revisionist history".
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2020, 09:20:13 AM »
Hi

I agree that the premise was WAY off, but the rest of the movie was well done.  I think that the tedious part was done on purpose and worked out well.  Trench warfare seemed like something that would be EXTREMELY tedious, then you get shot.

Just my $0.02.
Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

Offline Dusty Tagalon

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS 32291, NCOWS L170, GAF 74
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2020, 05:04:27 PM »
I went to it before Covid, one of the worst protrails , no mans land too green, to pristine! Would love to see the the battle map that would have you traversing no mans land, even if there was a loop to traverse, with communications down, wouldn’t you have stayed in the trenches until you are at the closest point to destination? That being said, I liked it.
Dusty

Offline Marshall Mims

• Watching the Store
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2020, 03:10:33 PM »
The movie was interesting, and I would recommend it to anyone that is prepared to view hand-to-hand combat, or other graphic scenes of war.
NRA, RBRR, RATS #335

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com