Author Topic: Holster and belt recommendations and where to buy?  (Read 3199 times)

Offline Hrundi from Canuckistan

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Holster and belt recommendations and where to buy?
« on: December 28, 2019, 07:02:34 PM »
I am an older person but interested in doing some club-level western shooting. I have a Colt 1873 5.5" in .45 LC and would like to buy a proper holster or two holsters if need be and belt. I don't know if I will be needing to purchase a second revolver.

I would be appreciative of all recommendations of the type of holster/belt and places to buy from. I am aware of El Paso Saddlery but I have no idea what and where to buy. I have looked at the offering from El Paso Saddlery.

Thanks in advance for your kind assistance 

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
Re: Holster and belt recommendations and where to buy?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 09:48:36 PM »
There several Makers that Make fine holsters right here on the Cas City BB

In no particular order here are some of them there are others

Mark Whyte Leatherworks
Cliff Fendley
Rick Bachman
Buck Stinson
David Carrico
Skeeter Lewis

I have no dog in the fight but any of these makers are TOP QUALITY

I don't know were you reside , but look into NCOWS.org   they (we) have several  one pistol & one Rifle categories classes

SASS does require two pistols
when planets align...do the deal !

• Citizen
  • Liked:
!
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 11:56:32 PM »
Thanks for your helpful reply Major 2!

I live in Canada and will be buying from the USA, our "Canuckistani dollar" is worth 70 cents and there will be a 13% tax and a processing fee.

So I will be buying a belt and two holsters, will be needing an additional revolver and perhaps a Vaquero or an Uberti can't buy another Colt and they are hard to find. Hope the different make of revolver will not be a big impediment.

Don't know whether perhaps the left holster could be a cross-draw type or should I just stick to the standard holsters and regular cant.

I have only seen the offering on the El Paso website and tend to like the authentic reproductions based on the looks but they also have CAS action shooting ones as well which are likely above what I need.   

I do not know how to get in touch with the makers you have listed but would like to.  I wonder if some have websites?

Thanks again.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:52:30 PM »

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 636
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2019, 12:57:42 AM »
Major 2 made some good recommendations. I only have much experience with one of those holster makers, Rick Bachman, who goes by the alias of Buck Stinson, but I recommend him very highly. His work is superb and very authentic. Here is his website: http://www.oldwestreproductions.com/ .

Really, I can't speak too highly of his work.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 362
Re: !
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2019, 09:56:43 AM »
Thanks for your helpful reply Major 2!

I live in Canada and will be buying from the USA, our "Canuckistani dollar" is worth 70 cents and there will be a 13% tax and a processing fee.

So I will be buying a belt and two holsters, will be needing an additional revolver and perhaps a Vaquero or an Uberti can't buy another Colt and they are hard to find. Hope the different make of revolver will not be a big impediment.

Don't know whether perhaps the left holster could be a cross-draw type or should I just stick to the standard holsters and regular cant.

I have only seen the offering on the El Paso website and tend to like the authentic reproductions based on the looks but they also have CAS action shooting ones as well which are likely above what I need.   

I do not know how to get in touch with the makers you have listed but would like to.  I wonder if some have websites?

Thanks again.

Perhaps a google search would find a maker in Canada. That said I've shipped a lot of rigs to Canada but have no idea what the purchaser goes through on any kind of customs taxes or anything.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2019, 01:53:06 PM »
I have found Amazon and eBay offerings and some dealers with out of stock Triple K holsters and out of stock belts .

The custom duties are to be expected but what really hurts is the low Canadian dollar. That being said, I will still be ordering from a USA maker just need to be able to be sure I order the correct holsters and belt. 

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2019, 05:43:27 PM »
Hrindi,
The Uberti reproductions and New Model Vaquero will fit in a holster made for a Colt SA.  I ship to Canada on a regular basis.  If you find something of interest on my web site, I  would highly recommend that we discuss your needs over the phone.  (406)273-2615  Montana.

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2019, 09:38:20 PM »
 Thanks Buck!

I will be giving you a call in the New Year.

BTW Hrundi is the first name of the character played by Peter Sellers in the movie called The Party and the characters full name is Hrundi Bakshi.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063415/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2019, 11:07:44 PM »
Since Buck has responded, I suppose it is okay to suggest going to www.gunfighter.com/trailrider for a look at some pictures.
Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year to all!
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 362
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2019, 08:13:18 PM »
I have found Amazon and eBay offerings and some dealers with out of stock Triple K holsters and out of stock belts .

The custom duties are to be expected but what really hurts is the low Canadian dollar. That being said, I will still be ordering from a USA maker just need to be able to be sure I order the correct holsters and belt.

Correct holsters are easy for what you are needing. I mostly make custom orders but probably have a dozen in stock for a 5 1/2 SAA. The belt is where you need to make sure of your sizing. I normally send sizing belts when needed but never have out of country because not sure how that would work.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline c.o.jones

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2019, 04:45:06 PM »
OLD WEST REPRODUCTIONS......... Rick makes holsters and belts and knife sheaths that you can be proud of. Excellent quality. I have been in this game over 20 years. He has made all my gear since day 1.
NCOWS 1097
Kansas Vigilance Committee
SASS 5610 Life
NRA Life
VFW Life
USMC Forever

Offline reno

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: #810
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2020, 12:28:22 PM »
The ones I have had make rigs for me were Rick Bachman of Old West Reproductions, which was excellent, and as good as you can get, and also Carrico, but don't know if it was the father of David that did two rigs for me which I really liked, but asked him to do a couple more, but refused as I must have said  something to upset him, but the rigs were like they were right out of the 1800s old west and excellent also.
Hope this helps,
Reno

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2020, 06:30:08 PM »
Thanks to everyone for their assistance with providing contacts to place an order.

I have a Colt SAA 5.5" and ordered a tuned Uberti Cattleman 5.5" with Wolfe springs installed, both in .45 LC.

Don't know whether to order both straight hang or the left as a cross draw? Suppose the thong is not needed and cant is irrelevant for me perhaps.

Any further advice or contact phone numbers/websites is welcome, I can only buy once so need to get it right. 

Offline reno

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: #810
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2020, 09:25:07 AM »
If you want to see some of Buck's work from Old West Reproductions take a look at the rig I have in Classifieds. It won't work for you as it comes with a 7 1/2" holster,  but might give you a look at his work, which is excellent. Here's a few pictures.
Reno

Offline Quick Draw McGraw

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2020, 02:14:06 PM »
There several Makers that Make fine holsters right here on the Cas City BB

In no particular order here are some of them there are others

Mark Whyte Leatherworks
Cliff Fendley
Rick Bachman
Buck Stinson
David Carrico
Skeeter Lewis

Thank you for the list of holster makers.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2020, 03:12:58 PM »
Well ..I failed to mention a few others

with apologies to Trailrider ( I have one of his   :))  Homer Brown and Will Gormley.

no need to apologize to  Rick Bachman/Buck Stinson  ;) seems I mentioned him twice  :)
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1155
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2020, 03:19:00 PM »
Greetings My Good Hrundi -

BTW Hrundi is the first name of the character played by Peter Sellers in the movie called The Party and the characters full name is Hrundi Bakshi.

Birdie Num-Nums?

Thanks to everyone for their assistance with providing contacts to place an order.
I have a Colt SAA 5.5" and ordered a tuned Uberti Cattleman 5.5" with Wolfe springs installed, both in .45 LC.
Don't know whether to order both straight hang or the left as a cross draw? Suppose the thong is not needed and cant is irrelevant for me perhaps.
Any further advice or contact phone numbers/websites is welcome, I can only buy once so need to get it right.

If by "thong" you mean a leg tie, I do not care for them, but everyone has an opinion.

If you mean a "hammer thong" I highly recommend having it!
Since we are not trying to play "quick draw gunfight in the streets" , I feel (™   your mileage may vary)   pistol retention is a serious plus
after having one try to fall out of my holster whilst bending over ( did I say that out loud?) ....

Straight Hang vs Cant?  Again it is up to the individual... but I like both!

With all respect to the prior named excellent craftsmen and their work.....
Since I am a cheap barstitch frugal fellow I like to haunt old west flea markets, and the "used leather bin" at our local establishments,
so it has been easy for me to pick up a few different pieces inexpensively and try them out. Further, as a DIYer, insane hobbyist, and wellknown pennypincher I have a tendency to try to make my own stuff, and whilst it may be ugly as hell not too pretty, my attempts at holsters are both functional and cheap inexpensive  ( are you seeing a pattern here?)  So it is easy for me  to try out different things.

I myself started with storebought Oklahoma Leather "Hickock" butt forward  holsters like this voer 20 years ago...

mainly because
 - the slim jim is style is accurate to the C&B era and later
 - the Hickock style has been documentated as historically accurate
 - they were on sale
 - I had a coupon

Some ranges do not like "reverse twist draw" but it is easy to accomodate them slowly by stepping so as to avoid the
dreaded 180 degree sweep :-) and  doing a crossdraw  .... I will never be fast   :P

The big thing for me, is to have a canted crosswdraw for the 7-8" long barrels, otherwise I torque my arms something terrible.
Also, a crossdraw on the left side can be slid towards the navel enough that the "sweep" is not sop dramatic.

If the barrel is only 4 5/8 or 5 1/2 " a straight hang crossdraw may work fine if it does not interfere for you whilst with sitting, walking, bending, etc

also one must get used to having the butts sticking out and perhaps banging into stuff... tables, posts, trees, cart handles, freinds, neighbors....

BTW an individuals belly  waist size and phyuical build can dramatically affect the decision of  "canted vs straight"
hope this helps

prof marvel, ( the frugal sort)
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2020, 04:46:52 PM »
Howdy Professor Marvel!

Yes, Birdie Num Nums.

We have Bramptonstan here as well in Canuickistan so very plenty of Hrundis. I don't recall what tong I was tinking about at that time.

Anyways, I got a Kirkpatrick two holster rig at a slight cant and a shell belt. Beautiful product but rather on the high dollar side but appears to be worth the outlay of cash. And it has a hammer thongs!

Ranges are closed so no place to go shooting yet. Sure hope this Corona gets tamed because it could be even worse and nobody knows but it does not look good.

I have two Colts, had to order the second from the USA and what a PITA that was but I got it. I think California as I recall dealers refused to sell if it was going to be exported. And a Uberti Taylor tuned for backup but I wanted original Colts Made in the USA. 

A Rossi Overland, CZ beauty (made in Turkey) and  Norinco 97 shotguns, and Miroku Winchester 1873 octagonal and Miroku Winchester 1892 carbine in .45 LC. All unfired because of range clousures.

Might get a real Winchester 1897 if the right one surfaces. Was offered a reblued 1956 presented to me as like new! Also, early 1911 and 1912 in unknown condition for reliablitly.

If by "thong" you mean a leg tie, I do not care for them, but everyone has an opinion.
If you mean a "hammer thong" I highly recommend having it!
Since we are not trying to play "quick draw gunfight in the streets" , I feel (™   your mileage may vary)   pistol retention is a serious plus
after having one try to fall out of my holster whilst bending over ( did I say that out loud?) ....

Offline Quick Draw McGraw

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2020, 10:26:55 PM »
If you want to see some of Buck's work from Old West Reproductions take a look at the rig I have in Classifieds. It won't work for you as it comes with a 7 1/2" holster,  but might give you a look at his work, which is excellent. Here's a few pictures.
Reno

Too bad I missed these - exactly what I am seeking..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com