Author Topic: Standard Manufacturing Company SAA  (Read 7706 times)

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
Re: Standard Manufacturing Company SAA
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2019, 02:37:29 PM »
When I noticed how long the video is, I put off watching it until I had more time and could pay attention.  I finally watched it last night.  Really great info, some stuff I knew and a lot of details new to me.  Thanks for posting that, Virginia Gentleman.

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2019, 08:00:59 PM »
When I noticed how long the video is, I put off watching it until I had more time and could pay attention.  I finally watched it last night.  Really great info, some stuff I knew and a lot of details new to me.  Thanks for posting that, Virginia Gentleman.

Glad you enjoyed it and you are welcome sir.

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2019, 02:27:41 AM »
My Good Gentleman

I am remiss in forgetting to thank you also! That video is several cuts above most u-toobs
in quality factual content. Much to be learned there, e?en tho I am prejudiced against the genre.

I shall be taking written notes from it and I must remember to be sure to ascribe credit to the author...
director... video maker.

Thank You
Prof Marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 11:55:41 AM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2019, 06:12:48 AM »
My Good Gentleman

I am remiss in forgetting to thank you also! That video is several cuts above most u-toobs
in quality factual content. Much to be learned there, e?en tho I am prejudiced against the genre.

I shall be taking written notes from it and I must remember to be sure to ascribe credit to the author...
director... video maker.

Thank You
Prof Marvel

That would be our own OD3 his efforts in video on our behalf ( namely the HRA Henry , the Murukku/Winchester 73  and this 4 SSA presentation are nothing short of fine information and his skill with a screwdriver , video camera and as presenter have made me a fan of his work.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline smokin6

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2019, 02:19:57 AM »
Good video. Lots of info.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2019, 08:19:45 AM »
I don't believe that washer under the mainspring is factory Uberti. My Cimarrons do not have it.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 123
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2019, 10:07:57 AM »
No, not factory. It's a tuning "device". Most folks use a flat washer rather than a split washer. Sometimes you can get the mainspring tension you want with the washer (depending on all the other work done) alone or if a little less is called for, minor grinding on the main itself is better than grinding more off the main.  Probably not as big a factor on mains, but I've seen combination springs broken because of a split washer (rather than a solid) used. It presents a stress point. If a split washer is all you have, tweak it so there's no "spring" to it.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @goonsgunworks

Offline Rex Mahan

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2019, 02:06:42 PM »
Since we have the topic of Standared SAA up Im reposting my experience to help potential buyers know what they may deal with.

I?ve had a 6-month long experience with Standard Firearms.  First I watched the video reviews and decided to go for it. I was looking for another USFA but decided Standard would fit what I wanted.  A USA made gun with all USA parts made of high quality. I ordered a 4 ? normal gun with no enhancements.  I even talked a Gun Shop into buying some to resale.
When mine came in it had two issues. One I immediately noticed was that the Case Coloring was not uniform in Brightness. To get the issues remedied I called Standard and was advised to email my concerns with pictures.  The girls that answer the phones are really nice; however, they don?t have much authority and have to forward emails to the ?shop?.  I emailed with pictures. At first, they claimed to not see what I was concerned about.  Eventually they sent a call tag: once they received the gun, they saw the problem.  As it turns out, the gun was missing some clear coat on a section of the frame and loading gate. They did fix that, and it looks good.
Now, at the same time I noticed a dark spot inside the barrel on the muzzle end.  I asked Standard to examine that as well as the Case Coloring.  First, they said they didn?t see anything and emailed me pictures of the barrel saying it wasn?t there; however, it was clearly visible in the pictures they sent. I pushed the issue further and was then told that the area was from their bluing process and that sometimes blue will get into that part of the barrel. To fix this they decided to clean the barrel/ re-polish it.  They resent the gun back to me and at first glance it looked nice; however, that didn?t last long.
I took the gun to my gunsmith and had the bore measured. As it turns out the bore measured .443 on the muzzle end for about ?? deep where it was dark.  The rest of the barrel measured .441.  To add to the misery, the grips where now chipped, probably from being removed. So, I contacted the Standard and again.  They re-sent a call tag which I do appreciate. This time they replaced the barrel and refinished the grips. They sent it back to me.
After receiving the gun back, the metal looks good. However, now the grips are not Proud and even low in a couple of areas. So, I?ve been back in contact with them.  I?ve been told to contact to owner who is not responding from 3 Emails I?ve sent. 

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2019, 04:02:14 PM »
Deja Vu all over again  :-\  haven't I read this post elsewhere and some weeks ago ...like August 20, 2019 ?

Sorry for your luck ....  $2000 out of pocket , and they are jerking you around
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2019, 06:10:22 PM »

Yep.  Remember this tale of woe from a while back.  A shame actually.  Lay out 2 grand plus and wind up with a "parts gun" and be yanked around in the process is ludicrous.

I normally don't really like unloading on a manufacturer on an open forum such as this one.  Vengeance is best kept aside but I can certainly make an exception for this goat rope.  Standard could have put the gun in the "Blems Bin" and sent you a brandy new gun.

Offline Rex Mahan

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2019, 06:41:37 PM »
Major and Coffinmaker.  Its not been friendly at all.  The reason I reposted is that the moderator removed it saying my post wasn't relevant to USFA.  My purpose is to just state facts and not run them down. USFA owners are one of the most likely people to buy a high quality piece. Members here should know.  Plus a previous post on the same thread says others have had cosmetic issues also.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com