Author Topic: Polychoke on shotguns  (Read 4629 times)

Offline Border Ruffian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Polychoke on shotguns
« on: July 16, 2012, 08:29:57 AM »
I'm not a shotgunner.  Does anyone know when the Polychoke was invented andavailable?  I have found online Polychoke advertising going back to 1953, but is there anything earlier?  I have one on my Model 12, the gun was made in 1913 but a recoil pad and poly choke were added afterwards, my guess is the 1950s.  I think I'll have the barrel bobbed to 20 inches and a more appropiate 1930s style recoil pad installed.

http://oldschoolguns.blogspot.com/  A place for Classic Firearms

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
Re: Polychoke on shotguns
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 10:23:37 AM »
Choke boring shotguns to improve patterns has probably come around an unknown number of times.  Greener, in his book THE GUN, and its developement states the first person he had been able ascertain knew the benefits of choke was Jeremiah Smith of Southfield R.I. in 1827. The idea was patented in England by Pape in 1866.  In America the idea of choking guns is attributed to Kimball, a market hunter, but tests found patterns to be irregular in practise. Irregular patterns were gradually improved as the machining skills of gunmakers improved though time. Greener, the English gunmaker, learned of choke boring from a customer in 1874. He worked on the idea and  probably did the most to study, understand and to popularize the practise of choke-boring. By 1875 the topic of chokes was very active in the popular sporting press in both the US and England.

The first changeable choke system was patented by Roper in America six weeks prior to Pape's patent.  On April 10, 1866 he patented a short ring threaded over the muzzle of a single barrel gun with a short adrupt choke.  The idea was dropped as the rotary magazine system of his gun failed to gain many sales.

The POLY CHOKE seems to go back to the 1920's;

http://www.poly-choke.com/
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Stu Kettle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 10:27:12 AM »
The Poly Choke company's web site says they have been in continuous operation for "over 80 years" which would put them well in the time period.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:08:00 AM »

Offline Border Ruffian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 01:02:50 PM »
Excellent, Gentlemen thank you!
http://oldschoolguns.blogspot.com/  A place for Classic Firearms

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk