Author Topic: First batch of 30-40  (Read 6433 times)

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
Re: First batch of 30-40
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2008, 07:53:50 PM »
I've been using the Lyman #311284 218 grain bullet for years, and they feed extremely well.  As mentioned before, the overall length seems to be the overriding issue.  As for speed, with practice you can undertake aimed fire almost as fast as with a lever action.  (Obviously, that statement does not apply at the usual CAS distances.)  They have a really slick bolt.

I witnessed Mr. Niederlander work some magic with the Krag at the last Grand Muster, and I want to lodge a complaint.

He was cycling his Krag faster than the lever gun shooters. And had the gall to actually hit every target at which he was aiming!

Not fair,- the man must practice or something. >:(

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Charles Isaac

• Grand Army of the Frontier
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2008, 08:00:56 PM »
I will have to read up on cast bullet .30 rifle reloading work up some loads. I suppose I need to buy a swager. A lot of great info here, thanks.

Offline Charles Isaac

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2008, 08:01:45 PM »
I witnessed Mr. Niederlander work some magic with the Krag at the last Grand Muster, and I want to lodge a complaint.

He was cycling his Krag faster than the lever gun shooters. And had the gall to actually hit every target at which he was aiming!

Not fair,- the man must practice or something. >:(

Ah Ha! We have among us one that works our Norwegian designed  beauty with both speed and deadly precision!

You are much too modest Mr. Niederlander. Do tell Sir, what is your method?

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 07:39:27 PM »

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2008, 09:35:33 PM »
Hello!
    Not much to it!  Hold the rifle into your shoulder with your left hand, and keep your stock weld all the time you're shooting.  (Don't take the rifle off your shoulder between shots.)  When you work the bolt, the bolt handle should make a "ball and socket" joint with your hand.  (I learned how to do this from an article by Ross Seifried.)  Then just practice, practice, and more practice!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Charles Isaac

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2008, 11:53:13 PM »
Very good Sir!

Palming the bolt knob works well for me with the Lee Metford, but my fingers sometimes strike the loading gate of the Krag, so I have always just grasped the bolt handle with the thumb and first two fingers. You have proven this method will work with the Krag, so I will try it again.

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2008, 08:07:42 AM »
I never thought of that problem, as it's never happened to me, but I can see where it could cause problems.  I sometimes struggle with getting my hand tangled in the sling.  Let me know how it goes for you.  By the way, I've always wanted a Lee-Metford, but that's one I'll probably have to live without.  Neat rifles!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com