Author Topic: Odd CW ?, need help.  (Read 1904 times)

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 470
Odd CW ?, need help.
« on: November 13, 2006, 10:11:46 AM »
I'm hoping someone can give me a little info.

I have two Minie bullets scavenged from CW campsites around Fredericksburg that had evidently been pulled from rifles.
One has the marks left by the spiral arms of a worm puller, and the other has the threaded hole left by a screw puller.

My question is could one type of puller be more identifiable to a particular side? (My guess would be that the worm type was more prone to be Confederate and the screw type Union. Nothing to base this on, though.)

My cousins live in the area north of Fredericksburg near Falmouth, the whole area of which was Union encampment for quite some time. We also would go to friends of their's property to the southwest of Marye's Heights and spend afternoons with the metal detector looking for relics. Unfortunately I never noted where a particular item was picked up. This in the summer of 1961 and I was ten years old, and my family lived there for that year. I remember that interest was high due to the centennial and we boys spent many hours digging for treasure.

The reason I am curious to identify one type as peculiar to one side is that I am putting together a pair of shadow boxes, one Union and the other Confederate, but they will each contain the same specific items. i.e a tintype of a soldier, a paper banknote, a stamp, and the appropriate Minie ball, all placed against a backdrop of photographic reprints of Brady pictures,- one showing a Union regt. marching through a Northern town, and the other taken from across the Rappahannock River looking towards the ruins of Fredericksburg with Confederate troops posing on a damaged train trestle.

Anyway, this may be a bit of an obscure point to get answered, but I appreciate any consideration.

John 
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Odd CW ?, need help.
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 10:16:16 AM »
Not really, as worms and pullers were more or less 'standard pattern' as far as the working ends went, and were ubiqitous.

For your purposes - either will work well.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 470
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 10:28:34 AM »
Thank you St. George.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:12:18 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com