Author Topic: KANSAS GRAND ARMY OF THE FRONTIER CHAMPIONSHIP SHOOT March 24 & 25, 2007  (Read 9526 times)

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
Re: KANSAS GRAND ARMY OF THE FRONTIER CHAMPIONSHIP SHOOT March 24 & 25, 2007
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2006, 01:33:40 PM »
That about brackets it. Fire for effect. :D

Usually more apt to belly crawl during a stage at a GAF shoot. . . . .
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Bow View Haymaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2006, 01:42:57 PM »
Thanks for the info.  Like I said I am not sure where I fit in yet but It looks like you guys have a great time.  I like the history aspect but just don't know much about it. 
I do have a 1917 enfield in .30-06 but That doesn't quite fit.  I'll have to see how my persona develops between now and then. 
thanks again for the info.  It sounds like fun.

Haymaker.
Bow View Haymaker

GAF #522  Dept of the Platte
SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

www.HighPlainsShootersSupply.com

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2006, 02:17:56 PM »
Haymaker,
Hope you don't think you necessarily need a military rifle to shoot GAF.  I shot this past two musters with a Cimarron 5 1/2" Peacemaker and a 73 Winchester, neither of which was authentic to my 1890's era Marine, or Civil War Artillery Captain.  GAF shoots are presently designed using CAS-type guns, with the military arms being in a proposed separate category - that would prevent the muzzle-loaders and single-shots from having a disadvantage against the lever guns.  If you have the guns to shoot CAS - a pistol (only need one!) and a pistol-caliber rifle - come on up and join the fun!  You don't even have to be an official, dues-paying member (dues $00.00/year) of GAF to shoot
GG
"Stand, gentlemen; he served on Samar"

GAF #301

Advertising

Offline Bristow Kid

• I've got a touch of hangover beuracrate. Don't push me
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Matthew(Matt) Bohach
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2006, 02:43:07 PM »
Haymaker,

I participated in the last GAF Muster in my persona of a teamster.  Nobody seemed to mind my not having a uniform.  The guys and gals in GAF are a great bunch.  I am gonna try and make it to Topeka this spring.  Look forward to shooting with old pards and meeting new ones.

Bristow Kid
Prayer Posse
SCORRS
NCOWS #2540
Grand Army of the Frontier #437
Department of the Missouri
PWDFR #149
RATS #233
SASS #68717
WARTHOG

Offline Chantilly

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2006, 02:11:23 PM »
We welcome all of you to the GAF shoot in Topeka and look forward to having you join us! 

This will be a two gun shoot - 1 pistol and 1 lever action rifle for the main match.  We will work to see about getting some other guns staged for the shooters. 

There will be plenty of time Saturday afternoon for side matches - and this will include a Wild Bunch Side Match (Major Lewis are you volunteering to run the Wild Bunch??) so you'll want to throw in a 1911 and 97 shotgun.  I'm sure there will be people here willing to loan weapons if you need something. 

We have not talked about including a postal match but I'm wondering if that might be a good addition.  We have plenty of range space for 50 yard targets...  I'll need to check the rules, targets, etc.   Anyone interested in a postal match on Saturday afternoon??

We'll get some more of the details worked out and be sure to keep you updated. 
A six-shooter makes men and women equal.  - Agnes Morley Cleaveland (1818-1889)

I should like a little fun now and then.  Life is altogether too sober.  - Elizabeth Blackwell (1821-1910)

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2006, 06:52:42 PM »
Chantilly,

How about instead of a WB Match, we just offer the Pike Class?
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2006, 10:17:59 PM »
That would be kinda cool - a pike is like a heavy spear ain't it? Somewhere between a spear and a halberd, I think?  I think a "billhook" is a type of pike.  Or are you talking fish?  Would that be a great northern pike, or a walleye?  Walleys have weird eyes, ya know?  Kinda glow in the dark - not really, but they seem like it. I like bass fishin, but walleye's better eatin'. Did you know a walleye's just a big perch?  They're not really perch, just related.  I like perch fishin' too, but ya gotta catch a lot to have a good meal....What were you talking about?  Wait a minnit , I gotta go get more coffee.......

Happy Halloween!!!!! (yeah, I know it's tomorrow, but I'm too wired to wait)

GAF #301

Offline Bristow Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Matthew(Matt) Bohach
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2006, 06:00:33 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Prayer Posse
SCORRS
NCOWS #2540
PWDFR #149
RATS #233
SASS #68717
WARTHOG

Offline Bow View Haymaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2006, 10:56:23 AM »
Ok ,
besides the 1917-.30-06

I have a rossie'92 in .357, a ruger blackhawk in same, a .44 rem new army repro. an old 12gaSXS, and a H&R .45-70 handi rifle.

I dress in bib overall with a vintage shirt and straw hat.  So can I fit in somewhere?
 I am going to try to mark out the time on my calender. 
Bow View Haymaker

GAF #522  Dept of the Platte
SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

www.HighPlainsShootersSupply.com

Offline Pvt Hoover

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2006, 01:16:02 PM »
Whoaa, somebody get aholt of Guns before he really gets off the deep end.  Ive seen runaway horses that wernt that raddled.  Sure enough dont let him get too close to anything sharp. 

Haymaker,
You will fit right in 

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2006, 05:29:43 PM »
I'm feeling much better now.

GAF #301

Offline Bristow Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Matthew(Matt) Bohach
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2006, 07:43:26 PM »
Major Matt,

My 1858 Remmies are on the way.  Will be practicing with them too this winter incase theirs a Plainsman Match.  So I can give ya a run for your money in that match too.  Might even practice duelist this winter so we will almost be in the same catagory.  Loved shooting with you and Guns and all the rest at Ackley.  Look forward to shooting with y'all again in March if I can make it.

Bristow Kid
Prayer Posse
SCORRS
NCOWS #2540
PWDFR #149
RATS #233
SASS #68717
WARTHOG

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2006, 10:22:29 PM »
A pike is indeed a long military spear.  Common in the pre gunpowder era, but still in use in the early N. American colonial era.

A halberd or halbert was a pike with blades on opposing sides, usuall a spike on one side and some form of axe blade on the other.  Webster says 15th & 16th Cent. but used later as an emblem of rank by the British Army and American Rev. War Army. 

The spontoon or espontoon was a short pike with projections on opposing sides, usually round bars with a ball, or acorn end.  This was a Company commanders symbol of authority in the AWI and was used as an easily visible rally point in battle.

The billhook was a tool used by farmers to trim branched in orchards and by the Engineers to cut fascines for building field fortifications.  It takes the form of an upside down J with the curve sharpended on the inside.  Some had an additional cutting surface added to the opposite side of the long portion.  It is also called a fascine knife.  Most have short handles and have been replaced in our time by the machete for general use.  The bill hook would still be used in orchards, I imagine.

All of the above can be found in the "Illustrated Encyclopedia of the American Revolution" [Hope that is the correct title.  Mine is in the other room somewhere.

Maj. Matt,

Inquiring minds want to know more about the "Pike Class"!!!!

Regards,

Capt. R.H. Dorian
Brv't. LtC, Chief Topog. Engineer
aka Dr. Bob  NOCWS Senate Candidate
Grand Army of the Frontier
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2006, 09:04:28 PM »
Dr. Bob,

The Pike class was named after the William Holden Character in the movie The Wild Bunch....

Shoot the class with a .45 ACP.
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com