Author Topic: If You Could Meet ...  (Read 4938 times)

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
If You Could Meet ...
« on: September 09, 2006, 12:52:46 PM »
A)  If you could spend 24 hours with anyone in American history (pre-WW I), who would it be?

B)  If you could witness any event in American history, what would it be?  (either as an "outside observer" or participant)

My answers:

A) Theodore Roosevelt - cowboy, rancher, big-game hunter, soldier, made the USA a World Power.

B)  A lot to choose from - Signing of the Declaration of Independence, some of the Consitutional debates (bet that was spirited), Lewis and Clark's Expedition, Hampton Roads, the Gettysburg Address, surrender at Appomattox, Little Big Horn (I'd choose "outside observer" on that one, tho it would be tough to watch), the Rough Riders in action, sail with the Great White Fleet.

What are your choices?
"Stand, gentlemen; he served on Samar"

GAF #301

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 470
Re: If You Could Meet ...
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 01:41:35 PM »
Benjamin Franklin.

The Minutemen making their stand on the green and the shot heard round the world.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 01:57:35 PM »
Thank you for asking!
It would be a great pleasure to meet and listen to my Alias namesake, Gabriel Strand, my Great-Grandfather. He emmigrated from Norway in the early 1860's, right smack dab in the middle of the C.W. he rode the rails and settled in Iowa at the end of the rail line. Looking for work he then hired on with the same railroad as an interpreter since he could speak English. He worked his way up the ladder with the rail company til they finished the 'Driving of the Golden Spike', and yes, he is in that famous picture; he is the one in the black hat, white shirt and black coat.
After the rail line started their regular schedules and were running somewhat smoothly, he returnd to Iowa and settled at the same place he started, buying and selling land and woodlots for rail ties, etc., for various rail companies. He helped establish a community for other Norwegian immigrants, later married his housekeeper and fathered a large family, living til the onset of the Great Depression in the 1930's. His lifetime was chock full of history and I think it would be a treat to listen to him tell about his life during those historic years...leaving your home and sailing for months over icy-cold waters, up rivers through uncharted land, learning a new language as he went further and further West and finally stopping in the midst of a Prairie where Buffalo and Antelope still played, and yes, there were still a few small herds left then.
Yep, I think I'd ask one question: "Great-Grandpa, tell me all about your life...", after that I'd listen, as long as I could.
Best regards and good thinking!
'Ol Gabe

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:50:48 AM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2006, 02:35:27 PM »
A. Honorable David Crockett ... Congressman, frontiersmen

B. Alamo & San Jacinto

another would be ...

A. Capt. JJ Dickinson
B. the sinking of the Union Gunboat Collumbine by Dickinson' s Co. of 2nd. Florida Cavalry
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Beau

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 09:15:54 AM »
I realize this is an older posting,  but I could not resist mentioning my gguncle James Hans Kelling.

3rd Sgt.  2nd Iowa Cavalry, Co F.    Enlisted in '61, many encounters with enemy, but never wounded, survived the war, settled between Muscatine and Tipton, Iowa.
Griersons Raid into mississippi would be very interesting to hear about.

Secondly,  I would also like to meet T.R.   What an interesting man he was.

Unkle Beau

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 10:27:22 AM »
Lieutenant Colonel George Armstrong Custer
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 11:59:03 AM »
General John Joseph "Black Jack" Pershing

As an outside observer I'd like to witness the battle of Gettysberg,PA, from the first skirmish to the last retreat.

Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 09:04:34 PM »
Joshua Chamberlain

The Battle of Little Round Top
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

Offline Frenchie

• "We have met the enemy, and he is us." - Pogo
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Photo by Julio Zangroniz @ "September Storm", 2007
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 09:55:54 PM »
Abraham Lincoln.

I'd like to be able to say that I stood on the grassy knoll looking down on Dealy Plaza in Dallas, Texas on November 22, 1963 - and I was alone.
Yours, &c.,

Guy 'Frenchie' LaFrance
Vous pouvez voir par mes vĂȘtements que je ne suis pas un cowboy.

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2006, 10:34:28 PM »
I would want to meet Andrew Jackson. He was a great commander and was President.  It would be quite interesting to see if he was what we think he was.

The event would be the Centenial Exposition of 1876.  So many inventions were introduced there and a chance to see how every day folks dressed, talked and dealt with each other.

Great topic.  Made me think which is a good thing.
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Spanish Marshal

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2006, 11:35:19 AM »

With your permission, Sir:

a. Lieutenant Colonel George Armstrong Custer.

b. With a Cavalry Regiment in the indian wars.

Spanish Marshal
Warthog

"Buena suerte amigo"

Offline Ottawa Creek Bill

• Vietnam Vet 1966,67 First place, Southeast Asia Rifle Team, "66/67"
  • Top Active Citizen
  • OCB, A Newer, More Gentler NCOWS Member...........
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2006, 02:23:33 PM »
F&I Time Period

A. Obwandiag (Pontiac)

B. The Battle/Sieg of Fort Pitt, from outside the Fort, if you get my drift...

Old West/Cvil War Time Period

A. Gen. Stands Watie (the last Confederate General to surrender)

B. Battle of Pea Ridge

OCB
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2006, 04:32:36 PM »
1. Leonardo da Vinci.  He isn't American, but still...

2. So many...so many...I can't choose.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2006, 03:42:51 AM »
I was actually thinking along similar lines the other day, while reading a novel on time travel. Got me to thinking about being transported back in time and how I would deal with LIVING back then.

Like others, this is too hard to answer with just a single answer, and I'm going to follow Ottawa Creek Bill's precedent:

Colonial Period
Sir William Johnson and sit in one of his councils with the Six Nations

Civil War Period
George Henry Thomas

Indian War Period
Ranald Sliddell Mackenzie

US Scout
Bvt Brig Gen

Offline Cannon Fodder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2006, 09:22:59 PM »
Post Ordnance Sgt Leodegar Schnyder

Swiss immigrant who joins 6th US Infantry  in 1837 and  is stationed at Ft Laramie  in the 1850s  as post ordnance sgt for 37 years.
He retires in 1890 with 53 years total service!!
I think he saw it all!!!!
He inspired  my SASS/GAF character. However since post ordnance sgts stayed in one place,I have gone to a parallel  career  of 52 years with 35 years as a quartermaster sgt so I dont have to be on the front lines, broken down as follows:
1. 15 years infantry - 1831-1846, 6th US Infantry  - Black Hawk War,(1832); 2nd Seminole War(1837-1841)
2. 15 years mounted - 1846-1851,US Mounted Rifles- Mexican War and epic journey of USMR to Oregon in 1849. I do such a "good" job on this journey as quartermaster sgt,that Col W W Loring will not promote me  to regimental sgt major ( lifetime goal -never make it-stay quartermaster sgt for rest of career!). Irritated, I transfer to US 2nd Dragoons ,1851-1861. I am involved with the  punitive expedition against the Lakota at Ash Hollow -1855,and the Mormon Expedition in 1857-8.When CW starts and all mounted regiments are redesignated as cavalry(no dragoons or usmr!) I  transfer out and go to the artillery.
Im still structuring the next 22 years! Anyone want to help???         CF

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2006, 10:51:14 AM »
2. 15 years mounted - 1846-1851,US Mounted Rifles- Mexican War and epic journey of USMR to Oregon in 1849. I do such a "good" job on this journey as quartermaster sgt,that Col W W Loring will not promote me  to regimental sgt major ( lifetime goal -never make it-stay quartermaster sgt for rest of career!). Irritated, I transfer to US 2nd Dragoons ,1851-1861. I am involved with the  punitive expedition against the Lakota at Ash Hollow -1855,and the Mormon Expedition in 1857-8.When CW starts and all mounted regiments are redesignated as cavalry(no dragoons or usmr!) I  transfer out and go to the artillery.
Im still structuring the next 22 years! Anyone want to help???         CF

Our personas just missed each other!

I was in the Mounted Rifles from 1855-60, getting out to chase gold in Colorado but ended up trading with the Arapaho and Shoshone instead.  The war came along and I enlisted in the Colorado Volunteers (later the 2nd Colorado). 

US Scout
Bvt Brig Gen

Offline Cannon Fodder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2006, 04:14:17 PM »
U S Scout

Dear Sir

I hope you are recovering  well  from your surgery. I think I can speak for all of us in GAF that we  appreciate all of your past efforts and hopefully, future efforts for our organization.

Because of our past communications, I am trying to work the Mississippi Marine Brigade into my persona(1862-1864) . When they muster out,I go west(probably Cal) and I think hook up with  4th US artillery.I am still researching this but I am fascinated with their participation in the Modoc Wars(1871-2).

Other GAF historians  -come on guys,help me out with the last 20+ years(1864+ -1884) with emphasis on west coast and artillery.

Thanks,CF

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2006, 04:51:46 PM »
Gentlemen:

I have the honor to reply to the inquiry of the General Commanding and the resultant discussion: viz

The Prophet Ezekial - Just what was it you saw?  Can you go into more detail?

Leonardo Da Vinci - 1) What is the greatest source of satisfaction of which of your concepts that have been implimented today?
                            2) What is the greatest disappointment?
                            3) Alright!  What's the story with Mona?

Benjamin Franklin - (Could I have about a month?) (1) I want to talk "natural philosophy" (science), and about your inventions. (2) What do you think of the republic we've created?  Have we "kept it?"  (Asked by a woman after the "Miracle at Philidelphia" creating the Constitution, Franklin was asked by a little old lady, what sort of government had been created.  Franklin replied, "A republic, Madam...if you can keep it!" 

Henry Pell - 1) Were you issued that Sharps Carbine?  Did you carve your name in the stock?
                 2) How did you acquire it?  (The statute of limitations has long since run out!)
                 3) Did you see Vince Dill drown at the ferry at Ft. Fetterman?
                 4) Did you get to Goose Creek with Crook?
                 5) Were you in the Rosebud fight?
                 6) Where did you go and what did you do after you left Ft. Sidney in November 1876?
                 7) Did you ever shoot anything with it?

Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com