Author Topic: 1860 Staff and Field VS 1850 Field and Staff  (Read 2109 times)

Offline Col.Will B.Havoc

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1860 Staff and Field VS 1850 Field and Staff
« on: January 21, 2010, 02:08:56 AM »
I am new to the GAF but an experienced reenactor. Until now,all my experience has been Mexican and Civil war.
My question is This: I know that the 1860 was mandated for all officers after 1872. However,officers purchased their own weapons. Would a long service officer, who had carried an 1850 be allowed to continue to carry until retirement or would he be required to change?

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
Re: 1860 Staff and Field VS 1850 Field and Staff
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 05:52:31 AM »
First off, welcome to the GAF. 

Generally speaking, since the sword was a regulation item, in that it's design was specified in the uniform regulations, officers would be encouraged to replace their older swords with the newer patterns as soon as they could.  You can see this when other uniform changes were instituted - officers made the transition to the new pattern fairly quickly.  Only the enlisted men were allowed to wear older issue clothing and equipment.  

In the Marines for example, they changed from the Mamaluke pattern to the 1850 Infantry sword in 1859.  Civil War era photos show the 1850 pattern being worn, suggesting serving officers replaced their old patterns fairly quickly.  

There were exceptions of course:  Presentation swords, regardless of pattern, could be worn.  Older patterns might be worn when not in formation with troops or when on campaign (should the officer want to carry a sword on campaign), and if the regimental commander allowed it.  Obviously, the further away from the headquarters the greater possibility of getting away with a non-regulation item on duty (as opposed to being on campaign when almost anything went).

US Scout
Brig Gen, GAF

Offline Col.Will B.Havoc

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 02:44:08 PM »
Thank you for the welcome. Since I am portraying a long service Colonel and wearing field uniform,at first I am going to stick with my 1850 for the time being. A major problem,at least here in California, is finding an 1860 in good shape and at a reasonable price.
I have seen a lot of poor condition ones, at gun shows at outrageous prices. I  have seen a lot of re-enactors buying new repro revolvers with "Antiqued" finishes. What they forget, is that the revolvers were not antique, at the time. Any officer or man who let their service arm get i that condition would have been both a fool, and punished! By the way,Do you know of anyone who might have an 1860 for sale or trade?
Col.Will B. Havoc

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:10:44 AM »

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 06:35:36 PM »
I am new to the GAF but an experienced reenactor. Until now,all my experience has been Mexican and Civil war.
My question is This: I know that the 1860 was mandated for all officers after 1872. However,officers purchased their own weapons. Would a long service officer, who had carried an 1850 be allowed to continue to carry until retirement or would he be required to change?

Try the Ames Sword Company http://www.amessword.com/.  I purchased an 1860 Saff and Fied Officers sword and it's a beauty.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com