Author Topic: Who makes the most authentic 1873 SAA repro?  (Read 13347 times)

Offline G.W. Strong

• Grand Army of the Frontier, (Bvt.) Colonel, Commander of the Department of the Missouri
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • GAF, Department of the Missouri
    • Talbot's Fine Accessories
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Who makes the most authentic 1873 SAA repro?
« on: March 03, 2012, 12:39:08 PM »
I have a Ruger Vaquero in 45 Colt and that is fun but I was wondering what I should be looking for in a model 1873 Single Action Army for my mid 1880s artilleryman impression.

Who makes a good one?

Any models better or worse for my impression?
George Washington "Hopalong" Strong
Grand Army of the Frontier #774, (Bvt.) Colonel commanding the Department of the Missouri.
SASS #91251
Good Guy's Posse & Bristol Plains Pistoleros
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: Who makes the most authentic 1873 SAA repro?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 05:03:33 PM »
For the combination of Price and correct markings, its hard to beat the Cimmeron 7th Cavalry. 

http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/ModelP/CA514-7thCavalry.htm    Get the standard blue, the Army never used charcoal blueing on these weapons.  They were always rust blued, just like the Trapdoors.

The only other one out there I'd rate some better is the hard to find and very expensive USFA Henry Nettleton.   Get the Cimmerron .
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Capt.Virgil Russo

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 06:14:51 PM »
I know where you can get an M1881 holster for it.  ;)
SASS# 93527
GAF# 772 Department of The Atlantic

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:39:08 PM »

Offline G.W. Strong

• Grand Army of the Frontier, (Bvt.) Colonel, Commander of the Department of the Missouri
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 07:49:00 PM »
I know where you can get an M1881 holster for it.  ;)

You made me laugh out loud!
Grand Army of the Frontier #774, (Bvt.) Colonel commanding the Department of the Missouri.
SASS #91251
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 07:59:18 PM »
I agree with Drydock.  I have a Nettleton, luckily I got it before the price got out of hand.  If you can find one Colt built one in 1973 that is pretty nice but really pricy.

T-Joe
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline G.W. Strong

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 09:13:00 PM »
How much should I expect to pay for a Cimmaron 7th Cavalry? How much should I expect to pay for a USFA Henry Nettleton?
SASS #91251
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 03:50:00 AM »
$500-600 for the Cim, $1500 for the HN.

Offline Capt.Virgil Russo

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 11:02:53 AM »
You made me laugh out loud!

Mission accomplished!
SASS# 93527
GAF# 772 Department of The Atlantic

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 12:08:29 PM »
A look through any of the gun auction sites will turn up the Colt '1973-1973 Peacemaker Centennial' fairly regularly - and for less than the quoted $1500 for a clone.

It's the 'Cavalry' version - complete with all markings and correct to the era.

I put a properly-marked 5 1/2" barrel on mine - with the properly-shaped front sight - thus creating the so-called 'Artillery Model' that was the result of refurbishment and barrel shortening in 1895-1896 in where all serial numbers matched

After that refurbishment run, remaining revolver serial numbers were mixed.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline FTrooper

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 02:32:13 PM »
I agree with Drydock.  For military authenticity Cimmaron's 7th Cavalry is what I have.  All the parts, frames, etc. are close clones to a true 19th century colt.  All the markings, inspectors marks, etc. are also dead on.  The only thing is you have to live with 7th Cav markings on the but.  For a new retail expect to pay $600-$700, if you know someone with an FFL or hit gunbroker you can find them in the $400-$500 range.

Chris Fischer
F-Troop
Chris Fischer
F-Troop

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 12:31:21 PM »
I gave $400 for mine about 6 or 7 years ago.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1204
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 01:31:39 PM »
As a point of reference, the Cavalry and Artillery Cimarrons run about $50 more than standard Model P's.  The problem can be finding them, as they tend to sell fairly quickly when Cimarron gets a shipment of them.  If someone is unable to find one, my suggestion as usual is to have your favorite dealer put it on backorder.  There is no obligation and when they do come in then you will have an opportunity to get one if you still want it.  Also, Pietta will soon be making a Cavalry model for Cimarron.  How this will compare with the Uberti in various details is hard to say.  Even if they get all the markings correct, I expect the Uberti will still be more authentic in various small details (sight shapes, bevels, hammer checkering, etc.) if that is important to you.

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 03:31:26 PM »
I just got a Cimarron Model P pre war version (case hardened, blued) in 7.5" barrel for $475 including 6% sales tax. In my opinion other than the grips same gun and both are now made from Uberti Cattleman line.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1204
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 07:07:33 PM »
Joec, there are various military markings on the frame and gripframe other than the cartouche on the grip.  Also, the Cavalry model is the black powder frame, not Pre-War.  One last thing, most Cattleman that I have seen have had the safety block parts in the hammer, not sure if they still do but they have had for years.  So yeah, a Cattleman is similar but not the same.

Offline Calico Kirby

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 01:04:07 PM »
For the combination of Price and correct markings, its hard to beat the Cimmeron 7th Cavalry. 

http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/ModelP/CA514-7thCavalry.htm    Get the standard blue, the Army never used charcoal blueing on these weapons.  They were always rust blued, just like the Trapdoors.

The only other one out there I'd rate some better is the hard to find and very expensive USFA Henry Nettleton.   Get the Cimmerron .

True, the trapdoors's were rust blued at the government arsenals, but actually, Colt's pistols were "charcoal blued" at Colt's factory.  Colt's "Strap Pistols" as they were called early on, as aproved by the ordince inspectors, sported charcoal blued barrels, ejector/ejector housings, trigger/trigger guards, back straps and cylinders.  The hammer, frame and loading gates were case hardened.  Wooden grips for the military had a hand rubbed, oil finish. 

All that said, the "charcoal blue" you see on the current Italian copies is nothing like the original.  USFA's Ainsworth and Nettleton's are the closest thing you'll get to the original.  In fact, the original process can't be legally duplicated exactly because it requires Sperm Whale Oil.

Ok...I'm done.  Sorry to rant.
Always drink upstream from the herd...

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2012, 10:34:12 AM »
OK, I'll accept that.  BUt as you say, the originals were much different than the current "Charcoal blue" and for the Cimmeron, the standard blue is much closer, as well as far more durable.

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2012, 12:57:38 PM »
I have a USFA Government Model (Neddleton) that is the Bee's Knee's when it comes to authentic.  It wasn't cheap.
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

Offline captmack

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • "TX is neither southern nor western. TX is TX"
    • Capt Mack's You Tube page
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2012, 08:21:14 PM »

I have the Cimarron and it is a great revolver. I highly recommend purchasing through my buddy Sgt Tom Rhodes at 3B Shooting Supply in Kaufman, TX.  GAF Member & NCOWS Secretary.

www.3bshootingsupply.com

Capt Prather Scott "Mack" McLain
Senator
NCOWS Life Member #175

Offline The Wizard

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2012, 02:54:33 PM »
Why do people always settle for "just good enough".  Buy something for which you do not have to make excuses.  Either buy the Colt Peacemaker Centennial or the USFA "Henry Nettleton" (I have both).  Both have minor authentiicity problems but are far better then the Cimarron.  Buying either the Colt or USFA you will never think; should have, could have, would have. But the price you pay is what you get.

Also, in the 1880's cannon cockers were issued the 7-1/2 inch SAA's. The 5-1/2 inch did not come along until the 1890's.  And I can say "cannon cockers" because I are one! Check or hold, 3 mils!

You may want to check out this thread: http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,37821.0.html

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2012, 05:14:19 PM »
People settle for good enough because price CAN be an object.  It's the same with uniforms.  If you're going to insist on being museum-quality correct, you can easily spend several thousand dollars on a uniform.  It may take several years to get it so you won't want to come out and shoot until it's perfect.  OR, you can put together a fairly decent uniform for a lot less money and come out and play right away.  Then you can upgrade as you see fit.  Fortunately, GAF has room for people at both ends of the scale.  In some areas, I like to get the best right away.  (Gunleather is in that category for me.)  On other things I'll get by with what I'm able to get for what I'm willing to pay.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com