Author Topic: Straps  (Read 2777 times)

Offline Holsterguy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
Straps
« on: April 27, 2019, 04:35:52 PM »
Can anybody recommend a place to get good leather strap? I need two 1 1/4 straps 7-8 oz. not stretchy natural leather. Not having much luck with google.
Makin a 1907 military sling.

Online Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
Re: Straps
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 05:18:37 PM »
You might try Tandy https://www.tandyleather.com/en/product/heavyweight-natural-cowhide-leather-strips

I've ordered a few items from them on-line throughout the years.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 05:54:21 PM »
Been using Tandy for years! I buy locally. That way I can select individual sides and cut my own straps, belts and holsters. But they also sell straps. Depends on how many straps you need, it might pay to buy a side. Thickness can vary, so you may want to have them measure the thickness, or, if you go into their store, take a vernier calipers with you. Measure along the top. Should measure .107" - ,125" (7-8 oz.).  Be sure to get vegetable-tanned topgrain cowhide.  All leather will stretch to some degree, depending on how much tension it is put under and for how long.  Good luck.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:15:59 PM »

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 08:18:04 PM »
Tandy is too iffy. I have some 7-8oz veg tan straps I could sell, I cut it from a double shoulder. But, for future reference, Springfield Leather will cut what you need.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 08:55:09 PM »
Tandy isn't a bad choice at all provided your store carries the right stuff and just know what you are looking at and buying.

In fact I've gotten some of my best leather there when our local store would have some Herman Oak sides in from time to time. I haven't checked in a long time but they still may have Herman Oak.

http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Holsterguy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2019, 05:41:15 AM »
Thanks guys for your replies. I agree Tandy quality is iffy at best! That is, unless they started carrying a lot better quality. The nearest store to me is about an hour and a quarter away, so I rarely go there.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2019, 06:27:16 AM »
Well Sir I had good results @ Amazon for straps

https://www.amazon.com/Vegetable-Tan-Cowhide-Leather-Strip/dp/B01MQCF7PM/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=leather+strap&qid=1556450147&s=gateway&sr=8-4

By your handle "Holster Guy" I assume you are a maker ?

My point is " why make the 1907 strap when you can get a very good one also from Amazon ?

I bought the  WWI US 1917 M1917 RIFLE CARRY SLING-LIGHT BROWN LEATHER

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=1907+sling&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Very please with mine from Jolly Roger Trading and the price in Jan. 2019 was $14.21  shipped  :o
sadly that price is no longer offered !
when planets align...do the deal !

Online Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2019, 06:34:46 AM »
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2019, 08:52:38 AM »
I would never have looked on Amazon for straps. I always cut my own but this might be a good source for those who don't buy sides and only make a belt or something. I clicked on the different widths and it looks like the prices are not bad for what you get. It would be interesting to see what the quality is. If anyone orders one, please report back on the quality.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2019, 09:34:22 AM »
Amazon has increased their product line ten foe, I have been blown away with what I can find on Amazon today compared to a couple years ago, and at great prices , and if you get Prime, you get your delivery usually within two days, they are really doing a great job, but it's sad that some of the smaller business's are being left out, but not necessarily so, if they contract through Amazon they reap the rewards too, on line has proven itself to me over and over, living in the mountains like I do, on line is for the most part the only way for me to get what I need..

tEN wOLVES  ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2019, 06:43:52 PM »
@Major, When I got my SKS, I wanted to make  one "as close to authentic" as possible. Hardware plus shipping, plus leather in stock, total of about $22. I could buy the genuine McCoy for $12 on eBay, cheap or free shipping.

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2019, 07:10:06 AM »
I have used all of the above.    SPringfield leather gets more of my business than most.  Great service IMHO

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2019, 10:00:12 AM »
I would never have looked on Amazon for straps. I always cut my own but this might be a good source for those who don't buy sides and only make a belt or something. I clicked on the different widths and it looks like the prices are not bad for what you get. It would be interesting to see what the quality is. If anyone orders one, please report back on the quality.

I have and was please with both the quality & price.... I prefer to save my side for larger projects.

I also was impressed with the M1907 sling ...I suppose I bought one of,  if not the last of the @ $14 slings  they are $22 now
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2019, 01:58:19 PM »
I have used all of the above.    SPringfield leather gets more of my business than most.  Great service IMHO
I had mixed results with Springfield's leather, mostly good stuff. My problem was more with errors in orders, backorders, and billing issues.

Tandy's leather, was usually dirty, scraped, and fully dependent on the packer's mood.  I am not driving 4 hours to Atlanta, but, if you can actually lay hands on the goods to select, you might do ok. However, better leather can be found, and at a better price . Springfield does usually have better goods, but the big difference is, Springfield will cut to order, where most require you buy the side.

I'm trying a new place, somewhere up in Yankee country. Last double shoulder was pretty clean, and buttery soft. Price was about $80. I asked for a straight cut along the long edge, and it looked like my grandchildren attacked it with safety scissors.

Tandy has a sale on double shoulders right now, about $40. Again I asked for a straight cut, and got it. The leather had some flaws, but not terrible, but not as clean and soft either.

Offline Oldsoleleather

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2019, 07:52:09 PM »
I have a strap cutter and carry 8-10oz natural veg tan sides from Wicket and Craig for my projects. I can cut any width you would desire. I mostly wholesale to sutlers a few different civil war slings. Please let me know if you didn?t find what you needed. Email is the best for me or a text to 608-347-4938.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com