Author Topic: Stars of Merit  (Read 4407 times)

Offline Cedar County Sheriff

• Active citizen
  • I'd hate ta git killed fer lack of shootin' back!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Stars of Merit
« on: July 27, 2006, 08:55:54 AM »
Gentlemen;
  I was recently honored at the SASS Northwest Regional Costume contest as Best Dressed Military, and was wondering if Capt. Barrett is still the issueing autority for the Star of Merit?

If he is not, then to whom do I contact?

I await further instruction.

Lt. Col. Douglas Cedar, US Cav.
Commanding Officer
Division of the Pacific Northwest
Dept. of the Pacific
GAF

aka
Cedar County Sheriff
SASS #4578 Life, Regulator
NRA Life
R.U.C.A.S. #45 (2005 SASS Club of the Year)
GAF #171, SBSS #887 BOSS #95
WARTHOG
"Id hate ta git killed fer lack of shootin' back!"

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
Re: Stars of Merit
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 10:56:50 AM »
Bvt Lt Col Cedar County Sheriff, you are hearby awarded the Star of Merit for winning the Best Dressed Military at the SASS Northwest Regional.  WELL DONE on your accomplishment.  Please let us know what the uniform was.

Captain Barrett, like Missouri Scotsman, has retired from his duties.

For now, I am the issuing authority for Stars of Merit.  If anyone believes they have earned one over the last year or so, contact me and I'll confirm the award if appropriate.

Bvt Col Bull Schmitt is working on updating and reactivating the website so the SOM can be requested on-line (as can enlistments).  We'll announce when that capability is activated.

Most recently, Chantilly earned a Star of Merit for the Mini-Muster, and Bvt Lt Col and Major Matt Lewis has earned one for his victory at End of Trail this year, as well as cleaning a match in uniform.  Sgt Drydock earned one last year at the SASS Convention for best dressed Military. 

I know there are some others, including some who have promoted the GAF at living history events or reenactments.  Please let me know so I can begin to update our records.  Basically, if you believed you earned one and never saw it posted on the website, send me the information.

US Scout
GAF Commanding

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 12:05:24 PM »
Well,

To my account, all and all, I would have 5 Stars of Merit, The Commanders Citation for the First GAF Muster and a Veterans Award.  All in All, if I had a GAF Medal (Cough Cough) than it would look pretty sharp  :o  NOW, something to consider, since we award medals for the Muster, that I believe have been authorized to wear with devices, than if we have a Muster Medal, do we still rate The Star of Merit, or would they be considered redundant awards?   ???

Riddle me that Batman.....  ;)
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:32:24 PM »

Offline Cedar County Sheriff

• Active citizen
  • I'd hate ta git killed fer lack of shootin' back!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 05:19:38 PM »
Gentlemen;
  The Persona Col. Douglas Cedar, is a full Colonel, US Cavalry, circa 1879, as a graduate of the Military academy class of '58, I was a junior officer during the CW. At the end of the war, I remained in service and was sent west. With 25 years' service, I have worked hard to attain my present rank. The uniform was Full Dress Blue. If I can acquire photos from some of the folk that were there, I will try to forward them.

Your Humble Servant,

Lt. Col. Douglas Cedar, US Cav.
Commanding Officer
Div. of the Pacific Northwest
Dept. of the Pacific
GAF

aka
Cedar County Sheriff
SASS #4578 Life, Regulator
NRA Life
R.U.C.A.S. #45 (2005 SASS Club of the Year)
GAF #171, SBSS #887 BOSS #95
WARTHOG
"Id hate ta git killed fer lack of shootin' back!"

Offline US Scout

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2006, 05:51:16 AM »
NOW, something to consider, since we award medals for the Muster, that I believe have been authorized to wear with devices, than if we have a Muster Medal, do we still rate The Star of Merit, or would they be considered redundant awards?   ???

An excellent question and one that I have pondered a satisfactory answer to for some time.

When the GAF first started, no one envisioned having a need to wear more than the GAF organizational medal, thus any awards earned were to be represented by stars, oak leaves or the veteran's "V". 

That concept worked pretty well until you came up with the idea of presenting medals to winners at the Muster, which are also authorized to be worn on the uniform.  I like the idea, as you know, so no complaints from me, even though it did complicate the GAF award system a bit.  In fact, I requested Kayleen continue the tradition at this year's muster but she hasn't informed me that she will do so.

These Muster award medals are equivilent to a Star of Merit (winning a match in your category, winning the uniform competition, etc), thus potentially duplicating a Star of Merit award on the GAF medal.

I see two options open to us (and I recognize that there are several more possibilities).  Bear in mind that one of the things we want to avoid is too many medals being worn on our uniform and thus looking like a Russian general. 

The first is that medals awarded at the Musters are treated as separate awards, but which will not be duplicated by a star on the GAF Medal.  In other words, if someone wins a medal at the Musters, they wear that medal in addition to the GAF Medal, but do not place a new star on the GAF medal.  This would require that only blue (1st place), red (2nd place) and white (3rd place) ribboned medals be given out at the Musters.  Subsequent Muster awards would be displayed on these medals. 

For example, at the first Muster I received 1st place in the uniform competion and at the second Muster I received 3rd place in my shooting category.  I would wear a blue ribboned medal and white ribboned medal in addition to my GAF medal.  If I were to win a 1st place at another Muster, I could place a star on my blue ribboned medal.  If I were to win 2nd place, I could add a red-ribboned medal.  I would not add any additional stars to my GAF Medal for awards received at a Muster.

The second option is that the wearer has the option of wearing all Stars of Merit on the GAF medal.  This could cause some crowding of devices eventually but would permit wearing just one medal on the uniform to maintain the Victorian-era look where few medals were actually worn.

US Scout
GAF, Commanding

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2006, 08:29:31 AM »

That concept worked pretty well until you came up with the idea of presenting medals to winners at the Muster, which are also authorized to be worn on the uniform.  I like the idea, as you know, so no complaints from me, even though it did complicate the GAF award system a bit.  In fact, I requested Kayleen continue the tradition at this year's muster but she hasn't informed me that she will do so.

These Muster award medals are equivilent to a Star of Merit (winning a match in your category, winning the uniform competition, etc), thus potentially duplicating a Star of Merit award on the GAF medal.

I see two options open to us (and I recognize that there are several more possibilities).  Bear in mind that one of the things we want to avoid is too many medals being worn on our uniform and thus looking like a Russian general. 

The first is that medals awarded at the Musters are treated as separate awards, but which will not be duplicated by a star on the GAF Medal.  In other words, if someone wins a medal at the Musters, they wear that medal in addition to the GAF Medal, but do not place a new star on the GAF medal.  This would require that only blue (1st place), red (2nd place) and white (3rd place) ribboned medals be given out at the Musters.  Subsequent Muster awards would be displayed on these medals. 

For example, at the first Muster I received 1st place in the uniform competion and at the second Muster I received 3rd place in my shooting category.  I would wear a blue ribboned medal and white ribboned medal in addition to my GAF medal.  If I were to win a 1st place at another Muster, I could place a star on my blue ribboned medal.  If I were to win 2nd place, I could add a red-ribboned medal.  I would not add any additional stars to my GAF Medal for awards received at a Muster.

The second option is that the wearer has the option of wearing all Stars of Merit on the GAF medal.  This could cause some crowding of devices eventually but would permit wearing just one medal on the uniform to maintain the Victorian-era look where few medals were actually worn.

US Scout
GAF, Commanding

Yes,

I do acknowledge that this is inherently my fault... ;) ;D  and as you know, I like the idea of wearing additional devices on the GAF Medals to avoid the "Soviet General" effect.  I also like in theory the idea of not "junking" up the GAF Medal.  I think keeping it to SOM's for Non-Muster Events and the Veterans Award and Commanders Citation would be great.  We have never had an official ruling, so may we consider this one?
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

Offline US Scout

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2006, 06:28:52 AM »
Pending mutiny in the ranks, consider it official. 

To designate the distinctiion of a Muster award over other Stars of Merit, a Medal (Star of Merit) earned at a Muster will be worn as a separate device (blue, red or white medal).  All other Stars of Merit earned for competion, presenting a lecture, etc, will be worn on the GAF Medal (and yes, we're working on that issue, too).

US Scout
GAF, Commanding

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2006, 05:25:10 PM »
Sounds like a winner....
Major Matt Lewis

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 01:20:46 PM »
I think my Star request got lost during the time Cpt . Barrett was taking his new job.

I placed first (in uniform) in the Black Powder Duelist Category last Oct. at the 2005 NCOWS Eastern Regional.  Does that qualify me?
I also placed LAST in this year's NCOWS National, (rifle trouble  ::) ) but I don't think this one counts ... :)
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2006, 07:28:24 PM »
I think they cancel each other out, Steel Horse. ::) ;D
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Gripmaker

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2006, 10:42:43 PM »
I have won Best Dressed at the NCOWS Convention and the 2006 Iowa State Championships. Not too worried about what this entitles me to but I am curious what the award for Veteran is. Can someone please explain this?

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2006, 08:05:31 AM »
From the GAF web site:

"The GAF shall also recognize Veteran status through the Veteran's Award. The Veteran's Award will be a "V" device attached to the ribbon of the GAF Medal beneath any Stars of Merit. The criteria for this Award is as follows:
Be on Active Duty currently, OR
Served at least one enlistment on Active Duty, OR
Served at least two enlistments in a Reserve Component, OR
Have at least one Tour of Duty in Combat
A Soldier will need to purchase their Veteran's Award. This Award should be available at any local military surplus store or online"
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com