Author Topic: Need to find a 1874 sack coat !!!!!  (Read 4889 times)

Offline Marshal J.D.Lightning

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Need to find a 1874 sack coat !!!!!
« on: January 09, 2008, 02:12:42 AM »
Hope everyone is well in this new year !!!

I am trying to find a 1874 cavalry piped sack coat for an enlisted man.

Hoping one of you good folk can point me in the right direction to find one.

Thanks for your time & help.

All the best from Australia.

Lightning
Marshal J.D.Lightning
Provost Marshal. US Cavalry
GAF #422
BOLD #720
BOSS #82
RATS #507
SASA #2528

Offline ColonelFlashman

• Thank'ee! And Damn Your Eyes.
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • '73 N.W.M.P. Field Uniform, Assit. Commis.
    • "Sir Harry Flashman's Memiors"
  • Liked:
Re: Need to find a 1874 sack coat !!!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 02:19:46 AM »
Colonel Sir Harry Paget Flashman VC KCB KCIE USMH;
Colonel 17th Lancers Staff Political Officer;
Staff Corp Commander & D.o.P. Command Staff
WartHog, Pistolero & Mounted Shootist
 :uk:  :usa:  :canada:  :dixie:  :ausie:

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 01:12:39 PM »
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:43:39 AM »

Offline Rancid Roy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 07:53:50 PM »
Howdy Marshal Lightning,

Both Coon Creek and Quartermaster Shop offer very fine quality uniforms.

You might look to www.ccsutlery.com, they offer a cheaper model, I do not know how it "stacks" up to the above though in quality.

Regards.
Ne'er Do Well    Chicken Thief

Back Shooter     Ambush Expert

"You hold'em and I'll shoot'em."

GAF 104 Scout and Scoundrel

Offline Dusty Tagalon

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS 32291, NCOWS L170, GAF 74
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 09:59:05 PM »
It is my understanding that HS History nakes them for quartermaster, so a little bit cheaper there. I have purchased from both.

http://www.ushist.com

Dusty

Offline Marshal J.D.Lightning

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 01:21:32 AM »
Thanks for all your help Guys  ;D

Have sent out some emails making inquiries about these jackets.

Will keep you posted.

All the best.

Lightning
Marshal J.D.Lightning
Provost Marshal. US Cavalry
GAF #422
BOLD #720
BOSS #82
RATS #507
SASA #2528

Offline Frank Dalton

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 01:41:36 PM »
It is my understanding that HS History nakes them for quartermaster, so a little bit cheaper there. I have purchased from both.

http://www.ushist.com

Dusty

FYI, US Hist/AzRa/Leavey is a retail operation. If you will note, the item numbers listed correspond to the same item number that Quartermaster uses, as orders are usually dropped shipped from the manufacturers, such as Quartermaster directly to the customer.

I purchased the Indian Wars slouch hat from them on 12/6, received it directly from manufacturer in PA. on 12/17. It was not the one I had ordered. I called the CA telephone number and was told I would have to ship it to CA at my own expense, and they would replace it with the correct one.

I asked if they would refund the the return shipping fee since it was their error that the wrong item was sent, and he basically told me that he didn't care. My only alternatives were to send it back at my expense and he would send the correct one, or I could send it back at my expense, cancel the order and they would charge me a restocking fee.  :-X

I sent it back the 18th and they received it in CA on 12/27 (UPS tells me so). I called them 1/11 and they didn't even know if they had received it yet, much less actually doing what is needed to send me the correct one.

This is my first order with them and will be my last. Every telephone call I make to them provides me with a better understanding of how un-customer friendly and un-professional they are to their paying customers.
Frank Dalton
US Deputy Marshal
Indian Territory
SASS# 54716L
USFA CSS# 59
GAF# 360
STORM# 268
Perge Scelus Mihi Diem Perficias

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 416
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 03:00:02 PM »
FYI, US Hist/AzRa/Leavey is a retail operation. If you will note, the item numbers listed correspond to the same item number that Quartermaster uses, as orders are usually dropped shipped from the manufacturers, such as Quartermaster directly to the customer.

I purchased the Indian Wars slouch hat from them on 12/6, received it directly from manufacturer in PA. on 12/17. It was not the one I had ordered. I called the CA telephone number and was told I would have to ship it to CA at my own expense, and they would replace it with the correct one.

I asked if they would refund the the return shipping fee since it was their error that the wrong item was sent, and he basically told me that he didn't care. My only alternatives were to send it back at my expense and he would send the correct one, or I could send it back at my expense, cancel the order and they would charge me a restocking fee.  :-X

I sent it back the 18th and they received it in CA on 12/27 (UPS tells me so). I called them 1/11 and they didn't even know if they had received it yet, much less actually doing what is needed to send me the correct one.

This is my first order with them and will be my last. Every telephone call I make to them provides me with a better understanding of how un-customer friendly and un-professional they are to their paying customers.

There is something really wrong ... I know Terry Levey over 20 years ....that does not sound like him , have you talked to him or his wife ?
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Frank Dalton

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 07:51:47 AM »
There is something really wrong ... I know Terry Levey over 20 years ....that does not sound like him , have you talked to him or his wife ?

Apparently, Terry is the one I talked to the three times I called about this order.
Frank Dalton
US Deputy Marshal
Indian Territory
SASS# 54716L
USFA CSS# 59
GAF# 360
STORM# 268

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 07:52:11 PM »
In any case, USH does not make anything.  Coon Creek and the QM shop are the only real Quality manufacturers I know of for most items 1872-1901.  Both outfits have my measurements on file.  I've tried others, but these two are the only ones worth the price.  For CW items I'd expand to include CD Jarnigan.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Frank Dalton

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 06:08:44 PM »
In any case, USH does not make anything.  Coon Creek and the QM shop are the only real Quality manufacturers I know of for most items 1872-1901.  Both outfits have my measurements on file.  I've tried others, but these two are the only ones worth the price.  For CW items I'd expand to include CD Jarnigan.

I agree with your assessment of the quality of QM Shop products and CD Jarnigan, as I have had dealings with both. I have heard nothing but great compliments on Coon Creek, but have yet to order from them!

I think my order with USH will work out in the end, but it makes me wish I had ordered through someone else. I wanted to give them a shot since they have a good web presence, and have a lot of items listed that one does not usually see elsewhere.
Frank Dalton
US Deputy Marshal
Indian Territory
SASS# 54716L
USFA CSS# 59
GAF# 360
STORM# 268

Offline Captain Lee Bishop

• Rough Rider, 1st US Cav (USV)
  • Top Active Citizen
  • ..on your order, Colonel Roosevelt!
    • Thunderbolt Productions
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 11:12:48 PM »
Man, I'm sorry to hear that! I ordered some shoulder boards through Quartermaster and they seemed like a nice bunch.
Like some have suggested, sometimes these things happen and they're unusual. I had a really nasty dealing with Dirty Billy Hats once, they charged me way too much, took forever and it was almost an entire numbered size too small. When I returned it with a note that I wasn't happy that the size was so off, I got a phone message stating that they never want me to order from them ever again! After relating this story for a while afterward, I've had many people tell me outright that this couldn't possibly have happened as they folks who run that outfit could NEVER do such a thing. Well, they did it, all right. Maybe they were having a bad day that day, but if I ever go through Gettysburg sometime and see that their store is on fire, I'll pull out a stick and some marshmallows and laugh while it burns to the ground.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com