Author Topic: OT: Just watched Strategic Air Command with Jimmy Stewart  (Read 3530 times)

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
OT: Just watched Strategic Air Command with Jimmy Stewart
« on: October 21, 2008, 01:28:39 PM »
Yeah, I know, for the GAF this is 50 years into the "future", and for us old-timers it's a number of years in the past.  And I was never a part of the flying part of SAC (Minuteman I & II missile maintenance officer), but I still get a lump in my throat and a thrill watching the aerial shots.  I still have a mental picture of the only B-36 I ever saw actually flying over my house when I was a kid back in the '50's.

What kinda tickles me is the SAC commander, "General Hawks", but of course it could only be "Ol' Iron Ass" himself! Funny, I had another year of engineering classes to take so I didn't get commissioned with my AFROTC class.  But I was in the room when LeMay himself swore in my buddies!

I really get a kick out of the "commercial DC-3 on final, declaring an 'emergency'!"  Of course, this was the ruse they used to use when hitting a SAC base with a No-notice Operational Readiness Inspection (ORI).  By the time I was in, the minute the IG team left the previous base, some staff NCO was on the horn to one of his buddies at our command post to let us know they were on their way..  ;)  Then it was A's & E's for a couple of days. I think it was rougher on the "head shed".  SAC missile wing commanders had lots of responsibility and very little authority...  We "phased out" one of our wing CO's after his third heart attack! The worst part of one of these inspections was when we were "off duty" was being on "six-rings of the phone".  If you didn't think you could answer in 6 rings, you had to call in and tell them.  Kinda inconvenient if you were, ah...heading for the "reading room" for a few minutes.  Then, you had to call them back when you were through... :P

The other movie that always gets me going, though it wasn't quite as inspiring, was "A Gathering of Eagles" starring Rock Hudson.  That one right out of SAC Manual 66-12 and assorted leadership training films.

Ah, well...  back to the 19th Century!  ;D
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
Re: OT: Just watched Strategic Air Command with Jimmy Stewart
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 04:37:30 PM »
Great movie!

And yes, it ain't Cowboy, but it's about the ONLY movie where ya can see B-47s in quantity!  As modern jet bombers go. I'm particularly fond of B-47s ... and the B-58 Hustlers.  They sure made purty planes back then!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 05:08:53 PM »
Jeff, a lot of Strategic Air Command was filmed at Carswell Air Force Base in Fort Worth.  The last B 36 built, is being restored to be part of an Air Museum In Fort Worth. Also the B58 was built by General Dynamics in FW.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:26:28 PM »

Offline Captain Lee Bishop

• Rough Rider, 1st US Cav (USV)
  • Top Active Citizen
  • ..on your order, Colonel Roosevelt!
    • Thunderbolt Productions
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 09:01:11 PM »
Ah, the glorious future. I've never seen a B-36 in the air, but my Dad saw one once in the AF in the 50s during his short service (he said it was the only branch that never fought the CSA in the Civil War) in the late 50s. I love that movie, almost as much as "Twelve O'Clock High." My brother is a retired USAF O-5 and a wearer of the "pocket rocket" with USAFE and SAC as a GLCM and Peacekeeper launch officer (even did a "Glory Trip" launch of one out of Vandenberg in 1991).
I'm a huge fan of "Flying machines" and have a special love for the WW2 era. Note these photos, I'm in the front row right in the top photo, I took the rest of them myself:

Taken on several WW2 airplane flights I have had:

And when the future really starts getting odd:

The future sometimes gets a little smaller in scale, too!

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 10:16:23 PM »
I sorta like them WW2 planes myself. I am a Col. in the CAF.  My Dad flew B25's in the Med. and North Africa.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 11:40:12 PM »
"he said it was the only branch that never fought the CSA in the Civil War"

Um, without trying to start something...uh, if you consider that the first U.S. military aircraft were part of the Signal Corps, and admitting it's a stretch, anyone know who was the first "aeronaut"?  Hint: he was the first...or one of the first American military...observers to go up in a balloon, observing CSA lines! Hint #2, after the CW, it is possible that one of his scouts may have said, "My gosh, look at all them Injuns!"  ;D
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Bull Schmitt

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 10:28:35 AM »
I recall when I was a kid the B-36 bombers used to fly over our area. I saw them several times. They had a distinct sounds that told you when one was near. They went over at high altitudes and on occasion pretty low. A beautiful plane that was impressive in flight.
Bvt Col Bull Schmitt
GAF Adjutant General
GAF Commander Department of the Atlantic
GAF Webmaster
SCORRS President & Webmaster
SASS #9535, SCORRS, GAF, NRA

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 11:27:49 AM »
I'd sure like to see a B-36!

Cpt. Bishop; awesome photos - thanks for sharing.  I'm TOTALLY ENVIOUS of that P-51 flight you took!  Not to mention the "in flight photos" from the B-17.

Tex - if we ever get to meet, we're gonna need to schedule an extra day (at whatever we're doin' when we meet) just to talk CAF and other things "airplane!"  Same with you, Cpt. Lee B!  I don't remember WHERE in Fla. I saw it, but I was at an airport where you could "buy" a P-51 ride (I think it was an "H" version - with the higher tail) and it was a mere $1500 for 1/2 hour.  I damn near took out the 'plastic,' but cooler heads prevailed.  My wife.  ::)

"But I was in the room when LeMay himself swore in my buddies!"   Ol' Iron Ass!  Cool!!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Captain Lee Bishop

• Rough Rider, 1st US Cav (USV)
  • Top Active Citizen
  • ..on your order, Colonel Roosevelt!
    • Thunderbolt Productions
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 09:00:13 PM »
I'd sure like to see a B-36!
They're impressive, I've seen two of them. The one at the USAF museum is something to see but you can't see it all in one view due to stuff in the way.
Cpt. Bishop; awesome photos - thanks for sharing.  I'm TOTALLY ENVIOUS of that P-51 flight you took!  Not to mention the "in flight photos" from the B-17.
You'll really hate to hear that I didn't pay a penny for those rides! I volunteered a lot of time around airplanes when I lived in Florida and got a lot of rides for free. The only thing I ever paid for was a rental car after my first B-17 ride (to the location they filmed "Twelve O'clock High at!)
I don't remember WHERE in Fla. I saw it, but I was at an airport where you could "buy" a P-51 ride
Probably Kissimmee, near Disney World? They have two of them down there. It sounds like this operation: http://www.stallion51.com/ I've been to that place before to look at the restoration work at a place next door to them.

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 01:43:48 AM »
They're impressive, I've seen two of them. The one at the USAF museum is something to see but you can't see it all in one view due to stuff in the way.  You'll really hate to hear that I didn't pay a penny for those rides! I volunteered a lot of time around airplanes when I lived in Florida and got a lot of rides for free. The only thing I ever paid for was a rental car after my first B-17 ride (to the location they filmed "Twelve O'clock High at!) Probably Kissimmee, near Disney World? They have two of them down there. It sounds like this operation: http://www.stallion51.com/ I've been to that place before to look at the restoration work at a place next door to them.

I've seen the B-36 at the USAF Museum ... several times.  I meant to say "I wish I'd seen one in flight!"  ;)

FREE RIDES?!?!  Awesome!

Kissimmee is probably right.  Mother lived in Lake Placid and we had to go 'thru Kiss. to get to her place.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com