Author Topic: HEY TRAILRIDER!  (Read 8036 times)

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
HEY TRAILRIDER!
« on: August 17, 2006, 09:08:46 PM »
Those new holsters you sent me are AWESOME!  Thanks....

For all those who care....Trail Rider Products are Major Lewis approved ;) ;D
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: HEY TRAILRIDER!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 11:20:55 AM »
Jim does some fine work, don't he now?   ;D

MG
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Frenchie

• "We have met the enemy, and he is us." - Pogo
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Photo by Julio Zangroniz @ "September Storm", 2007
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 12:50:56 PM »
Trailrider made me a belt with the GAF plate and it is the best, period, end of discussion. Thanks for reminding me, I want a baldric for the 1840 NCO sword - Trailrider, you make those?
Yours, &c.,

Guy 'Frenchie' LaFrance
Vous pouvez voir par mes vêtements que je ne suis pas un cowboy.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:15:00 PM »

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 06:07:25 PM »
ACTUALLY......

This is my fourth set of holsters from Jim.....as I said, Trail Rider Products are Major Lewis approved!
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 03:55:28 PM »
Gentlemen, I thank you!

I was about to go buy a larger sized hat, but then Frenchie hits me with the question about the baldric for the 1840 NCO sword.  Probably wouldn't be too much of a problem to make, IF I could find a decent reference on its design, configuration, dimensions, etc. Have gone through all of my book references, and I have googled "baldric", and "1840 NCO Sword Belt", and  though I get a few hits (other makers, definitions, etc.), I'm not getting what I would need.    ???   I believe I do have a line on the brass eagle plate that goes on the baldric's front, provided it is the right size.  But, again, I need more data...

BTW, if anyone has been trying to reach me by the "voice telegraph" since about 1630 PM yesterday until about noon today, Mr. Ameche has had his wires crossed!  [Note: Don Ameche played Alexander Graham Bell in an old movie about the invention of the telephone.  A lot of folks back then started calling the phone, "The ameche"] :(  Dang thing would ring once VERY briefly, and then disconnect! You could call OUT on both lines, but not IN, unless you happened to grab the thing right at the first ring!  Same thing on my third line, but NOT on my 2nd line (which the wife uses), thankfully! Called it in to Qwest yesterday, and they said they'd work on it.  Works fine NOW.  We've had lots of rain, lately, which might have something to do with it as the wires are all underground! They said something about the ringer voltage possibly being too low coming out of the "telegraph" office.   
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 06:12:35 PM »
Hey, Trailrider Jim:

Are there GAF buckles available (through you)?
We talked about 'em at the First Muster in Cheyenne.
But I never got any further than that.    ??? ??? ??? ???

If so put me down & I'll send a a check ASAP!!!

MG
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2006, 09:06:58 PM »
Howdy Trailrider,

I think that you can get the specs from the Frontier Army Museum at Ft. Leavenworth, Kansas.

913-684-3767 and speak to the Director, Steve Allie.  Our living history group portrays the Army 1839 - 1851.  I am sure that he will have the info on the baldric.  He will return your call if he doesn't answer the phone.  He has some TDY coming up so it might be the next week befor you hear from him.  Tell him that Bob Dorian sent you.  He won't hang up on you. ;D 
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2006, 10:18:15 PM »
Hey, Trailrider Jim:

Are there GAF buckles available (through you)?
We talked about 'em at the First Muster in Cheyenne.
But I never got any further than that.    ??? ??? ??? ???

If so put me down & I'll send a a check ASAP!!!

MG

Gregg,

For the general edification of the newer troops, the GAF belt plate is a rectangular plate similar to the M1851 Enlisted Eagle Sword Belt Plate, with the letters "GAF" inside a pair of wreaths. (Sorry, I don't have the picture, and am not sure how to get it on this forum anyway.)  It is a two-piece affair, like the 1851 plate, with the left side (wearer's left) in the form of a hasp which is attached to the left end of the belt by means of folding about two inches of the end of the belt back on itself, and fastened by means of two copper rivets and stitching, or just stitching, depending on the belt model.  The main portion of the belt plate is attached to the right end of the belt by passing the end of the belt (which has a hook on the tip) through the slot in the plate, and doubling the belt back on itself on the inside of the belt body.  The hook is then fastened through holes in the belt body.  By adjusting which hole the hook passes through, the length of the belt can be adjusted to fit the wearer.

The standard backed GAF plate has the slots wide enough to accept the ends of the 1-7/8" wide enlisted waist and saber belts.  Because the hasp and belt plate of the various regulation plates, and the GAF plate are fitted together individually, it is LIKELY that any OTHER plate will probably NOT match up exactly with the hasp from another plate/hasp set. This is also true of all other styles of this type of beltplate.  (SOMEtimes a single hasp can be fitted to several different plates, but the chances are somewhat iffy!)

For this reason, if one already has a belt with, say, a M1851 plate hasp installed, a GAF (or any other plate) bought separately probably won't fit correctly with the hasp already on the belt.  The answer to this is either to custom fit the GAF plate to the other plate's hasp, or modify the belt by removing the copper rivets and stitching, and substitute a pair of brass Chicago screw posts so you can change out the two hasps at the same time you change plates.  When I do this, I re-stitch the belt through the original needle holes through the outer layer only, to maintain the look of the stitched belt end.

Since the original "issue" of GAF belt plates was completed, I've only maintained a few plates on hand to fill orders for belts.  Mr. Tim Parsley, of Art Brass, has made the plates for us.  Although he does NOT show the GAF plates in his catalog or on his website, I BELIEVE he will still make them for individual orders.  I'll check Monday and let you know the details.

Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Frenchie

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2006, 11:09:36 PM »
Jim, if you can get enough information to make a baldric, you have one confirmed sale right here.
Yours, &c.,

Guy 'Frenchie' LaFrance

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2006, 02:08:30 PM »
Trailrider:
I'm tryin' to dial you back.
I got cut off again (I'm on my cell phone & in the mtns).
I will try to call you on the landline tonight.
Gregg
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2006, 10:00:01 AM »
Dr. Bob -

Thanks for the info.  Will try contacting Mr. Allie in a little while.

Mustang Gregg -

We finally got comm, though a bit intermittant.  Will take care of that this morning.

Frenchie -

I'll try to get the specs for the baldric, and will be in communications with you as soon as I get some data.

To the Command -

Have called Tim Parsley at Art Brass to get the latest on the availability of GAF belt plates and current prices.  He is out today (Monday, 21 August).  Left a message.  He will probably get back to me tomorrow.  I'll post the latest as soon as I hear.

Ride careful all!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Pony Racer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2006, 07:19:10 PM »
Hey Trailrider - been trying to reach you with that new fangled poney express email.

Hoping to get something made we had discussed briefly before.

Let me know when a good time is and i will chat withyou about it.

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy
Member Fire & Brimstone Posse
Having fun learning the ways of the cowboy gun
WAHOOOOOOOOOO YEHAWWWWWWW

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2006, 03:11:09 PM »
PR,

I did get your telegraph message.  Sorry for the delay in answering...been trying to catch up, and think I am just about there.  I'll definitely need to talk to you on the "voice telegraph" about dimensions and details.  Give me about another day...

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Pony Racer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2006, 05:01:02 PM »
Trailrider roger that.

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2006, 03:39:59 PM »
Gentlemen:

In line with Frenchie's request, does anyone have a copy of "U.S. Military Equipage - 1851-1872, Vol. I" by Todd.  According to Steve Allie, there are a complete set of specs and measurements for the baldric.  Problem is that the book was published in 1980, and is out of print.  I don't have a copy.  If you have it or know where I can get one (I will, of course look on 'net websites), it would simplify things.  Perhaps you could photocopy the drawings and get them to me either by e-mail, or fax.

I'm obliged!

Pony Racer-

Can you send me a phone number so I can call you.  The data I have preceeds you most recent assignments.  Or call me at 303-791-6068, Trailrider Products.

Thanks

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Pony Racer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2006, 08:32:03 PM »
I got your number trailrider - I'll call tomorrow - too many honey do's right now

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2006, 11:59:38 AM »
Hey Frenchie!  Legendary Arms out of NJ makes the NCO Balderich and Dixie used to have the Nickled NCO Plate/buckle for it.

I used to do an Ordnance NCO Years ago but sold my NCO Sword and leather when I became a real Army Offficer way back when.  Hope that this helps.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Offline Frenchie

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2006, 12:08:03 PM »
Trailrider, I just ordered Todd's U.S. Military Equipage - 1851-1872, I should have it in a few days. I ordered it from Military Books http://www.rwmilitarybooks.com/

Grapeshot, thanks loads for the tip, I'll go look at their site right now. I have Legendary Arms in my Favorites folder, just didn't think to look there.
Yours, &c.,

Guy 'Frenchie' LaFrance

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2006, 09:59:10 PM »
Frenchie -

Much obliged for the tip.  I'll probably order one for myself as a reference, but if you get it before I do, maybe you can photocopy it and either send the copies of the baldric specs to me at Trailrider Products or whatever works for you.

Thanks!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Frenchie

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2006, 02:26:00 AM »
Oh, ja, you betcha!  ;D
Yours, &c.,

Guy 'Frenchie' LaFrance

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com