Author Topic: M1898 Khaki Trou - Leg Stripes Yes or No?  (Read 1494 times)

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
M1898 Khaki Trou - Leg Stripes Yes or No?
« on: April 03, 2019, 09:26:35 AM »
I have a set of M1898 khaki trousers, and plan to portray a First Sergeant of Volunteer Infantry, Philippines 1898-1899.  Would these trousers have a white 1" stripe, or not? I know the M1899 did not, but wasn't sure when the "drop" was made...
"Stand, gentlemen; he served on Samar"

GAF #301

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: M1898 Khaki Trou - Leg Stripes Yes or No?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 08:52:55 PM »
https://www.ranker.com/list/evolution-of-american-military-uniforms-throughout-history/daveesons?page=3

I find it hard to believe one would have blue facing on pockets and white stripes on trousers.  The soldier on left is wearing 1898 uniform one can see the yellow probably on the pocket flaps but there does not appear to be any stripe on trousers.  The trooper on right is wearing an earlier uniform and one can see the yellow stripe

https://www.wearethemighty.com/history/this-was-the-armys-battle-dress-throughout-the-centuries.

I am not convinced white stripes were ever worn on legs other than the Sky Blue Trousers.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 12:53:44 PM »
The only khaki trousers I have seen with stripes are for cavalry, with yellow.  I can find none other - even of those showing NCOs, one of the reasons chevrons were authorized for shirts (unofficially in 1899, officially in 1902).  Several references stated that "one could not distinguish officers and NCOs when in shirt-sleeve order."  Blue trousers kept the stripes, as they were used for dress, as well as undress uniform order.
"Stand, gentlemen; he served on Samar"

GAF #301

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:10:58 AM »

Offline Dutch Al

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 11:44:28 AM »
Your trousers would most likely of had one inch blue stripes.  The August 1898 version of the khaki blouse had blue cloth trim on the collar, pockets, and cuffs.  You can find this information on page 37 of David Cole's "Survey of U. S. Army Uniforms, Weapons, and Accoutrements"

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 05:04:49 PM »
The only issue of the 1st pattern M1898 was to units in Cuba in July 1898.  These would have had branch colored leg stripes.  All other issue of the Kahki uniform were of the 2nd pattern, which had no leg stripes.  There is a picture of Adna Chaffee in China, wearing the Kahki uniform he was issued in Cuba, with leg stripes.  Everyone around him had not served in Cuba, and had no leg stripes.  A Kahki Uniform with Leg Stripes meant you served in Cuba in Wartime, and was something of a badge of distinction in the Pre WW1 army.  None of the units deployed to the Phillipines received this uniform.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com