Author Topic: Would like some suggestions as to a rifle for "Frontier" class  (Read 5272 times)

Gentlemen,

I’m just looking for some suggestions.  I’m new to CAS and need some advice.

I currently have a pair of Ruger New Vaqueros and a Taylor & Co “Comanchero” rifle in 45 Colt, and a Chiappa 87 shotgun in 12 ga – so I’m pretty much set for shooting “Classic Cowboy”.

I also have a pair of Ruger Old Army Cap & Ball revolvers that I would like to shoot in “Frontier” class.  So I’m looking for a rifle that would be most suited (period wise) to go with the Cap & Ball revolvers – but which I could also use as a backup rifle if (it happens) I have trouble with the “Comanchero”.  I’d like to stay with 45 Colt to keep re-loading simple.

I’m thinking of the Taylor’s & Co “1866 “Yellowboy”.  The "Era" seems about right, and it's a neat looking rifle.  Any thoughts – or suggestions?

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Would like some suggestions as to a rifle for "Frontier" class
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 05:48:21 PM »
There's about 4 main choices to go with the C&B revolvers:1866, Henry, 1873 and a Spencer. Within those groups, there's lots of choices of barrel lengths, stock styles, etc, especially with the '66 and '73. Most of the Winchester/Henry repros are made by Uberti, and marketed by a variety of companies. I don't know much about the Spencers, but they get a lot of style points, sort of makes up for the slowness.

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 07:16:05 AM »
There's the new 1860 Henry made in the US by Henry Repeating Arms.  The NCOWS review sang it's praises, so it clearly is a quality rifle and meets their standard for authenticity.  Your only problem would be that it is in 44-40 caliber, which is better for BP anyway - no fouling blowback into the action as you'd have to deal with in 45 Colt.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Advertising

Offline Sgt. John McAfferty

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 01:02:06 PM »
I know some may jump on me, but, if you want a good, reliable rifle go with an 1866 Uberti (any of the importers will do).

Many love the Henry and it's a good rifle, but generally almost twice as much or more than an 1866.

My back up rifle is a Spencer, which they do make in 45 although I prefer 44-40 for black powder in a rifle.  Again, the price is much higher than an 1866.  In addition it only holds 7 rounds so you have to reload on the clock.  Those that know me know I couldn't care less, but it's something to remember.

My main rifle is an Uberti 1866 from Taylors Firearms.  I've had it for around  7 years and the only work I've had to do was replace the loading gate once.  Everything else is stock out of the box and I've never had any issues with it.

If money is no real object, you might prefer the Henry or Spencer, but try to test them all before you buy.

Just my opinon.

Sgt. John McAfferty

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1214
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 01:29:27 PM »
...Many love the Henry and it's a good rifle, but generally almost twice as much or more than an 1866....

The only Henry that is twice as much as a '66 is the HRA company's new 1860.  The Uberti Henry costs about $200 more than the '66 and $100 more than the '73.  Depending on options, dealer, etc.  The Spencer runs around $200 more than the Uberti Henry.

Offline Sgt. John McAfferty

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 02:51:17 PM »
You're right Abilene,

I didn't realize the price had jumped so high on an 1866.

That's a pretty steep hike.

Sgt. John

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1214
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 03:02:59 PM »
Well prices just keep going up.  Good old inflation.  At one time they blamed it on the Euro vs. Dollar.  But when the Euro went back down did the prices go down?  Of course not!  If one keeps an eye out for used guns there are occasionally bargains to be had. 

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 08:57:43 PM »
Thanks gentlemen, I really appreciate the thoughts and advice.  I had not thought of the advantage of the 44-40 with the tapered case for BP.  Definitely something to think hard about.

Prices are a bit off the wall up here in Canada anyway.  A Uberti 1866  "Yellowboy" is going to run you around $1300 to $1400 up here.  I’m kind of leaning that way, but may look at the other caliber (44-40).  Will also look at the Henrys.

Thanks again for the advice.  I have a bit to think about.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com