Author Topic: Pietta US Marshall  (Read 440 times)

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
Pietta US Marshall
« on: November 10, 2023, 07:30:58 PM »
Anyone on the forum have much shooting time with Pietta's 1851 US Marshall, especially in 44 caliber but .36 caliber shooters also. Have read a bit in the way-back machine, but curious of any new reviews.
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Pietta US Marshall
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2023, 08:15:43 AM »

:) Hey Crow Choker  ;)

it just so happens, I have a whole GOB of experience with the Pietta US Marshal Cap Guns.  Actually, a Gob and a Half!!

Start with, the guns ARE NOT stainless.  They are highly polished and heat treated steel.  They take a little care and attention.  Only offered in .44 Caliber.  Starting at the front, one must first fit the Bolt to the cylinder notches.  This is a common Pietta failing, no big deal.  Change out the nipples.  I opt/opt'd for Slix for my guns and the guns I set up for my customers.  Several years ago, Pietta changed the material and the design of their hand spring.  The current iteration is bullet proof.  I see no need to modify the gun to coil and plunger unless you just like to do that.  It is my understanding, Pietta has also changed the Main Spring for something more user friendly but I don't know if that is just for Suppository Shooters.  You may want to mess with the Main Spring.  Last, I also suggest a "SlixHand" extension for the loading lever.

The guns really look good with the laser engraving and they shoot as good as they look.  I shoot .451 balls in mine with APP 3F.  Quite accurate.  My guns and the guns I built for my customers have been exceedingly reliable.  You can now also select from three different grip materials.  Try 'em and Yule Like 'em.

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2023, 06:25:40 PM »
Tank' ya Coffin! Ya I was aware they weren't stainless and of the three types of grips available, plain walnut, checkered walnut, and the ivory look that IMO looks real attractive. Yepper, 44 caliber, my favorite. I do have Pietta's 1851 Navy in 44 caliber and shoot .454 balls in it with excellent results. Do you shoot .451's in your US Marshall due to the fact they may load a bit easier than a .454 or did you find them more accurate. Ifin I'd have one in hand I have both molds so that would be of no consequence. Was wondering about that shorter loading lever if an aid would be necessary to jack a ball into a chamber. Thought may have to wear a leather glove to avoid the load lever catch from digging into the flesh. Had to do that with a Pietta Remington model until I took the sharp corners off of the latch. See EMF in their website have all three grip models in stock, something I hadn't seen for some time. See the various grip models here and there on various outfits selling them.

I recall some time back when you and the Major were talking about your Pietta Capt Schaffer hogleg models and you had mentioned the US Marshal. Your mentioning about the US Marshall got me interested as I hadn't paid alot of attention to any of Pietta's 'off the map' models from the standard ones. I have looked off and on but seems they have been out of stock most the times I looked, although I didn't look on a regular basis. I do see FWIW that the EMF site has the 36 caliber Capt available at present. O-Kee-Doke', thanks again for the info, ifin ya get a chance advise me about your use of .451 balls vs the .454's I'd be appreciative.

Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:20:20 PM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2023, 08:29:25 AM »

:)  Hey Choker  ;)

Right back atcha.  I have always used .451 Ball in my .44 Pietta(s).  .454 were reserved for Uberti (I REALLY don't like Uberti).  Reasoning there is a difference in chamber dimensions and the .451 Ball seats much easier in Pietta guns.  .451 still shave a nice little lead ring to seal the chambers.

When I played "side by side" I got no real measurable difference in accuracy between .451 vs .454.  .454 were a bunch harder to load.

Additionally, after going thru the guns and setting them up (Oh heck, I forgot, re-fit the wedge) I have always loaded on a Cylinder Loading Stand.  My Fav is the Tower of Power (no longer available) but there are others.

I didn't mention it before, but I always add a "Cap Rake" to all my Cap Guns.  Keeps spent Caps out of the Hammer Raceway and Lock Works.

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2023, 04:36:18 PM »
My first ever cap gun was a Pietta, the '51 Navy 44, 1972 gun show buy. Used .451's in that, later after buying Uberti Dragoon/1860 Army went to the .454 ball. After getting another Pietta 51 44 caliber I just continued to use the .454's with no problem.

Didn't want to cast separate 451's and be carrying 44 caliber cap guns out shooting both using a slightly different size 44 ball, enough to carry esp on a shoot, while walking/plinking. The original '51 Navy 44 met an untimely demise accidently getting mixed with items destined for a burn pile-call that one my Josey Wales gun. Still have it, don't shoot it, although I've been going to reconstruct it, have parts, just needa do it.

If getting one, I would cast/try .451's ifin the .454's are hard to load with the shorter load lever. Looked at those Slix adapters, they don't give those away. Think something like that could be fabricated without too much problem. At the distance's I shoot cappers, most of the time which involves alot of point shooting and such, that .003" with the .454's would be of no consequence, not going for cloverleafs, more like minute of tin can, minute of water filled milk jug, and back in the old days of river walking, minute of carp.

Ah those were the days, rough fish extermination on the banks of the two rivers in my area, carp only, no game fish. Days of combination of carrying both cartridge and percussion revolvers at times, sometimes up to three hoglegs at a time. Strong side, weak side, shoulder holster, plus shootin bag weighing enough to sink a boat.. Fast shooting, developed pretty good form, was a big plus when I got into law enforcement qualification shooting and various PPC and CRC competition shoots. We used too also roll pop/beer cans down sand/gravel piles shooting at them coming down, get as many fast hits as possible. Sometimes you'd blow em back up so as more shots could be taken before cylinder was empty. That shooting is where one of those Hollywood 20 some shot revolvers would have been nice, carp shootin to just thinking about it. Did use my 22 semiauto's at times but those 10 round capacity magazines would go dry. A Marlin 39M 22 worked good, what are they 15 rds?

OK, I'm rambling, hijacked my own thread. Good day to all. Thank ya kindly again Mike fer yer expertise. Crow Shootin Choker of Twin Rivers River Bankin Posse!!!!  ::) ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com