Author Topic: New Vaquero Problem  (Read 2621 times)

Offline Dusty Walker

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New Vaquero Problem
« on: June 07, 2008, 05:01:35 PM »
Hey guys. I was out shooting my New Vaquero in .357, shooting .38's, today and noticed a problem. About every 1 or 2 pulls of the hammer it won't lock in the cocked position. It will stay back, but it will pull past where it should and the cylinder doesn't lock. So when I puled the trigger the firing pin wasn't striking the primer, because it wasn't lined up. It doesn't do this on every pull though. I've probably shot 300-400 rounds through it. I've just now noticed the problem though. Has anybody had this problem that might know what it is?

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
Re: New Vaquero Problem
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 05:58:23 PM »
Well, if you've been cleanin it regular and it's doin that, I'd send it back.  It hurts to let go of your gun for a few weeks but Ruger will take care of it.  You could break her down yourself, but you'd have to be savy with each and every piece.  It sounds like a timing problem.  Have you checked the coggs on the back of the cylinder for anything that don't look right?  Is there a drag line etched in the last quarter inch of the cylinder?  That's not uncommon, but can be a clue.  It really sounds like something has gummed up the mechanism being that it does lock into full cock.  If it is a bad part in the gun, I would leave it to the manufacturer, or if you don't have time to wait, a trusted gunsmith--but that may cost you.

Leo
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline fourfingersofdeath

• The Old Loquacious one's loquacious signature:
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dang! Caught shooting a 357!
    • Mick's photobucket!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 05:28:16 AM »
Firstly, the calibre has to start with a 4! Those suckers aren't happy with those skinny 357s!!  ;D

Good luck with it!
All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:40:26 AM »

Offline Dusty Walker

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 10:03:15 PM »
I took the gun to a gunsmith because I didn't want to wait for it for a long time by sending it to Ruger. He took it apart, and said the pawl spring was probably weak, recommended changing the plunger, cylinder latch, and pawl. Her said it looked like the parts were weak, maybe a bad casting job at the factory. He called Ruger to see if they'd send him the parts, but they said they wouldn't  and they weren't selling them to any other companies either. So, now I am sending it back to Ruger to try to get it fixed. Thanks for your replies.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com