Author Topic: Why doesn't everyone use Rugers?  (Read 18932 times)

Offline jimmyb.1

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Why doesn't everyone use Rugers?
« on: May 27, 2008, 10:29:34 PM »
I know there are lots of cowboy pistols out there but they all seem to need to be slicked up.  I bought two new model blackhawks .38/.357 and the only mod I did to them was to release one side of the the trigger spring and the gun functions excellent.  Now, I have adjustable sights so I can shoot modern but the vaquero's are fixed.  I just don't get it - why subject yourself to all the hassels of some of the other guns?  I'm looking at this from a very objective viewpoint b/c I'm not a Ruger nut, never really have been except for my 10/22's.  Just an honest question.

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: Why doesn't everyone use Rugers?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 06:03:10 AM »
Howdy. Jimmy:

Here's my ponderings on it....Some folks don't like Ruger because:
(1)  They ain't Colts
(2)  They don't look exactly like Colts
(3)  They don't feel like Colts
(4)  They weren't around in the 1800's
(5)  They [may] cost more than Colt copies

Reckon I never cared much about those others. 
I mainly like the fact that they are built in the USA & last a long time. 
The "authenticity" is down my list quite a ways.

Mustang Gregg
(NOW, more than ever, we buy USA-built products)
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 06:36:17 AM »
Sounds like a question that would be asked on the SASS website.    I would imagine everyone here will be much more calm in their responses though. 
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:46:41 PM »

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 07:07:48 AM »
Don:

You are surely correct in that assumption about the SASS Wire. ;D You'd get a lotta HEAT over there.
Maybe one of us oughta pose this question over there.   ;D

MG

PS:  I don't wanna sound ALL-RUGER puffed-up here. 
Heck, I like Schofields too.  But just the ones built by S&W.  ::)
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 10:31:45 AM »
In my hands they just don't feel right.  Neither do Remingtons.  Colts and most clones do in 5 1/2" and 7 1'2" lengths.  S&W Americans and first model Russians do if they have 8" barrels.  Shorter ones don't. 

8" 1860 Army Colts and clones feel best.

In my hands.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Deadeye Dick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Deadeye & His Belle
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 11:39:34 AM »
Hey, I like Rugers  :)  and I like Colts  :o and I like a lot of the clones  :o . The nice thing is I can shoot them all. I would hate to choose, but if I had to the Rugers would be at the top of the list.  ;D ;D ;D

Deadeye Dick
NRA LIFE, NCOWS #3270, BLACK POWDER WARTHOG, STORM #254,
  DIRTY RATS #411, HENRY #139, PM KEIZER LODGE #219  AF&AM

Offline The Elderly Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 11:59:02 AM »
I like the 19th century guns and their clones for their historical feel and authenticity. For some people that's all-important and a Ruger sure messes up the authenticity of a costume you may have paid hundreds of dollars for. The older guns sure are fun.  But for a practical carry gun, especially in the back country, give me a Ruger. Even if you buy it new, it's usually less than a third the price of a new Colt, and it will last for decades of hard use without needing repair. In Blackhawk configuration it has sights that are easy on my aging eyes. Maybe best of all, you can buy a 20-year-old Ruger at a hockshop cheap and maybe it's dinged up from riding for years on the floor under the seat of a pickup, but inside it's probably as good as the day it came from the factory. You can always put a new finish on it.

Offline Black Powder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Not messed with since 1956
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 12:32:32 PM »
I like the old model (black powder) frame.

BP
I've got my excuses and I'm stickin' to 'em.

Offline Captain Lee Bishop

• Rough Rider, 1st US Cav (USV)
  • Top Active Citizen
  • ..on your order, Colonel Roosevelt!
    • Thunderbolt Productions
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 10:42:44 PM »
I understand where the purists are coming from on the authenticity issue. I am foremost a living historian and my NMVs just don't cut it for a authentic re-recreation of a SAA. That's why I now have my USV Artillery model from Cimarron. I will probably always shoot my NMVs for competition, but if I'm doing a display (or a film), I need something more historically correct.

Offline santee

• Keeping the Spirit of the Old West Alive
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The business end of a sixgun earns no interest.
    • Arizona Ghostriders
  • SASS #: 2171
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 10:44:00 AM »
I do primarily western reenactment and this subject comes up a lot. Since we abuse our guns (falls, scratches, etc.) a lot of us like the reliability of a Ruger over a Uberti-type clone. I mean, no one wants a broken spring right before a gunfight, especially if you are scripted as the winner! If a primer backs out (does happen occasionally), my Ruger will cycle through pretty easily whereas the other clones tend to lock tight.
But, they aren't historically accurate mechanism-wise. So, the debate gets heated. We are supposed to represent the Old West as accurately as possible. Most of us study photos and go so far as to have things like buttons down to right time period.

Although no judges will take off for using a Ruger, the issue arises with the public's experience. How we represent...

But I will always use my Ruger. Never fails me. 8)
Historian at Old Tucson Studios
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 02:35:30 PM »
My Dad's got a Cimerron open top 1872 in .38.  He's a couple states away and I can't wait to get out there and try it.  It just looks right.
     On the other hand, I love my OMV like a brother.  It's in my last wishes to be burried with it.  The only problem I ever had with it wasn't its fault.  Fired off a sqib and locked the cylinder up.  It took the abuse of me freeing things up and kept on going.  It's just the perfect single action pistol.  Ruger's still one of those companies that shows American pride in everything they do.

Leo
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Mossyrock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 08:16:13 PM »
Why not use Rugers?  Easy....they got no S-O-U-L....... :P
Mossyrock

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 09:16:39 PM »
Why not use Rugers?  Easy....they got no S-O-U-L....... :P
I don't need soul in a firearm I need and get Accurucy from my Rugers if I wanted s-o-u-l I'd eat collared greens and fatback!
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline Black Powder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 06:11:51 PM »
You don't need a Ruger to hit a target 25 feet away.  I'm amazed at how close the pistol targets are in this sport.

if I wanted s-o-u-l I'd eat collared greens and fatback!

I still don't think you'd get it.  ;)

BP

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 06:32:05 PM »
You don't need a Ruger to hit a target 25 feet away.  I'm amazed at how close the pistol targets are in this sport.

BP

I'd love ta have an original four clicker with a hammer spur firing pin.
     I haven't shot a CAS match, and I don't think I ever tried anything as close as 25 feet--yards would be more like it ;)  If it's really set up like that, I'd prolly be inclined to carry an OT clone to match the outfit--but as a gun I'd trust for anything in the real world, it's gotta be the Ruger ;)

Leo
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2008, 08:38:18 PM »

I still don't think you'd get it.  ;)

BP
No I don't!  I could do that with a slingshot! Now wheither I could put four shots out of five through the same ragged hole with the slingshot ia another matter altogether.
Hey I don't need nor do I want S-O-U-L I have too much gumshuin to need thet!

CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2008, 08:46:36 PM »
I'd love ta have an original four clicker with a hammer spur firing pin.
     I haven't shot a CAS match, and I don't think I ever tried anything as close as 25 feet--yards would be more like it ;)  If it's really set up like that, I'd prolly be inclined to carry an OT clone to match the outfit--but as a gun I'd trust for anything in the real world, it's gotta be the Ruger ;)

Leo
I'll second that particulary the part in bold print!
Just to set the record stright; I usually put five shots out of six in the critical mass area of a target @ 25 yds; I just don't put them through the same ragged hole.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2008, 09:50:50 PM »
My first single action was a Ruger. And my second. And the third. And fourth. And... For CAS, however, I shoot more accurately with Remingtons because they fit my hand better. They're historically accurate, too. I wish Ruger would make a good Remington replica so I could have the best of all worlds. I'd buy the first one. I know, there's the Ruger Old Army but it's not the same. I guess feel is what it's all about. No arguments about quality or value. I'd expect if you tied a rope through the trigger guard and dragged one behind a tractor for an afternoon, it would still shoot when you picked it up and cleaned the grit out of it.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Black Powder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2008, 04:14:03 PM »
Maybe I've got horrible depth perception, but the pistol targets at the matches I've been to and seen in clips here sure look like they're that close.  I'm sure the distance is specified in the rules which I haven't bothered to check; before my re-enacting interest moved west after the Civil War, I was target shooting my 60 Army at a bp only range.  Two distances were offered: 25 and 50 yards.  I haven't seen a match portrayed where the pistol targets appear to be 25 yards.

Maybe it's all practical, facilitates competiition, etc.  The folks are great, the smell and smoke is good.  Lots of Rugers, some have been lovingly cared for with fancy grips and one guy's got a matched pair that are engraved.  I don't care if they're Rugers or not; they're gorgeous.

The only firearms I own are as historic as I can find that I can afford.  If I needed one for something more for the purpose to which it was originally designed and wanted a single action for the job, I'm sure I'd own a Ruger.

BP

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2008, 07:16:13 PM »
Well B.P. perhaps you should have checked the rules> It is legal according to SASS rules for revolver targets to be anywhere from 7 to 10 yds. Last time I checked 7yds =21 ft. and 10 yds = 30 ft.
 As I said in my original post I put 4 out of 5 projectiles in one ragged hole @ 25 ft.  which I and others consider better than fair @ revolver distances. I freely admit that the distance is nowhere near 25 yds.= 75ft but not too many gunfights took place @ 75 ft. The majority took place at much shorter distances.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com