Author Topic: 30wcf Practice Load's  (Read 13752 times)

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
30wcf Practice Load's
« on: July 04, 2013, 05:08:28 PM »
This has been some real fun at the ranch, and range, practicing with the 30wcf,and light load's. Have been loading 160 grn. cast bullet's over 8 grn. of Trail Boss and a LG. pistol primer. This makes a very easy on the ear's, shoulder and gun load. Was realy suprised at how accurate this combo is out to 50 yd. Have not cronographed this load . Think it would do the job real well on pest and even big pest if need. The Grandchildren can use thier 30-30's in summer practice on small game ,with this load  and when they hunt this fall for big game they are comfortable with the 30-30 they have shot all summer. With .22 ammo getting hard to find these day's loading the light load 30wcf is prety handy. Here is my old thuty -thuty circa 1909, Good Shooting ....Dusty

Offline w44wcf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 30wcf Practice Load's
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 08:33:28 AM »
Dusty,
That's pretty neat! ;D  That's a wonderful piece of Winchester history you have!  ;D  

Being somewhat of a .30 W.C.F. / .30-30 history "nut", I like to replicate the vintage cartridges of yesteryear.... stepping back in time, so to speak.

Back in 1896, Winchester introduced their .30 W.C.F. "Short Range" cartridge which they initially called their 30-6-100, "For small game where the more powerful cartridge is not necessary." It would have been a great plinking round as well.

Velocity was in the 1,100 - 1,200 f.p.s. range, or about like a .32-20. Several years later the bullet weight was increased to 117 grs.

Longer story short, I have used the 100 gr RCBS and 115 gr Lyman 3118  with very good results. I found that 6 grs  of 4756, Unique or Universal provided a good replication load. 6 grs. of Trail Boss also shot well with the 115 gr.bullet and provided a bit more velocity.

I then discovered that Magtech offered their 98 gr. .32 S&W bullet as a component, so I ordered a couple hundred. These bullets had a round nose which would replicate the nose profile of the original "Short Range" cartridge (the 100 RCBS has a flat nose). Since they are .314 in diameter, I ran them through my Lee .311" push through sizer.  I found that 5 grs of Trail Boss was a good replication load and provided very good accuracy at 50 yards.  They shoot great out of my Winchester's as well.  ;D

I recently purchased the Lee 100 gr. r.n. bullet mold so more discovery ahead..........

fun, fun, fun  ;D  ;D  ;D
w44wcf    

aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt Cartridge Historian

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 09:52:46 AM »
I have made very similar loads with LEE .30-120 mould, wrapped with Teflon tape, and 7 to 9 grains of a medium shotgun powder.  They get carried around as small game rounds when out hunting.  They must be tried out on the range as the POI may vary quite a bit from full power loads.

2 Aug 13;  You can use this type of load with most weights of cast bullets.  They work for almost all medium military or deer hunting rifles, just up the powder 2 - 3 grains and YGTG
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:52:20 PM »

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 01:31:44 PM »
I think (fun fun fun) describes these load's to a "T" . I first started loading the light load's for the youngsters ,and soon found that I liked shooting these light round's as much as they do. w44wcf I found in my bullet cabinet a box of old Remington 100 grn. 310 lead bullet's  ,the  old red green and white box read's .32 ,and the bullet has no lube groove.but it does have a straight bearing surface and a ledge before the orgive , they look like the one in your pic of the 100's. These are lubed with some sort of sticky lube , 40 + yrs. old may have somthing to do with the sticky deal. So I loaded some of these little 100 grn. bullet's over 6 grn. of trail boss. I shot 9 of them at 50 yd. and was disapointed in the group I shot with the old 94 in the pic. above .The load was very plesant to shoot I will give the bullet another try ,and back the powder down to 5 grn. and see how accurate the 5 grn. load will be.Sir Charles deMouton Black,I have found the 160 grn. cast bullet and 8 grn. of TB. powder will shoot point of aim out to fifty yd. Have not tried them past this . Like you, I think this kind of load is very handy for wood's walking ,for the critter that the  full charge 30-30 would be a little much for . .........Dusty

Offline w44wcf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 07:40:50 AM »
Dusty,
Hopefully those vintage soft lead bullets will shoot aok with 5 grs.  Most likely they are pure lead (4.2 bhn) or close to it. The Magtech 98 gr. bullets are a bit tougher at 6.0 BHN.

Hopefully they will shoot much better with 5.0 grs. Trail Boss.

Although not legal for the Pistol Cartridge category of NRA Cowboy Silhouette, they sure are fun to practice with. ;D  

fun, fun, fun  ;D  ;D  ;D

w44wcf

aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 05:04:17 PM »
Had a chance to load up some of the Remington 100gr. bullet's with 5gr. of TB. today. I reduced the powder charge down to 5gr. the 6gr. charge was a pleasure to shoot ,but did not produce the kind of group's I know this 1894 is capable of.Will be heading out to the ranch in a few day's ,and will be able to do some shooting there, supposed to be working on fence. May be able to try the short range load's on small game or varmint's. I loaded the 160 cast gas check over 8gr. of TB.this load is very accurate to 50 yd. in my 94's  , and should do a number on small and medium game .These type load's are very handy .I can dispatch a coon or coyote while making my round's and not upset Moma Doe with her fawn ,or bother the Buck's while they chew thier cud's in the shade. Plinking load's and small game hunting ,I like it as much as any.FUN FUN FUN..........Dusty

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 07:36:06 AM »
Look's like the 5 gn. TB. load is the ticket for the 100gr. light load in my old 94. Had a chance to shoot it during my stay at the Lucky 11 ranch this past wk. Shot the load at 45 yd. and it would keep all shot's inside a 1-1/4" group. Should be big medicine on cotton tail .........Dusty

Offline w44wcf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 10:30:49 AM »
Dusty,
Good to hear that your vintage Winchester liked the 5 gr. loading.  ;D  interesting what  the difference of 1 gr of powder can make.........

w44wcf
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 06:52:38 AM »
w44wcf, the five gr.load of TB,shot very good, with the 100 gr. lead bullet . At six gr. it would throw flier's ,or more like (shoot a pattern).Dropping the charge by one gr.did the trick.Working with this small of a charge one gr. is a big deal.But I did not think it would improve that much. Glad I tried the five gr. charge . Now I have a fine small game load for the old 1894 Winchester.,,,,,Dusty

Offline w44wcf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 07:43:49 AM »
Dusty,
That extra grain (6-5) was probably generating an additional 200 f.p.s. which appears was just a bit too much more for the soft Remington lead bullet.  With a harder (wheelweight) Lyman 311008, 6 grs of TB works very well.

Unfortunately, here in PA, it is illegal to hunt small game with anything other than a shotgun and a .22 rimfire.  I did use one of these rounds to dispatch a raccoon once though. Worked really well. ;D

w44wcf
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member

Offline Adirondacker

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2013, 09:57:02 PM »

Unfortunately, here in PA, it is illegal to hunt small game with anything other than a shotgun and a .22 rimfire. 

w44wcf

You mean there's a state with laws more irrational than New York?  Just checked regs & found (as I thought) no mention of any such restriction here.  (What I did NOT realize is that airguns are legal for small game hunting, which is a invitation to wounding, at least in the hands of the average dope hunter.)  Rifles are prohibited for turkey, which makes sense to keep them from being slaughtered in open fields at 300 yds with high-power rifles, but it's a shame there isn't some provision for the use of .32 Longs, .32-20s, & similar low-power rounds.

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 10:34:08 AM »
The  .30wcf short range 100 gr. and the .32 Long Colt should be a very good choice for Rio Grande Turkey here in Tx. it is legal to take turkey with a centerfire rifle ,and unless it has just changed it is legal to also use a rimfire.22LR, on turkey , in most counties. Some of the eastern counties just a few, are shotgun only. I think like you Adirondacker ,not much sport in snipeing a turkey at long range. My personal limit's for turkey 50yd. or less .Or I pass on the shot. The fun is in the Calling, I am there for sport ,and going after the turkey and small game with the 30wcf short range100gr. and .32 LC, sound's like some fun sport to me. I can see this little 1892 Marlin becoming my small game companion.PS. I have read a very interesting article in Backwoodsman Magazine ,explaining how to reload rimfire cartridges. I think I will give this a try ,in the .32 LRF. Would be different for sure.                                                                                                      #   w44wcf, from what I have seen shooting the 100gr. lead bullet with TB. in the 30wcf, I would think it is BIG MEDICINE on coon size critter's .Will be able to try them out very soon, as I am loading up the Grandchildren for a wk. at the Lucky11 before school start,s . NOT MANY CRITTER'S ARE SAFE WHEN THEY ARE ON THE RANGE.Will post pic's. ,,,,,,Dusty

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 05:19:28 PM »
Had good luck with 10 gr AA2 both moly koted (bear creek) and non moly hard cast 170 gr 30/30 bullets out of my Krag (new barrel )
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2013, 05:39:07 PM »
CPT.DB.did you apply the molly yourself or did they come that way. I have a couple can's of Mrs Molly ,I have used it on jacketed bullet's . But not lead bullet's . May give it a try.Let a 1895 Winchester get by me a couple yr. ago in 30-40 Krag. Still kickin my self for that. Could have got that rifle for 600 buck's ,was brown patina but a solid rifle with the schnable forend. Now on the lookout for a 30-40 Krag bolt gun, in original form. ,,,,,,,Dusty

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2013, 11:30:19 AM »
Did not self moly, bought Bear Creek already moly koted.  Billy Bullets has them as well.  The hard cast non moly were purchased at WR from a local Phoenix Vendor.  Wow, must edit my original post as it is 10 (ten grains) not 100
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2013, 08:16:16 PM »
My Good Dusty T -
can you possibly relate how loud (or quiet as the case  may be) the report is with these 5 gr loads? Prio to the Great Ammuniition Drought I had found the Perfect Practice Round in the .22 LR CCI Quiet round. Now I find its best to ration out the 2 boxes I have left until the Drought is relieved, and a Very Quiet .30 cal light load may be my answer ...

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Adirondacker

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2013, 09:01:56 PM »
Now I find its best to ration out the 2 boxes I have left until the Drought is relieved...

Based on the dead silence I'm hearing from the several suppliers who've had my name on their waiting lists since early last Fall, I'd say relief is not "around the corner."  Heard this week of local retail store selling bricks of CCI SV at $50 ea, but I'm not quite that desperate yet...though I may be before long.  Meanwhile, I'm rationing, too.

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2013, 05:20:24 AM »
 I'll give it a try ,Professor Marvel .The report from the 5gr. TB load is more of a POP ,than a crack. These round's are very plesant to shoot,a very soft report.I think if you give them a try you will like them...Good Luck ,Good Sir,,,,,,,,Dusty

Offline w44wcf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2013, 08:06:15 AM »
Professor Marvel,
Yes indeed. You will really like the .30 caliber reduced loads.  Any lead / cast bullet for the .32 S&W or .32-20 will work just great. ;D
Depending on the diameter one may need to run them through a .311 or .309 (depending or your rifle's preference) sizing die.
The Lee push through die below is quick and easy.  
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another (of several) .30-30 gallery / small game / plinking loads I have tried used the 90 gr. SWC Hornady bullet. Awhile back I bought a box of 500 for around $30 or thereabouts.  It was well worth it. ;D

They are .314" diameter and have shot them at that diameter in some unsized .30-30 cases that had thinner necks. ;D

To size them down to .311" I used my Lee push through sizing die which fits in a standard reloading press.  I do not add the lube that comes with the kit.

They shoot great at 50 yards and cut nice caliber sized holes.  ;D

w44wcf
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2013, 07:51:03 AM »
Now that is some fine shooting. I like the look's of that bullet and group+++ ,,,,,,,Dusty

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com