Author Topic: Pettifogger Guide? Can't Find It  (Read 1196 times)

Offline Problemchild

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Pettifogger Guide? Can't Find It
« on: December 27, 2019, 05:27:34 PM »
I am having some issues with my Uberti 1860 Army, and would like to slick it up while I am at it. I am a fairly competent mechanic so I think I am up to the task if I can find a comprehensive guide. I am having trouble finding anything to buy or download online so I joined this forum and thought I would ask! (all the links seem to have been taken down that I have found)

Issues/concerns are the bolt gouging the cylinder before lockup, although timing looks perfect, and my wedge pushes almost all the way through after the first shooting so I am concerned that the arbor is too long or something. I also plan on deburring and honing things while I am in there. My main concern is reading up on the bolt and seeing what can be done there.

Thanks! I will continue to search the forum in the meantime

Offline Problemchild

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Pettifogger Guide? Can't Find It
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2019, 05:51:29 PM »
Pics for reference. Maybe I'm nuts but its bothering me  :'( First pic is of the gouge mark in the cylinder

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2019, 06:09:11 PM »
Nope, not nuts .  .  .  late timing.

Mike

PM sent
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @goonsgunworks

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:57:39 PM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2019, 07:19:38 PM »

Yup.  45 Dragoon be spot on.  The timing is late combined with a overly heavy Trigger/Bolt spring and the bolt head need polished.

The Arbor is not too long.  It's too short.  If it's Uberti - - - - it's .... SHORT.  Or looking at it from the other end, the bore in the barrel lug is too DEEP  ::)

Offline RUSS123

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2019, 04:24:08 PM »
I think I've learned that:

If the bolt is late from being released by the hammer cam top flat surface, it can be corrected by filing vertical, a little bit off the end of the bolt leg. That would allow an earlier release of the bold.

From observing my Pietta Frontier, the bolt gets released right at the top of the cylinder notch ramp. Quite different compared to my Ruger Vaquero which releases the bolt right after it leaves the cylinder notch, leaving a nice long mark to the next notch though the timing is good when the trigger drops into the sear of the hammer. Needless to say, I'm very happy with my Pietta 1873. Fortunately being stainless, the mark easily rubs off with a little bit of Mother's Mag Alu polish.
Russ

Pietta Frontier 7.5 357mag
Uberti 1872 OT 7.5 38 Sp.
Ruger Blackhawk Hunter 44mag
Ruger Single Six Hunter 7.5 22mag Conv.
Ruger Vaquero New 5.5 357mag

Offline Problemchild

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2019, 08:45:57 PM »
Thanks guys!

Dragoon 45 turned me on to the service manual. I'm gonna go through the whole thing and see what happens once the book arrives from amazon. Should keep me busy a few nights

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com