Author Topic: Chronograph  (Read 1904 times)

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
Chronograph
« on: May 26, 2020, 01:04:33 PM »
I've been toying with getting a Chronograph...

Not so much into the Hi-Tech high dollar units , more of a good basic model in $100 range just to check my reloads.

Looking at Caldwell , Competition Electronics  in a  price range  $90- $120

Any suggestions ,  avoids  etc.

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
Re: Chronograph
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 04:19:33 PM »
I have a shooting Chrony, works fine and has for 30+yrs.I have used it alongside some very expensive radar chronys and it registers the same.
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline treebeard

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 09:23:15 AM »
In the last few months I have been using a Caldwell chronograph which I believe cost right at $100 and been very pleased with it. It has raised my enjoyment of reloading up a significant notch. It is very easy to set up and operate. If you get one I think you will have fun— I do not regret the expenditure at all.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:44:30 AM »

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 09:35:54 AM »
I've used a Competition Electronics ProChrono for a number of years. It worked great except for the time that I used it to test penetration rather than velocity of a particular handload https://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?topic=60751.0 .

I'll add that their repair policy was very reasonable...

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 09:44:02 AM »
I went to read your post

Quote from: Coal Creek Griff on February 23, 2018, 05:05:09 pm
As a follow up to this, I am taking advantage of Competition Electronics' repair policy:

"Competition Electronics will recondition to working order any product returned to us regardless of condition for no more than ½ current retail price (plus shipping) if it is still part of our current product line."

They tell me that even though "someone" shot a 200 grain bullet through it end-to-end, they will repair or replace it.  I shipped it off to them and I'm waiting to hear what the repair bill will be.  They tell me that the turn-around is usually about a week, not including shipping time.  That's not too bad, so I'm saving a few Krag rounds to shoot it shoot over it when I get it back.

CC Griff

I responded then :

that's  COOL !   A company worth its word,  is something indeed !

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 10:58:39 AM »
Mine is an older model, but that appears to be the current/updated version, as near as I can tell.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Wagon Box Willy

• Top Active Citizen
    • My BPCR/CAS Site
  • SASS #: 89519
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2020, 10:41:10 PM »
I have a Shooting Chrony, shot it once with 45acp, still works.  It was always finicky and resulted in a lot of errors...very touchy depending on the sky conditions.

I purchased a Caldwell (around $75).  Shot it once, .223...too close to it and shooting too low for the scope mounted on the AR.

Anyway, Caldwell sent me a new front sensor for nothing and I'm still using it today.  It is way more reliable than the Shooing Chrony is and I like the fact that I can have my phone as a remote display on my bench.  They also now make a bluetooth version (mine is wired, plugs into the headphone jack)

I enter the measured FPS into Strelok Pro ballistics calculator along with the ballistics coefficient of the bullet and other parameters and select my scope and the target range and I'm always on steel right off...love it. Also works for iron sights as long as you can translate moa into your Vernier sight adjustment.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2020, 09:11:10 AM »

I have never owned a Crony.  Well, yes I have.  I have a Speedmaster wrist watch that's called a Chronograph.  Never been able to clock a bullet with it though.  Wonder if I have been deprived??

Hide and Watch

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2020, 11:40:32 PM »
I have a Shooting Chrony, shot it once with 45acp, still works.  It was always finicky and resulted in a lot of errors...very touchy depending on the sky conditions.

I purchased a Caldwell (around $75).  Shot it once, .223...too close to it and shooting too low for the scope mounted on the AR.

Anyway, Caldwell sent me a new front sensor for nothing and I'm still using it today.  It is way more reliable than the Shooing Chrony is and I like the fact that I can have my phone as a remote display on my bench.  They also now make a bluetooth version (mine is wired, plugs into the headphone jack)

I enter the measured FPS into Strelok Pro ballistics calculator along with the ballistics coefficient of the bullet and other parameters and select my scope and the target range and I'm always on steel right off...love it.

Also works for iron sights as long as you can translate moa into your Vernier sight adjustment.

That last bit is interesting - I am amazed how many long range dudes either dont, wont or cant translate that - its the first thing I did with my vernier sights - cut a big index slot in the vertical adjustment screw and worked out the MOA value of a complete turn - then I built a couple of windage adjustable bases and figured the cross thread value out - cant see the dang vernier scratches on the cheaper sights but I can do a third or half turn or whatever, easy as pie with that screw marked.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2020, 06:38:41 AM »
Well , revisiting this thread....with an update

I dragged my heels on a purchase for a while, looked at models & brands ad nauseam....

In that time,  one company - "Shooting Chrony" has apparently ceased to manufacture.... :-\
They are still in stock for sale it appears , but the company is shuttered from what I read.

The price ranges were $80 for the Caldwell  - to the LabRadar Doppler Chronograph @ $559.99

I looked into the MagnetoSpeed  barrel mount @ just under $200 and the Competition Electronics ProChrono about $125

and another brand north of $500 price, for the Oehler 35P

In the end,  I was just way over thinking it... I tend to do that  ::) sometimes.

So I finally bought a Caldwell ( base model )  I skipped the deluxe kit ( I don't need the indoor light kit or the tripod [ already having a camera tripod ] )

It is the best bang for the buck ... IMHO  I  used a  10% coupon and free shipping , for total of $ 76.60

So far I have dialed  in my TB/260 grain HB bullets , Webley hand loads.

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2020, 02:56:57 PM »
It may be too pricey for you, but what you get with the Oehler 35P set is the best there is. I've used one for years. You get a 2-channel detector, which compares the readings from two detectors. If they closely match, you have a good readout. If not, it tells you to ignore the shot for whatever reason (lighting conditions, etc.).  Currently they offer a package, including stands for the sky screens, a carrying case and other stuff.  Check with Oehler Research.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com