Author Topic: Historical round ball cartridges  (Read 1963 times)

Online LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Historical round ball cartridges
« on: October 10, 2018, 09:22:43 AM »
Did they actually sell paper or skin cartridges that used round balls back in the day? All the ones I've seen pictures of used conicals.

Edit: I'm talking about for cap n' ball revolvers.

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: Historical round ball cartridges
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 08:38:21 PM »
I think that's your answer.  I sure cannot think of any.

However, I do like to take ciggarette paper, wet and wrap it around a properly sized dowel.  Remove, twist one end, drop in a .36 round ball, pour in 20 grains 3f, and twist shut.  (Ball is dipped lubed in wax)  Carry them in a proper pouch.

At the loading table, bite off a twist, pour in the powder.  Smush paper and ball on top of chamber and ram down.  (Ball still in the paper)  Works great, faster than loose powder and ball.  Lubed ball and paper seem to keep the bore pretty clear as well.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Doc Jackson

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 08:59:21 AM »
Buffalo Arms sells nitrated papers, they're real sturdy and burn up completely. I use them for my percussion Sharps. I have some scrap that might be big enough for .31 caliber cartridges.

I think its worth the money, some guys make they're own but if youre not gonna shoot a ton, just buy them.
https://www.buffaloarms.com/nitrate-paper-for-black-powder-paper-cartridges-8-1-2x11-10-sheets-per-package-usa20745

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:44:35 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com