Author Topic: WTB converted 50-70 brass  (Read 918 times)

Offline Boss541

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
WTB converted 50-70 brass
« on: July 20, 2020, 04:22:24 PM »
Does anybody have any converted 50-70 to 56-50 for sale?
Thanks for looking.

Offline El Supremo

• kevintinny@hotmail.com
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Re: WTB converted 50-70 brass
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 07:14:54 AM »
Hello, Boss 541:

There are Threads on our SSS Forum and possibly in the SORI Section that discuss converting 50-70 Sharps cases to 56-50.

The conversion was common until Ken Kowell designed the STARLINE case, primarily for the slightly different chamber in the Armisport-Chiappa reproduction Model 1865 Spencer.

The people I know that were then selling such converted cases had BATFE Manufactuter licenses.

Presently, two custom case makers, Rocky Mountain Cartridge (RMC) in Cody, WY and Roberson Cartridge in Amarillo, TX, can supply 56-50 cases from bar stock with the nominal rim diameter of .650" versus the STARLINE's .640".  Buffalo Bullets in Idaho has sold cases made from 50-70, but I am not sure they do now. Call Buffalo and speak with Dave Gullo.

There is a possible legal issue involved in converting and SELLING such cases. Doing so might put the converter-SELLER into a "manufacturer" classification for BATFE licensing.  A friend was (emphatically) told by the BATFE two years ago at a SHOT SHOW that "he better get a license because manufacturing any of the four components of a cartridge, case, primer, powder or bullet, and selling them fits the licensing regulations".

I am not saying that one cannot convert for their own use. Best research this alternative.

I know from other firearms situations that for product liability exposure, "converting" is "altering", which puts the converter at risk if the work product is sold. 

If one considers doing the conversion, the main tooling is a Forster case trimmer and collet that accept the .650" rim, a pilot for trimming the mouth and a reamer that enlarges the shortened case wall to match sized bullet diameter.  Finding a reamer and altering it to fit the Forster tool is the challenge. There are several ways to shorten the case in Threads here.

Am curious what problem you are trying to resolve via the converted cases, please?  Thanks.

Very respectfully,
El Supremo/Kevin Tinny

PS:  It has been brought to my attention by a friend and SSS member that my ALIAS might raise eyebrows.
Sorry if so.  I do not care for ALIASES, but was required to use one here.  With the prior knowledge and permission of our Moderator, I chose a call-sign bestowed on me by a dear friend in a prior life. Smiles.
Pay attention to that soft voice in your head.

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 07:43:48 AM »
Kevin,

Nothing wrong with your username/alias . . .  no need to apologize for it . . . it must be the "times" some people find fault with every thing, just watch the news . . . our history has come under fire.  What happened back then - happened back then and shouldn't be faulted now, in the present!

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:10:25 PM »

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 08:35:14 AM »
https://www.buffaloarms.com/56-50-spencer-center-fire-brass-cases-50carbine

Buffalo Arms does a run now and then.   Contact them, often Dave will make them up if someone asks.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 422
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2020, 08:57:53 AM »
Amen !
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline El Supremo

• kevintinny@hotmail.com
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2020, 09:41:59 AM »
Thanks for the reassurance on my alias. 
And, more importantly that Buffalo can help with the converted cases..
VR, Kevin
Pay attention to that soft voice in your head.

Offline Boss541

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2020, 11:17:10 AM »
Thanks everyone
Buffalo is out of them till fall. 🤦‍♂️

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2020, 03:29:33 PM »
El Supremo, don't let the idiots get you down. I also came by the Pathfinder moniker from an old friend, MSgt Jimmy Stewart. It was awarded to me when on a day off that I intended to go out and shoot my Kentucky rifle and had dressed in buckskins to do it, I was called in to stop at work to sign some evaluation papers I had done on a trainee. Buckskins and moccasins, ergo The Pathfinder. And yes it was MSgt USAF, but I have also had dinner at separate times with both of the USAF Brig Gens Jimmy Stewart, may they all Rest in Peace.

Because, after all, everybody is offended by something... and always will be.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com