Author Topic: Used my 92 Rossi in a match...  (Read 6641 times)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
Used my 92 Rossi in a match...
« on: May 29, 2017, 09:55:36 PM »
Just got back from the four day annual High sierra Shoot Out at Railroad Flat, CA.  I used my .45 1860 Henry on ten stages, as I was using my .45 Schofield shooting 1872 Open Tops as my pistols.  I did, however, use the 44-40 old model (pre-safety) Rossi 1892 on two stages, just because.  Never missed a target, and slick and smooth.  That was on the first day of the main match.  On the second day, my pard, Hanging Judge Hemp (he and I camped together) had to use it as his main match rifle, as his Marlin .38 Cowboy totally locked up.  He used it 6 stages, with never a miss or malfunction.

The rifle's prior owner had apparently done a CAS action job on it with: lighter springs, highly polished action, and a replaced extractor spring (it did not mash the 44-40 cases like the early Rossi rifles do. I had checked for zero before the match, and nailed a 2" pinecone off hand at 30 yards with a 6 o'clock hold, so I knew I was good.

When I get my second .44-40 Uberti pistol out of Californication 10 day jail, I plan on alternating every other match with the Henry and Open Tops, and the Uberti 44-40s and the Rossi.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Online King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
Re: Used my 92 Rossi in a match...
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 06:57:28 AM »
Cool. Been using my pre-safety Rossi 92 in 44-40 for over 15 years, never had one hint of trouble.
King Medallion

Offline Rooster Ron Wayne

• Rooster
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Lube your Balls & Cap your Nipples ~ Just Sayin !
  • SASS #: 86029
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 04:59:26 PM »
I have three Rossi 92's in 44 mag.
I slicked them up about 10 years ago .
Stevegunz spring kits and with SS fowler and SS Magazine spring.

Puma SRC. 92
EMF Octogan 92
Rossi Standard Carbine 92

All Excellent smooth guns .
As smooth as My Henry or 1866 Yellow Boy and my 1873 .

I generally run 44 specials in them .

A properly tuned 92 is about as good as you can get.
And a heck of a lot lighter then all the other rifles .

Rooster
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom."

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:20:32 AM »

Offline Bibbyman

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 99098
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 07:50:45 PM »

Last month we stopped in at a gun shop that was closing on June 30th.   Just killing time,  don't you know.  I spotted an engraved Rossi 92 pre safety 357 imported by Interarms.  It was apparently a safe queen.  It looks unfired.  Mary made a quick deal on it. 

I thought I was safe because I didn't see any old doubles.  I made mention of the fact to the owner.  He says,  wait a minute,  and went into the back room and came out with this Remington 1882 10 gauge hammer gun.  He made me an offer I couldn't refuse.  Matching numbers with laminated steel barrels, 

I've shot the 10 gauge but the Rossi is locked back in the safe.

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 11:59:27 PM »
Nice!  Abilene Drifter has the same engraved Rossi .357.  He was on my posse at High Sierra Shoot Out, and used it the whole match.  Even though he has other rifles, including originals, he prefers it!

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 12:04:13 AM »
Rooster, you got the much lighter part right!  I used my 92 on several of the 12 stages, and really noticed how much lighter and faster it was than the Henry.  My pard who shared my camp, Hanging Judge Hemp, used my Rossi for all 6 stages on the second day, as his Marlin locked up.  He even commented how light and fast it was compared to his Marlin Cowboy (that wasn't working!!!! ::)).
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Rooster Ron Wayne

• Rooster
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Lube your Balls & Cap your Nipples ~ Just Sayin !
  • SASS #: 86029
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 09:01:57 PM »
No matter what Rifle Im shooting at the time .
My go to Rifle will always be one of my Rossi 92's .
Just sayin
Rooster
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom."

Offline Karl

• Very Active Citizen
  • Juneau Gold Miners' Posse
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 01:32:45 PM »
My regular SASS rifle is my stainless & brass Rossi .45.  It has been slicked and the magazine has been upgraded to a stainless spring and steel guide. 

I recently found this simple safety removal video: 

I inserted a wood dowel in the .25 case that I used then used a hack saw.  I marked the retaining pin holes then hacksawed them so that I could use the original pin to hold the cut .25 case in place.  Not a bad "poor man's" upgrade.  It matches my brass receiver a little better than a big steel rivet. 
-Karl  SASS #1772 "Max Degen"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com