Author Topic: Bullet alloys  (Read 1065 times)

Offline 6thMissp

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Bullet alloys
« on: September 20, 2023, 08:16:23 AM »
Good morning all!  What's a good mix of alloys to use for casting. Pure lead , wheel weights,  linotype and solder to be used. Just asking. Joel Foss

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
Re: Bullet alloys
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2023, 09:20:46 AM »
Most anything will work. My preference in black powder loads is 16-1 or 20-1 lead tin. Smokeless in higher velocity I like #2 alloy
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline El Supremo

• kevintinny@hotmail.com
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2023, 10:51:19 AM »
Hello, 6thmissp/Joel:

The NRA published a comprehensive book, CAST BULLETS, in 1979, and CAST BULLETS SUPPLIMENT NO. 1, in 1981 and 1987, both by E. H. Harrison. The info in these is exceptional and is, practically speaking, the "last word". I have seen faulty, incomplete and misleading info on Forums and even in loading manuals. Short of metallurgical engineering, all you need to know about casting lead bullets is in that book and its suppliment.

Since you have a variety of metals, rather than trying to create a specific alloy, perhaps starting with a mix of three pounds pure and one pound of lino will get you close enough.

The widely suggested simple test for ample hardness, that I incorrectly used for years, was to use my thumbnail to see if it would or not not scratch an indent on the test cast bullet ogive or flat on its base. The book recites on page 102, that this method is useless on hardened alloys.  So, I will email you a chart from it on page 30, showing alloy composition versus Brinnell hardness.

The composition of wheelweights has changed to include some other metals such as zinc and cadmium that will contaminate a pot of metal.  They cannot be fluxed out. Old lino is nominally 24BHn (Brinnel hardness) and pure lead is around 5BHn.  Cutting the lino with pure will drop the BHn to around the desired 16BHn, which is the same as NEW lyman #2 alloy. That will be ok, providing the as-cast bullet diameter is above your groove diameter plus .001" so it can be sized TO groove OD plus .001.  If the as-cast bullet is too small, add more lino to reduce shrinkage.

This subject can put us into brainlock, so please call me if you wish.

I modified this Post to include the NRA CAST BULLETS HANDBOOK. Smiles.
El Supremo/Kevin Tinny
Pay attention to that soft voice in your head.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:12:23 PM »

Offline Sedalia Dave

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 99699
  • NCOWS #: 3836
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 181
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2023, 10:38:47 PM »
Check out this thread. Especially the lead alloy calculators

https://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?topic=57368.msg688158#msg688158

Offline Jay Bradley

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2024, 06:33:23 PM »
Most anything will work. My preference in black powder loads is 16-1 or 20-1 lead tin. Smokeless in higher velocity I like #2 alloy

You are saying that it is safe to use smokeless powder in a new replica spencer?

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2024, 06:05:54 AM »
The replicas are proofed to SAAMI - Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute for smokeless powder within the recommended pressures.
I personally would not use +P, but Factory loaded 45 Colt would be Okay.

Allow me to qualify my post...
 somehow, I got the impression you have 45 Colt chambered Replica Spencer hence the 45 Colt response.
After speaking with Kevin "El Supremo" he reminded me of C I P the European Union equivalent.
Italy, and 12 other European countries proof to C I P, and the accompanying Owner's Manual with Chappa/ Armi Sport state C I P.
I still stand by, load to SAAMI or C I P smokeless pressures and follow the bullet alloy and weights
 in the Spencer Replica, smokeless will be acceptable.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2024, 08:26:41 AM »
You are saying that it is safe to use smokeless powder in a new replica spencer?

As stated above if it's a new one yes as long as the smokeless loads are held to saami specs as contained in most published reloading manuals.
 Plus p stuff I would stay away from, but with a bit of research it's not a diffucult task to find loads that will produce velocity above "standard" yet still remain in accepted pressure levels.

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2024, 01:08:00 PM »
Being a cheep SOB, I usually use straight wheel weights for everything. Muzzle loaders, cap'n ball. cartridge pistols and small game loads in rifle. For CAS use it has always worked well enough. I will say that Long Range BP rifle might need more care with selecting a proper alloy.

For hunting rifle, I do not lubri-size. I wrap the bullet in gas fitters teflon tape. (residue from copper jackets do not play nicely with alox lube residue.)

NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2024, 01:16:56 PM »
 Wheel weights are so unpredictable as to metal content any more, plus where I'm at getting any sort of good supply of them is not assured. So buying the commercial alloys works better.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com