Author Topic: How about a Krag Scout build.  (Read 1846 times)

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
How about a Krag Scout build.
« on: June 05, 2018, 07:37:07 PM »
This poor old Krag rifle was cut down in it's youth?, the stock roughly cut and a 03 front sight installed to mimic an NRA carbine.  I unfortunately paid too much, not doing my homework, and wound up not liking it. But I absolutely love my 1899 Constabulary Rifle. I digress. Wandering around the web I discovered Coopers scout rifle idea and figured why not. As I had an intermediate eye relief scope already. I used a Kraghaus forward scopemount, cut the bbl to 19 inches, refinished the sporter stock and added the ammo carrier and cheek rest. The only thing it needs is a sling but I haven't decided on the swivels. I really like the way it looks. I also lightened the mainspring so the bolt cycles even easier than before but still pops my CCI primers. I hope that my further desecration of said Krag doesn't upset the gentler soldiers in the Barracks. My apologies. But a good looking rifle that is shot and enjoyed always beats an ugly cut up ex military rifle living in the dark recesses of a gunsafe.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: How about a Krag Scout build.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 08:15:57 PM »
I see nothing wrong with that!  A fine hog gun. 

Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline smoke

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 10:09:32 PM »
That's a dang fine rifle!  I like it....not as much as I like your PC Krag but I would not be ashamed to own that.
GAF#379

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:42:24 PM »

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 10:42:46 PM »
Hi

Wow, I'm in total disagreement with myself on that sucker.  On one hand, somebody desecrated (o.k.  really too strong a word for this) history and I'm agin that in a big way.  I probably need to re-barrel and I don't want to.

On the other hand, it came to you "pre-desecrated" and you definitely made the best of it.  Never tried a scout mount, but it DOES look good for hogs.

:-\

Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

Offline Lord Eoin MacKenzie

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 12:49:48 AM »
I can use any pieces available {left overs} from  Krag reworks, even 03 sites, etc.  Let me what you have and how much $.  Thanks.

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 08:32:20 AM »
That looks really cool Ed! I'm kind of partial to scout configuration rifles, and this blend of old and new is neat. If I had a Krag that someone had already messed with, I would want to go this route and I'd hope mine looked half as good as yours.
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com