Author Topic: natural dye question-Chestnut-Test Results in.  (Read 3093 times)

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
natural dye question-Chestnut-Test Results in.
« on: January 08, 2019, 09:27:44 AM »
So, family has some chestnut trees that are really starting to produce and as luck would have it, the deer have not fully caught on to what treat is there, so not only did I get some chestnuts for the holidays, I got a box of hulls (only after I asked for it, as these things are spikey!).    They are not green hulls, as it was too late when I asked, but I have had luck making dye from brown walnut hulls, so I am looking to make some chestnut dye.  
My question is, does anyone have experience with this?   I have read that chestnut dye for wool requires a mordant, walnut not so much, so already something different.  I did find that a pair of vice grips will break them into medium pieces that when placed in a thick burlap bag can be crushed into less dangerous pieces.   Looking to brew a small batch in the next few weekends, so if you know anything, would love to hear.

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
Re: natural dye question-Chestnut
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 07:49:31 PM »
I don't have any experience with chestnuts but I'm quite interested in how it goes for you. Please post back here when you have made a batch. It should be an interesting color.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 09:42:12 PM »
Give it a try and let us know the results
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Advertising

Re: natural dye question-Chestnut-Test Results in.
« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:24:56 PM »

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 10:28:08 AM »
I for one would really like to see a natural Chestnut dye, let us know your results, it would be very much appreciated by our members..

tEN wOLVES  :D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: natural dye question-Chestnut-Experiment Results
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 06:52:53 AM »
Hey All,
I was able to get to this project over the last week.  
1.  I am pretty sure these are a variety of Chinese chestnuts, or at least crossed with them, as that is what the MO Dept of Conv.  is working with.
2.  Not pleasant to deal with. (#1)
3.  With stout gloves, pliers and a hammer, I broke them into little pieces.   After getting about 2 cups worth, I gave up.  (#2)
4.  I dumped the broken ones and then filled a large crock pot with whole ones.   
5.  Filled the crock pot with water (a little over 2 liters)
6.  Heated on high for 4 hours, then on low for 20 hours.
7.  Drained and thanks to using a liner, just transferred those spiky things to the trash. 
8.  After cooling, I soaked a holster that honestly had made its way to my trash bin as I was not pleased with the cut I did.
9.  Soaked the holster for 10 hours, then let it dry for a day.
10.  One coat of neatsfoot oils, after it soaked in and dried, I added a coat of a mix I made of 2 parts neatsfoot, 2 parts olive oil and 1 part beeswax.   

I think the colors in the picture are fairly accurate.  Wished it came out a deeper color, but I typically put a cup of isopropyl alcohol in natural dye to prevent mold.  I think it helps open the pores too, so need to do that and dip something else.    All in all, I like it.   

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 11:03:29 AM »
Hey, those spiny little buggers make a nice colored dye. Thanks for the test results. Looks good. :D

Did you line the crock pot with plastic? I would think that would melt or at least stick to the ceramic of the pot liner.

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 12:02:37 PM »
Hi Marshal,
I use the crock pot liners all the time.  Makes clean up a dream.   In this case, it minimized handling the spiny chunks.   I discovered the liners a few years back and they work well for potlucks.  I toss a liner in and load it with already prepared chicken wings and put on low.  in an hour, wings are warm, people can dive in and pull the liner and clean up is done.   

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 05:11:50 PM »
I had no idea about those liners. They sound like a good item. Thanks for the tip.

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2019, 06:22:04 AM »
That's a great looking color. Many thanks for sharing this with us.

I can control the color of my Walnut Dyed items somewhat by how many coats of Neet's Foot Oil I apply.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2019, 02:21:11 PM »
Mogorlla, it looks good, but also looks like a lot of work, but if this color holds up , it's worth it, thanks for sharing your method pard..

tEN wOLVES  ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2019, 07:15:44 AM »
Hi 10Wolves.  If I had continued down the path of breaking up the spikey hulls, I would agree on the a lot of work.   Once I opted for just dumping in the crock pot, not too bad.   Crockpot liner made cleanup minimal (and helped the straining).    Crockpot made the whole affair fairly easy to monitor as opposed to being on the stove.  It is going to be my go to way next time I make walnut dye. 

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2019, 10:00:18 AM »
Mogorilla, I've used a crock pot for years now , blending pine pitch ,bees wax and other ingredients, but haven't tried it for natural dyes, I'll give it a try next time , and thanks for sharing your findings...the pot liners would be a big plus in aiding to clean up..

tEN wOLVES  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com