Author Topic: GAF in Arizona - Call to Arms  (Read 35281 times)

Offline Bow View Haymaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: GAF in Arizona - Call to Arms
« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2012, 11:11:32 PM »
http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,44330.0.html

Anyone from the southwest want to wagon train to the grand Muster?
I sure want to go but need someone to help drive the team.  Safford AZ, about 3 hrs east from phoenix is where i'd be leaving from.
Bow View Haymaker

GAF #522  Dept of the Platte
SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

www.HighPlainsShootersSupply.com

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: August 04, 2012, 07:39:35 PM »
Got the time off work to make3 the trip.    Will someone PLEASE  share the trip with me?   If you like action shooting and history you will love a GAF muster.
Bow View Haymaker

SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: August 22, 2012, 06:34:49 PM »
Back to the top.
Come on troops.  Lets show some support for the GAF national muster.  If you have never attended one (and I don't think anyone else from the dept of the Platte has)  you are missing a great opportunity.   The musters are unlike anything else in the CAS world.  You get plenty of action.  (you have to experience it to understand)  lots of history,  great friendship.  All the things that make the GAF a great on-line group are amplified greatly at the  musters.  If you want the full experience lets go to Kansas in October and bring some ideas back so we can get the ball rolling here and have our own musters. I just don't believe I am the only one in the whole department that is interested in this.
Help an old Scout out.
Bow View Haymaker

SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

Advertising

« Reply #83 on: Today at 05:20:19 PM »

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: March 08, 2013, 05:31:23 AM »
I've decided to kick this dead horse again.
I think the Alter Valley club out of Tucson is willing to let me shoot their
"open" category GAF style.  At one of the smaller matches. (they are pretty big this time of year.)
I think I would shoot half the rifle targets with the single shot and do a full pistol reload on a couple of stages,shoot all rifle targets making up misses with my "scout" rifle and full pistol reload on a couple, and maybe even use my expansion era 1917 Enfield and 1911 on a couple.  a taste of everything.  I don't want to take a lot of extra time per stage but let the others get a chance to see whats different about GAF.  Then maybe get more interest down the road.  
I know some of you out there have been able to shoot GAF with you cowboy clubs.  How have you integrated it into the monthly matches?  targets shot? reloads? shotgun targets?  misses or keep shooting?

If there is anyone around southern Arizona interested in trying this Whit me, let me know.  I might try at the march 17th match at Alter Valley.

regards.
Bvt. Maj Bow View Haymaker (or Haymajor or Hey Major)
GAF Signal Officer, Dept or the Platte Chiief of Scouts.
Bow View Haymaker

SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: March 08, 2013, 05:47:53 AM »
On another note,  I am thinking of asking the "Bordertown" directors about doing a GAF muster side match at the AZ state SASS shoot the end of October. the biggest constraint will be time.  their side match day was pretty full last year.  If a is open on side match day and I'm not needed otherwise I will try.  I will be sure to keep you posted. 
Just let me know of anyone is interested in being there.  It would sure help. 

regards.
Bvt. Maj Bow View Haymaker (or Haymajor or Hey Major)
GAF Signal Officer, Dept or the Platte Chiief of Scouts
Bow View Haymaker

SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: March 08, 2013, 06:17:04 PM »
Bowview, what we do at C.O.W.S. is shoot all the rifle targets with repeating rifle, half the targets with single shot, and engage all pistol targets, with reloads as needed, and skip the shotgun targets. We origionally shot ALL targets, but all the reloads to include the shotgun targets or shooting all targets with a single shot really slowed things down. This last season, we managed to get a few extra rifle targets set right at the berm, instead of the "big and close" ones everyone else shoots. Nobody really shoots GAF Scout style, since that's just SASS with one pistol and no shotgun. (or NCOWS Working Cowboy) We origionally tried shooting shotgun targets with our choice of weapons, but quickly discovered that shooting 5-6 yard shotgun poppers with a Krag: A. was no challenge at all. B. Cuased LOTS of lead splatter problems. Also note, 45-55-405 puts down those little shotgun poppers with AUTHORITY!! But also with considerable splatter.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: March 08, 2013, 09:06:59 PM »
Pony Express,

You echoed my thoughts pretty close.  One part of me wants to shoot all the targets, more shooting=more fun, right?  But the other part of me wants to limit the single shots rounds to half and skip the shotgun targets and maybe even not do the pistol reload,  save ammo and not take to long for the SASS folks.  Maybe it will depend on the stage.   
Bow View Haymaker

SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

Offline Joe Lafives

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: March 16, 2013, 12:36:23 AM »
Bow:
I don't know if you ever get to Winter Range.  The Commander of the Dept of the Platte, LTC Sagebrush Burns, always attends, as does quite a few GAF members.  You may want to make contact for next year.  In the meantime, you may have some luck at Bordertown as well. 

Maj Joe Lafives
FA Cmdr
Dept of the Platte.
SASS 5481L

"Chewing gum online,  I hope you brought enough for everybody."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com