Author Topic: Department of the Pacific: Current Status as of 3 May, Inst.  (Read 2258 times)

Offline Malachi Thorne

• Commander, Department of the Pacific
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Gentlemen;

I have the honor to report that I have contacted all known members of the Department of the Pacific who have checked in at the barracks, and am still awaiting replies from several members.  Additionally, I have compiled a list of all known members of the Department from the GAF website, and am about halfway through assembling a list of these member's last known e-mail addresses from the GAF site.  As soon as this list is complete, I shall begin contacting all members of the Department via e-mail, giving them a current status of the GAF in general and ascertaining their individual interest in becoming active members of a revitalized Department of the Pacific.  Any member expressing an interest in becoming an active member shall be encouraged to sign up here at CAS-CITY, of course.  As a direct result of the above effort, I shall also discover and annotate any broken lines of communication, and foward these to General US Scout for his information and future action.

As Acting Chief of Staff, and only a Captain myself, I do not have the authority to promote officers; but will instead request individual officers and men undertake particular assignments on an ad hoc basis, said assignments to await permanent confirmation upon the return of Colonel El Confederado.  That having been said, I would certainly expect the Colonel to look favorably upon any member of the Department who "steps up to the plate" and gets the job done.

I am, of course, open to suggestions and recommendations to move the Department of the Pacific forward.  Please feel free to send me a private message or an e-mail detailing your suggestions/recommendations, and I shall review same and get back to you as soon as possible.

I have the honor to remain,

Your Obedient Servant,

Bvt. Captain Malachi Thorne
Commander, US Marine Detachment and
Acting Chief of Staff
Department of the Pacific

Your Obedient Servant,

Bvt Col. M. Thorne

"Marine Artillery brings dignity to an otherwise vulgar brawl"

Offline Malachi Thorne

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Department of the Pacific: Current Status as of 3 May, Inst.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 01:36:36 PM »
Gentlemen:

I have the honor to report that I have completed the contact list of all known members of the Department of the Pacific, and shall be sending out the following message to "all hands" this evening:

Quote from: Malachi Thorne
Greetings from the Grand Army of the Frontier, Department of the Pacific;

At some point in the past, you joined an online community of Single-Action Shooters and Re-enactors interested in portraying members of the 19th Century Military.  This organization, called “The Grand Army of the Frontier”, (“GAF”)  has recently been re-organized; and your name and location were listed within the states of Alaska, parts of Arizona, California, Hawaii, Nevada, Oregon or Washington (The Department of the Pacific).  I am contacting you today as a representative of the GAF’s Department of the Pacific to find out your interest level in the GAF, and to ask what I can do to assist you in becoming an active member.  For a quick recap of what the GAF is all about, I invite you to view our website at: http://www.grandarmyofthefrontier.org

Along with a top-level re-organization, each of the local Departments of the GAF has been re-organized with a mandate to revitalize current members, and recruit new.  As part of this re-organization, the staff of the Department of the Pacific is actively working on plans to organize military “posses” at local single action shooting events,  hold side-matches and postal shoots, and encourage military re-enacting within our ranks.  If this sounds like the sort of activity you would be interested in, I would appreciate hearing from you; we need your ideas, your enthusiasm, and your participation to move forward.  As acting Chief of Staff for the Department, I will be happy to facilitate introductions to other members in your area, and provide whatever information I have at hand or can find for you in the areas of military uniform and accoutrement acquisition, uniform specifications, known military uniform suppliers, etc.

If interested, please reply with your current location (just the city and state will be fine), preferred military affiliation (Cavalry, Infantry, Artillery, Navy, Marines, Scouts, Staff, Unassigned/No Preference, etc), and I will be in touch with you shortly.

If you are no longer within the Department of the Pacific, but still wish to participate in the GAF, please let me know, and I shall forward your contact information to the appropriate officers in your area.

If you are no longer interested in the GAF, or if this e-mail has reached you in error, please accept my apologies; just let me know, and your contact information will be stricken from the lists, and I will no longer attempt to contact you.

Your Obedient Servant,

Brevet Captain Malachi Thorne
Acting Chief of Staff
Grand Army of the Frontier

In addition to completing the contact list, I have broken down the list by last-known state of residence, to facilitate get-togethers and further staff appointments within the respective states.

Your Obedient Servant,

Bvt. Captain Malachi Thorne

Your Obedient Servant,

Bvt Col. M. Thorne

Offline Top Kick Ken

• Top Active Citizen
  • Oscar S. Johnson, GAR, My Great Grandfather.
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 10:22:40 PM »
SgtMaj. Top Kick Ken,

Reporting in.   Capt., Although the last few months have been spent fighting hostiles on all fronts, I managed to make it back behind the safe walls of the barracks. 

So what's been going on?  Anybody have an expanded sitrep?

Top Kick Ken
Respectfully Submitted,

Top Kick Ken
Sergeant Major, Department of the Pacific
Grand Army of the Frontier

GAF #71
BOLD #943
SASS #47880L

Advertising

Offline Malachi Thorne

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 11:42:59 PM »
Good Evening, Sergeant-Major, et al;

First and foremost, welcome back, Sergeant-Major!

I have the honor to report that all known members of the Department of the Pacific have now been contacted via e-mail. Approximately ten percent of these e-mails have been returned as undeliverable.  I shall post the names of these members shortly; if any other member of the Department has a good contact for any name on the list, please send it to me via PM or e-mail.

As for the Department of the Pacific, I have been appointed Acting Chief of Staff in Colonel El Confederado's absence.  In my above reference e-mail message, I have requested that members still interested in the GAF contact me with their city and state.  As soon as I begin receiving this information, I shall begin posting it to Officers and SNCO's known to be in those approximate locations.  I will then ask said Officers and SNCO's to contact members directly, to arrange in-person meetings, posses at matches, etc.

Long term, it is my desire to hand Colonel El Confederado a "turn-key" Department, with recommendations for command and staff positions, upon his return.

Should the Sergeant-Major, or any other member of the Department (or the GAF itself) have any suggestions on organization or building enthusiasm, I encourage them to contact me directly.

Your Obedient Servant,

Bvt Captain Malachi Thorne
Acting Chief of Staff,

Your Obedient Servant,

Bvt Col. M. Thorne

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk