Author Topic: Just semi finished project gun.  (Read 2276 times)

Offline rep1954

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Just semi finished project gun.
« on: January 24, 2011, 06:03:34 PM »
I had this Single Six for a little while. It's a 50th Anniversary. It was a good shooter The barrel never leaded up and it had a good looking forcing cone that stayed clean. Accuracy wasnt bad but I felt a good trigger and some grips that fit my hand better could improve it. I got a in the white XR3-RED short frame from a guy on the Ruger Forum and a set of thin Elk grip panels from Patrick Grashorn. I fit the grip frame to the cylinder frame and then the grip panels and grip frame to each other. I took the bilboard off the side of the barrel and the roll maks from the top of the barrel. I've never been completely happy with any trigger jobs that I have done on Ruger New Models except for 2. So I did what I do on all NM's and put in a Ron Powers hammer and trigger kit. I used the Wolff trigger spring that came with the kit but kept the OEM strut spring. Then I did a black powder chamfer on the LR cylinder. It turned out to be a really great little shooting gun and much more comfortable to shoot. My plan was to CCH the frame, hammer, and loading gate and blue the rest which I will do eventually but my local gunsmith wont do CCH on Rugers because he said he hasnt learned to get control of Rugers frames yet and make it come out like how he wants so I will have to send it to Turnbull sometime. For now I did something I said I would never do and did a quick antique looking finish on it. It was all buggered up from filing,stoning and emery paper already. I kind of like it this way and may shoot it like this for awhile before doing the final finish.

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 84934
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 695
Re: Just semi finished project gun.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 10:30:04 PM »
Nice looking Ruger.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com