Author Topic: Just a bit fed up about something...  (Read 13325 times)

W. Stick McCullough

Just a bit fed up about something...
« on: May 25, 2010, 11:33:44 PM »
 I keep hearing lots of folks harping on about how our Rugers aren't anything close to Historical or Correct for period. It all boils down to our transfer bar system. Well, go look up an Iver Johnson Safety Automatic manufactured starting in 1895. Guess what? They used a transfer bar system, not unlike our Rugers. No, our guns aren't top break, but to claim there wasn't anything close to what we shoot is a falsehood.

I'll step down offa my soapbox now. Just a bit cantankerous today......

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: Just a bit fed up about something...
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 07:43:59 AM »
OBJ:

Period correct?-----

Yep, I reckon that folks who think we should use 1865-1899 style (or foreign-made copies) six-guns also think that Ruger's transfer bars and in-frame firing pins are not correct.  :o

I am of the opinion that most all of what we do is fantasy, anyhow.  
So why not use USA-made * six-guns that are built from supierior materials and will last much longer with heavier loads?

MG

"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 11:28:38 AM »
Well, if you really want to complain about something, complain about the name Ruger gave to their cap-n-ball (now discontinued  >:(  ) "Ruger Old Army".  By rights, considering the design of the cylinder arbor pin/rammer assembly, the gun should have been designated, "The Ruger Super Whitney Army"!  ;)  Check the resemblance of the design to the Whitney Navy .36 revolver and the Spiller & Burr Confederate knock-off of the Whitney.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:55:09 PM »

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 01:22:33 PM »
I believe the Great Western revolver, which preceded the re-introduction of the Colt SAA in the fifties, also had a transfer bar system.

Offline Danny Bear Claw

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 01:28:51 PM »
Well, if we wanted to be historically accurate there wouldn't be any 38 specials in the game either.  Then where would all the gamers be?  45 special???  Excuse me!!!   ::)
SASS #5273 Life.   NRA Life member.  RATS # 136.   "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us".

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 01:04:10 PM »
Here-Here!!!!!!!!! ;D Even though I am a fan of the Ruger three-screw guns(pre-transfer bar) and I do have a Colt Model P type 45(EMF) single action, I have two transfer bar Ruger Vaqueros. I had to get use to the process of not puttin' the action on half-cock to load/unload, seemed strange to just open the gate and have the cylinder spin, missed the three 'clicks' sounding as you pull the hammer back. I quess it's calming to know ya can load all six 'beans in the wheel' and have peace of mind about the thing not firing unless ya cock the hammer and pull the trigger or be concerned about droppin it, but I never had a problem before. Even if I didn't have the two tranfer bar Vaquero's, I won't think twice about a shooter who did and 'harp' about them not being "historically correct". Think sometimes those that bring up the issue of not being "historically correct" go a little to far. Yes, if your just shootin at a non-CAS type shoot, shootin pre-1900 style guns, guns and dress is a non-issue. If it's at a organized CAS, SASS, NCOWS, etc shoot, "it is" and ya do the best ya can. Even the ones who 'eye dress' other shooters for the 'right clothing' and the 'right guns' I don't think are 'pure as the wind driven snow'. Bet they got modern production Fruit-of-the Loom or Hanes bvd's on or are wearing modern production Vision World or other makes of eyeglasses on, or have other gun/clothing items that don't really conform to the  pre-1900 era, but are really nice to have available.  Not critiicizing them for trying to be as 'historically correct' as possible, but ya gotta give some slack when slack is needed. Just my opinion and thoughts.
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline rebsr52339

• Bowie Knife Dick (SASS#87007)
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 11:01:54 AM »
In my 71 years on this planet I have collected and owned many, many and still have a boat load of Rugers. I give a lot of credit to Bill R. and the Single six coming out in the 50s along with the "adult" TV westerns for the resurgence of interest in the single action. We may have gotten to where we are now, though it may have taken longer, but for the introduction of the Single six and then the Black hawk .357 mag and some others, Colt and Stoger come to mind. We RATS don't have to look down or up to anyone when it comes to "historically correct". A single action five or six shooter is all the same. Long live Ruger and CAS. Just my three cents.
Bowie Knife Dick
NCOWS #3318
SASS #87007
RATS #564
ABKA #23

W. Stick McCullough

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 06:05:35 PM »
Well, if we wanted to be historically accurate there wouldn't be any 38 specials in the game either.  Then where would all the gamers be?  45 special???  Excuse me!!!   ::)

I have no issue with what caliber a man shoots, historically accurate or not. If it takes a .38 to get people playing, then hey, I am all for it. I would prefer that they have enough powder in the case as to make a Bang-Clang and not a Poof-Tink, but some people are afraid of recoil and I understand that.

Offline Jamie

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 09:36:12 AM »
In a sense my response is worthless - I've never shot a match - there aren't any close enough and in the right timing for me.  Sundays are off limits because I'm a minister, and vacation time is devoted to family, so, so far, no go.  I hope to alter that at some point in the future.  However, it seems to me from the historically accurate standpoint, it would make more sense to suggest that someone who slept at a Holiday Inn Express should be barred because they didn't spend two months prior to the event sleeping for 4 to 5 hours a night on the ground, outdoors, through rain, snow, etc.  Or how about banning everyone who didn't smell like cow excrement (that would be distracting on the line...) Or make everyone take a blood test for lead, and anyone who didn't register dangerous levels from lead in the cans their food comes in should not be allowed to shoot, unless they could positively demonstrate that they had a tapeworm, in which case they could be given a dispensation.  Or how about simply REQUIRING

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 10:30:54 AM »

It's a game pards, we shouldn't make more out of it than it is, the early CAS shooters that set up the rules did a good job in my eyes, you can't satisfy every one and that's with anything where rules are needed, like Mustang Greg points out, it's a FANTASY GAME, and is meant to be a fun game for the whole family, so those that aren't Ruger fans don't stress out so much on technicalities , I for one of thousands am grateful that Ruger makes the fine line of old Western guns they do, and that they are allowed in this sport even though they have a transfer bar safety, I think some times folks get CAS and reenacting mixed up.

Regards

tEN wOLVES  
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline andy42s

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 06:26:24 PM »
I keep hearing lots of folks harping on about how our Rugers aren't anything close to Historical or Correct for period. It all boils down to our transfer bar system. Well, go look up an Iver Johnson Safety Automatic manufactured starting in 1895. Guess what? They used a transfer bar system, not unlike our Rugers. No, our guns aren't top break, but to claim there wasn't anything close to what we shoot is a falsehood.

I'll step down offa my soapbox now. Just a bit cantankerous today......

I love my New Vaquero, but I will agree it is not correct. From a distance it looks like a Cot 1873, but it's different. If the Iver Johnson was starting in 1895, how are you using it to justify an 1873 being correct?

Offline santee

• Keeping the Spirit of the Old West Alive
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The business end of a sixgun earns no interest.
    • Arizona Ghostriders
  • SASS #: 2171
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 06:57:22 AM »
So what if it's not exactly correct? If you really look at some of folks in this sport you will see a lot of "not historically correct". Not specifically firearms, but in clothing, gun leather, and (as already mentioned) calibers.
It's the Single Action Shooting Society, not the Must Shoot Colt Society.
Historian at Old Tucson Studios
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 10:37:53 AM »
So what if it's not exactly correct? If you really look at some of folks in this sport you will see a lot of "not historically correct". Not specifically firearms, but in clothing, gun leather, and (as already mentioned) calibers.
It's the Single Action Shooting Society, not the Must Shoot Colt Society.

I once had a discussion with a re-enactor who was critical of my using synthetic thread in my leather goods.  He said it was completely un-authentic, and he was for authenticity in all respects.  (My customers want their leather to hold up for more than three years, which was about the average life of CW military equipment. My gear will pass the "5-ft rule", not just the 10 yard rule...if you look at it at 5 ft. you can't tell it from an original.) Since he did a lot of mounted re-enactment and owned several horses, I asked him if he got his tetanus shots reguarly (as prescribed by an M.D.).  He replied, "Of course!"  I then asked him how he could claim to be "authentic", since more people died of lockjaw (tetanus) during the War than from immediate effects of battle wounds!  It is a game, people!  If you are having fun, safely, then apart from not wearing tennis shoes and baseball caps, don't sweat the small stuff!
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline santee

• Keeping the Spirit of the Old West Alive
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The business end of a sixgun earns no interest.
    • Arizona Ghostriders
  • SASS #: 2171
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 07:06:07 AM »
EXACTLY! I doubt any of us wear historically correct underwear at events/shoots.
Point that out the next time someone tries to one-up ya!
Historian at Old Tucson Studios
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Offline Doc Sunrise

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 06:02:30 PM »
I don't shoot CAS, but I am a shooter and very fond of Single Actions.  I own Rugers, Colts, USFA, Freedom Arms, and some other great Single Actions.  I will admit I favor USFA SAAs & Colt 2nd Gen SAAs, but I will also admit that I am very fond of Rugers. 

Although it is true that if a shooter was looking to be more "Historically" accurate in regards to replicating The Colt SAA, the Ruger may not be the first choice.  However, it is also true that Bill Ruger was a genious, and he had a fondness for making great and very affordable firearms.  He not only satisfied the demand that Colt couldn't be bothered with, but he also found ways to make the SAA design better and stronger and capable of shooting the more powerful cartridges, back in the 50's.

Rugers are not Colt replicas, but they are Historically accurate of the design variations and improvements created by Bill Ruger.  Rugers are damn strong Single Actions created by a genious, and they do not fail.   

Offline MJN77

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2010, 08:16:33 AM »
I am a new member to this forum but a long time shooter and lover of all things "old west". I have just ordered my first Ruger after years of buying "period correct" guns and I have to say, rugers aren't period correct. But so what? This is like playing guns as a kid but with real guns.That's all it is. To the original poster, if you are happy with your Rugers that's all that matters. You kinda came off as whining about what other people said. You made your choice of what guns you wanted to shoot. Nothing wrong with that. Nothing wrong with shooting Rugers either. There are a lot of "ultra authentic nazis" out there. Not much you can do about that. Who cares what they think. As long as you're happy, what's the big deal? Don't mean to hurt any ones feelings, just how your post came off.
                                                            Marshall

W. Stick McCullough

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2010, 12:22:04 PM »
 Well, beings as I'm being called a whiner I'll reply again. The main bucking point most people in this game have with Rugers is the transfer bar system and how it's not 'period correct'. Reread my post. Do the research on the firearm mentioned. Then STFU about 'period correct'. No one ever says 'Colt never made...' it's always 'They never made them that way.'. Yes, they did. No, they didn't look like 1873 Colt SAA's. But then again, I have never seen any original levergun chambered in .45 Colt, and for those who love the 1860 Henry so much, weren't those all .44 Henry Rimfire? With a much shorter frame?

And as for whining, no, that was not the intent. You just put it there because you felt like it. For the record, I'd rather shoot my OMV's over ANY other SAA style gun. Try my handloads on your (insert any other manufacturer here) and I bet you walk away with scrap.

Oh, and I wouldn't just toss the word Nazi around so casually, it's really got nothing to do with folks opinions. Common vernacular or not.

I'm done here. Safe trails.

Offline MJN77

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2010, 01:55:15 PM »
Buddy, if ya want to act like an a$$ that's fine with me, but the fact is no matter how much you get angry or hateful or offended or whiny, they are not period correct. A ruger is not meant to be. A ruger is not an Iver Johnson. The same way as it is not a colt or anything but a Ruger. Nothing wrong with that. I never said you were whining, I said you came off that way. You were however whining on your last post. Apparently this is an unfriendly place to be if I don't agree with what you say. I can see why you get fed up with things. Obviously, when someone disagrees with you, you go into a fit and tell them to STFU. I was actually saying it doesn't matter what other people say about your guns. No need to act like an immature prick. Sorry you got so bent out of shape.  I have to say for my first foray onto the Ruger board, it was disappointing. This is the only board where I have run into anger like this. I hope the rest of you fellas aren't like this.

P.S. I know da*# well what a Nazi is, as I had an uncle that served in WWII. You will notice the quotation marks around the phrase. That implies sarcasm.  ;D

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2010, 04:11:41 PM »
Aw, Pards!  Let's just simmer down a tad.  This really IS a friendly forum.   ;D

But is a Ruger forum.
So things around here are sort of pro-Ruger, you might say.  :-\

Let's go do some CAS!!
Mustang Gregg

"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline MJN77

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2010, 05:40:29 PM »
"But is a Ruger forum"

I expected that. That's why I checked it out. As I said I just ordered my first Ruger. I didn't come here to start a fight. The other fella just don't like someone disagreeing with him I guess. Like I said, Rugers are meant to be Rugers. Period. I Don't think there is anything wrong with that. As long as the Ruger shooter likes them, who cares what anyone else says. I used to be a civil war reenactor years ago. You always had some jacka$$ wanting to tell you this is not period correct or that isn't right. I never paid 'em no mind. I just politely said if you think I should have something else buy it for me. If not, go away. I just don't see what the big deal is that other people don't like the guns you shoot. I never bought a gun to impress someone else.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com