Author Topic: Ruger .357 Montado  (Read 9300 times)

Offline Fritz

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Ruger .357 Montado
« on: February 18, 2010, 04:39:59 PM »
I recently saw a video taken at the December 2009 SASS convention where a Ruger rep stated that they are making a .357 Montado that is now for the ground shooters.  Apparently the ground model no longer has the grooves milled on the grip frame.  Does anyone know if they are available?  I don't see anything on the Ruger website that discusses a Montado for ground shooter.

Fritz

Offline fourfingersofdeath

• The Old Loquacious one's loquacious signature:
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dang! Caught shooting a 357!
    • Mick's photobucket!
  • Liked:
Re: Ruger .357 Montado
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 08:47:16 AM »
Whats a ground shooter? All I can think of is a quick draw shooter with a jerky trigger finger.
All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com

Offline yeti76620

• Reverend Sassquatch Dawg
  • Top Active Citizen
  • It's a good day to die....
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 12:31:29 PM »
HHHhhhhuuuuummmmm, ???

I'm-A-think'n that..... a ground shooter is one who shoots with his boots on the ground as opposed to in a stirrup knee-hugg'n some horse flesh.... ??? ???  The "Mounted" SASS folks used the ol' Montado model  with the lower hammer profile shoot'n wax boooolits..SASS said it was fur safety now everyone can have low-profile hammers.... ;) ;) ;) ;D

I'zzz also-A-think'n that the ground shooter Montado model is the "SASS New Vaquero"..don't know of any "groves" on the back-straps...can't see 'em in pictures... :-\ :-\

Yeti76620
NRA LIFE Member     SASS #76620     SCAA #1    RATS #480    OUTLAW

“Lord, make me accurate, my aim true, and my hand faster than those who would do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be "If only I had my gun"; finally Lord, if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.” ...... Amen

http://www.nationalgunrights.org/
CONTACT YOUR POLITICIANS: http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/takeAction.html

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:03:53 PM »

Offline Fritz

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 09:08:43 AM »
Very informative fellas.

Fritz

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 10:04:11 AM »
I believe they have released a version of the Montado that has eliminated the grooves on the frontstrap. Whether the original version with the grooves is still in production is not clear. Neither version will be found in the Ruger catalog, as I believe the gun remains a "distributor special" through Davidsons. Took my .45 Montado out for the first time Sunday and I like it very much. Trying to resist the urge to buy a horse.

Offline yeti76620

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 02:36:21 PM »
Took my .45 Montado out for the first time Sunday and I like it very much. Trying to resist the urge to buy a horse.

Ol' Doc........NNNnnnhhhheeeeeyyyyyhhhhaa.......Buy More RUGERS!   :D :D :D

Yeti

“Lord, make me accurate, my aim true, and my hand faster than those who would do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be "If only I had my gun"; finally Lord, if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.” ...... Amen

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 01:01:55 PM »
The Montado is a Davidson's exclusive.  Go to Davidsons and click on the gun genie.  They have plenty of .357 Montados.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx?item=5126

Order from your local dealer.  Most sell at significantly less than suggested MSRP.

Offline yeti76620

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 08:01:16 PM »
Nice catch Pettifogger...Ya learned me somethin'.....

Is the Montado SASS legal for ground shooters now?  ???    ???

Looks like the only difference between the SASS NMV & Montado, {besides the SASS NMV has widened rear sight and reverse spin cylinder} is that the Montado's bbl is about and inch shorter and grooved front strap and this model comes in 45 colt too (none in stock at this time)....oh and about $48.00 each more......Really good information!!!

Thanks,

Yeti76620

Offline fourfingersofdeath

• The Old Loquacious one's loquacious signature:
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dang! Caught shooting a 357!
    • Mick's photobucket!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 06:49:25 AM »
I only shoot big bores, 44/40 and 45 Colt, but bought my wife a brace of SASS 357s. Boy, are they sweet! Now if they made them in 44/40 or 45Colt.
All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 11:42:15 AM »
I recently saw a video taken at the December 2009 SASS convention where a Ruger rep stated that they are making a .357 Montado that is now for the ground shooters.  Apparently the ground model no longer has the grooves milled on the grip frame.  Does anyone know if they are available?  I don't see anything on the Ruger website that discusses a Montado for ground shooter.

Fritz

Yes, I believe they are now legal under SASS rules, but I would go to the SASS Wire to make sure.   Ask the question and you will get some very reliable answers over there.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com