Author Topic: Brass cleaner and polish  (Read 1303 times)

Offline Curtis264

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Brass cleaner and polish
« on: February 19, 2020, 12:16:25 PM »
What does everyone use for keeping the brass receiver clean and polished. I call Stroeger and they said any good quality brass polish. I don't want to damage the finish so I am looking for some suggestions. Thanks for any help

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
Re: Brass cleaner and polish
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 02:57:18 PM »
I used to worry about it and keep it polished.   I used brasso.  DO NOT USE BRASSO.   I swore I cleaned every bit of the gun and went to shoot the following month and the carrier block was stuck tight.   Wound not move.   I am not a small man and I can apply some pressure.   Finally a bigger fellow who could apply more pressure got it to move and you could clearly see a very tiny amount of dried brasso.    I would love to hear what others use, as I felt I had been meticulous but still missed a spot and I was to the point of googling Gun Smiths on my phone when the other fellow gave me the "let me see that!"    So, mine a little less bright, but cleaner.   

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 03:39:48 PM »
Don't bother cleaning it. Eventually it takes on a beautiful, dull mustard color. Won't give your position away by reflection, then. ;) ;D

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:16:21 PM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 04:45:36 PM »

This will be of absolutely no use to the OP.  Well, maybe some use.  A little, anyway.

Was a time when I was all "anal" about my Brass Rifles.  After all, I have 6 of the things.  Use to sit down for regular polish sessions.  Me and a can of Brasso.  I like Brasso.  Just be careful with it.  There is actually no finish to damage unless your speaking of the finish on the Stocks.  There is nothing more than a factory polish job on the metal works.  Anyway, took extreme pride in a nice, really shiny rifle.  Then I quit with the polish already.

I shoot the guns.  A Lot.  Constantly polishing seems(ed) silly.  BP and Subs and some Smokeless get all kind of krud on the Brass.  Leave it alone.  Eventually it will tarnish and look like it's older than you are.  Really neat.  My main shooting partner's Henry looks like it went through the Civil War.  Mine are getting close.  You will also save money on Brasso.

But .... if you just abslutely must, you might also want to try Flitz or Semichrome.  Rub and buff away.  Next time you shoot the thing, time to polish again.  Almost as bad as trying to make your match brass look shiny new.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2020, 05:03:09 PM »

There was a time some manufacturers applied a clear coat of lacquer over their bright brass to keep air from oxidizing it. It always fails, eventually. Then you'll need to remove the lacquer before trying to polish.

Maybe that practice went by the wayside, so not sure. Good to test.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2020, 06:31:02 PM »
I am letting mine patina, but I used to polish it years ago.  And when I was on Cimarron's road crew, we would need to keep their show guns shiny.  I have used Flitz  for that and it works good, but it will take the charcoal blue right off of the screw heads (Cimarron's have charcoal blue screws, not sure about other importers).  Nev-R-Dull does a good job and doesn't make a mess or get into crevices, and doesn't take off the charcoal blue.  Plus you can pull off a tuft of it out of the can and stick it in a plastic baggie for convenience.  That's what I use at home for polishing metal other than guns.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2020, 10:13:52 PM »
Shoot lots of black powder in it and soon it will look as it should.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com