Author Topic: I Have Replaced My Henry...!  (Read 8609 times)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
Re: I Have Replaced My Henry...!
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2019, 10:13:42 AM »
My 7.0 grains of Trail Boss and a 200 grain .428 Missouri Bullet Company bullet gives me right around 1125 + or - from my Henry.  It roughly duplicates the original 200 grain Henry flat with 28 grains of BP.  I would love to have a place to try 200 yards on it!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Yeso Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2019, 05:02:57 PM »
Well, we are a long ways from being "next door neighbors" (my closest is 15 miles) but you are more than welcomed to shoot here. 

Billy

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1637
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2019, 12:51:55 AM »
      Greetings!

I was contemplating a .430" Milk Carton card wad under a harder bullet of "Pot-Luck W-W"; I
suppose that I could also increase the diameter to .429" / .430"...
   I've also been thinking of tinkering with my Bullet Lube ( 1/2 Olive Oil & 1/2 Bees Wax ) by
adding Jojoba Bean Oil. I read an article in "The Buckskin Report" (?) about Jojoba Bean Oil being
an analog to Sperm Whale Oil. Hmmm...
   My eyes might appreciate an Aperture Sight... Currently, I'm not really keen on a Tang Sight for
the Henry, but I wonder how an aperture on the Rear Sight Elevator might work out, a-la Remington's
"Rough & Ready" Rear Sight.

Thinking Out Loud... Thanks for the Tips!

M.T.Marfield
                          8-10-19 

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 10:52:25 AM »

Offline Yeso Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2019, 01:57:09 AM »
M.T.
Before I switched to the vegetable wads, I shot a few milk carton cards but not enough to ever determine if they worked for me.  (milk / juice cartons are a pretty rare item here.)  My barrels measure .4295" on both guns.  I have shot sized bullets from .428 to .432 (from mold) without seeing any earth shaking results.  I selected .431 because they "fill up" the chamber better....and they also fit in the Uberti pistols. 

I have some 50/50 ww / lead alloy 215 bullets that according to LBT's hardness tester, test 14 BHN.  These were the only bullets I have shot that left lots of lead slivers on the cleaning patch.  (Shooting BP, I clean after every string of 6 or 8 shots)  I have never tried straight ww. 

And I just buy SPG.  Weather permitting, I try to shoot daily and I have enough trouble casting enough bullets and keeping the cases clean. I have some DGL here but have never tried it because I think SPG works well. 

I just looked at MVA's "Rough & Ready".  https://montanavintagearms.com/product/sights/mva/rough-ready-barrel-sight/ 
I toyed with the idea of drilling a hole in the Henry's rear sight and trying that but decided to go with the Soule because of the much longer sight radius, the windage adjustments and the Hadley cup.  They are expensive but in my case, have been worth every penny. 

Billy

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2019, 01:32:33 AM »
      Greetings!

My next days off, I'm going to fire up the Lead Pot... In the mean time, photos from a brief sojourn
at the Prairie Grasslands.
   I decided to empty some Ultramax .44-40 cartuchos; and experiencing a moment of clarity, I slapped
a 3" Aiming Paster on the back of a target. Aiming at a 50yd dot changes things: my five shot group isn't
as depressing.

M.T.Marfield

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2019, 08:41:14 AM »

Em Tee ...  :D

Noticed the Sling Thingie on the side of yer Henry.  I just happen to have a Sling Thingie on the side of one of my Henry Rifles.  Butt ..... My sling is rather mundane.  Just another leather reproduction with a rather plain black finished hook (Captain Hook??) at the barrel end.

Your Sling Thingie appears to have a Bright Brass Hook Thingie on the end.  Would that be correct??  If in fact your sling thingie has brass furniture ........ where did you get it??

Weak and feeble minds want to know    :o

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2019, 12:23:51 PM »
      Greetings, CM!

The Brass Thingie is the Brass Sling Ring that I added to the Sling Swivel on the Barrel Assembly;
the Hook is steel, alas. The idea of the Brass Ring was to give the Steel Sling Hook something to
nibble on, instead of the more expensive Barrel-Mounted Sling Swivel. I wish that I could've found a
more appropriate brass / bronze Sling Hook. All of the brass hardware came from BuckleGuy.com...

M.T.Marfield

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2019, 03:16:56 PM »

Ah So!!  I see the light.  Went back a few posts and saw your "Brass Ring Thing."  Rather a neat Idea.  I may well have to look into a Brass Ring Thing for mine.  I'm always intrigued by bright shiny things  ;D

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2019, 08:31:19 PM »
      Greetings, CM!

All originals that I've seen have an Iron Ring, but... When I found the Buckle, I
saw the 3/4" Brass Ring, and I thought it would work well. It does.

www.BuckleGuy.com

M.T.Marfield

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2020, 04:25:27 PM »
      Greetings!

I had previously mentioned that the spring in the buttplate failed to apply enough tension to keep
the Cleaning Rod Trapdoor as secure as I would like. I removed the spring retainer screw, and went
to JAX; there, I acquired a 'spring washer' that was slightly larger in diameter than the screw head,
and thin enough not to compromise the seating depth of the screws threaded shank. This, when placed 
on the screw and torqued down, restricted the free movement of the spring just enough to increase
pressure on the leg of the Trapdoor, and make it more secure.

MTM

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2020, 04:18:07 PM »
S&S Gear, a Civil War suttler has the Henry sling hooks, as well as a nice repop sling with arsenal stamp.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2020, 01:57:21 PM »
Well Shucks   ???

I must admit I haven't procured a "new" Henry in quite a few years.  I had thought about it as I only have four.  ALL of my earlier production Henry rifles have the Butt Trap for the cleaning rod.  I even have cleaning rods in all the traps.  They are very handy traveling with the rifle.

I am however, amazed and confused that Uberti would stop including the Trapp in the butt of the Henry.  Realizing full well the trapp does constitute several extra manufacturing steps and dropping the tarp is a cost savings measure.  But Damn, that little feature was special to the Henry and should have remained.  At various times, Butt Traps were included in other Winchester offerings.  I have seen them in original sample examples of '66s and '73s.  What a CROCK.

I wish it was still offered as well. Just a neat feature. I have an older Navy Arms Import 1873 carbine with the feature.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2020, 04:50:27 PM »
      Greetings, TL!

Who is "S & S Gear"? I'm not finding them. Not the same as "S & S Firearms", is it? The latter has Sling Hooks, but
they're steel, not brass / bronze...

M.T.Marfield
                             1-29-20

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2020, 09:38:24 PM »
That's them.  Years ago, they were S&S Gear,  I got one from them a number of years back and it was brass or bronze.  Numrich had some originals 20 years ago.....
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2020, 12:43:05 AM »
      Greetings!

I'd LOVE to get bronze hooks. Let's keep our eyes open for them!

M.T.Marfield

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com