Author Topic: Leather Lariat Rope  (Read 4906 times)

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 42
Leather Lariat Rope
« on: May 28, 2019, 01:30:06 PM »
New project or bad task.???  But I want to make a leather lariat more for show than use but if strong enough may still use it for fun not cows.
I saw this article back in Sept '18 in Backwoodsman magazine about 4 strand braiding.  So here goes my attempt.  But first some questions.

So my main question is -- what thickness of leather do you use?
Article states to use a 12" circle with a 2" circle in the middle, 1/4 wide cut lace, this makes for 25' long lacing.  What will the final braided rope length be?  Would like to end up with 25 to 30 feet just for looks.  Let me know if something shorter is fine.
What type of wax do you coat the final rope with?  Paraffin or Beeswax or something else?

Sorry but I may have more question after I start.

I did not do a search for this info so let me know if this topic as been fully discussed earlier and I will search.

Black River Smith

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Leather Lariat Rope
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 09:48:04 PM »
I've never seen a rope made of leather lace.  These may be made for the tourist trade, but would not an original cowboy item.   Original riata's were made of rawhide, not leather.  Some were four platt, some were six.  Most often, they were cut in 1/4" wide strands.  The rawhide was soaked in water until soft, then the strands were cut from the whole hide, starting in the middle and cutting in a large circle, all the way around the hide up to the outside edges.  They were then braided wet and left to dry.  I have several in my collection, most are in the 40 to 60' range, but I do have one four platt that measures out at 92' in one piece, no splices.

Offline Jubal Starbuck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 04:53:48 AM »
   Thank you for a very interesting and informative post. I have read about how they were cut out, but I didn't know they were cut while wet. I guess they were probably greased with tallow when dry?

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:47:02 PM »

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 08:12:34 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  That will get me started off.  Won't do a large one but I do want it to look correct.
Black River Smith

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019, 06:03:25 PM »
I've never seen a rope made of leather lace.  These may be made for the tourist trade, but would not an original cowboy item.   Original riata's were made of rawhide, not leather.  Some were four platt, some were six.  Most often, they were cut in 1/4" wide strands.  The rawhide was soaked in water until soft, then the strands were cut from the whole hide, starting in the middle and cutting in a large circle, all the way around the hide up to the outside edges.  They were then braided wet and left to dry.  I have several in my collection, most are in the 40 to 60' range, but I do have one four platt that measures out at 92' in one piece, no splices.

Twisted greenhide downunder - they make em with the hair on (removing the hair weakens the hide some) twisted just like a rope. Drag it 40 mile down a dirt track  behind a wagon to dehair it and break it in . Stouter and shorter  (it would take an artiste to throw that 92 footer of yours) 

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2019, 06:30:26 PM »
(it would take an artiste to throw that 92 footer of yours)
Your trees may not be as tall, but takes a long rope to reach good hanging branches?

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2019, 10:28:26 AM »
Your trees may not be as tall, but takes a long rope to reach good hanging branches?

Nah we just flogged the bad guys
Greenhide (kangaroo) stockwhip plaited by me 30 yrs ago - kangaroo outer -- from the top end ... 8 plait to 16 to 12 to 10 ,8 6 ----over a 4 plait green cowhide core - redhide fall (tail), braided cotton cracker - butt of handle has a pineapple knot. The plaiting and strip cutting is kind of amateurish but was a challenge at the time
Been dragged round a yard or two but hangs on a peg in my loading room now.

I know a feller with a top notch (presentation grade) greenhide catch rope - he throws a nice loop too - seen him catchin horses - bring you boys a picture of that rope one day.   

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2019, 11:41:02 AM »
Very nice whip. I now have a new term in my vocabulary - greenhide. Thanks for the post on that.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Freedom

• Top Active Citizen
    • 7X Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2019, 08:22:54 PM »

You'll be just fine with a leather Reata  Get some nice chap leather and cut your lace from  the biggest circle possible. Don't start with a 12" circle!

Lace is usually cut from a whole "raw" hide adjusting width as you go.. based on the stretch of the area (anatomy) of the hide.  You want your rope Looooooooooooong! So your lace has to be REALLY long! A good loop will take up 12-18 feet. so in order to have any reach to capture your buddy or Grand-kids, you will want a few coils left in your hand.

Rawhide ropes  ("Reata's") are rubbed with beef liver to condition and ALWAYS moistened in a stock tank of water before they are put to "actual" work. If you rope a calf with a dry rope it will snap it faster than a rattler strike! If you use nice chrome or oil chap leather you will not have this problem.

Oil the strands with leather cream as you braid, use four strands, bevel the edges, tie them to the ceiling by a heavy hook,  and pull them as tight as you can as you braid, and watch a few youtube videos Get some good gloves and you will be braiding an awesome rope and have blisters on your little fingers in no time!  ;D
www.7xleather.com ...Cowboy and Muzzle loading Gear

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2019, 07:48:34 AM »
Quote from: Freedom link=topic=62584.msg741853#msg741853 date=1559352174

Rawhide ropes  ("Reata's") are rubbed with beef liver to condition
[/quote
That makes it sound an awful lot like a dog chew... I don't think it would survive my muttly minions.

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2019, 09:24:03 AM »
That makes it sound an awful lot like a dog chew... I don't think it would survive my muttly minions.
I hear that. Mine will try anything to see if it's edible. Raw veggies, pickles, wood chips, sauierkraut, Kleenex, rubber gloves, you name it. A newly mowed lawn is a big salad bowl for them. ;D

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2019, 06:04:07 PM »
I was finishing up a buscadaro gun belt, just needed to sew on the buckle end. As I'm stitching, the other end is down between my legs, and I feel a tug. Dang dog was chewing on the tongue.

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2019, 12:24:26 AM »
LOL. That's certainly a tempting item for a dog.

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2019, 07:54:33 AM »
"LOL" is not what came out of my mouth  :o

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2019, 08:17:48 AM »
"LOL" is not what came out of my mouth  :o
I would imagine not. But some day you'll look back at it and it won't seem as bad.

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2019, 03:41:29 PM »
A '"gut line" is made from raw hide strips that has had the hair side shaved off. After brading is stretched and lubricated with beef tallow rendered from the kidney fat. i don't have my book on riata making and hand, but I do have two riatas made in Mexico by a real brush popping Mexican vaquero.
They are not tied hard to the saddle they "dally' the gut line around the saddle horn otherwise it might break the line.
A 30 foot line will take a very big bull hide to make, but good luck.
Bunk

Offline Davem

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2021, 11:24:15 AM »
I didn't think lariats were made from leather, the leather isn't strong enough.  To the best of my knowledge rawhide was used.  Four long strands braided together.  A hide was cut into a large circle. On a stump a block of wood was nailed and then 3/8" away a very sharp knife driven into the stump.  You then went "round and round", with the circular rawhide, cutting a long 3/8" width strip.  That got braided together and you were done, would hold a 1,200 pound steer.
In Sheridan WY is King's Saddlery. Probably one of the best/last outfits in the USA. Call them, they are nice folks- might be someone there to give you better instructions.

Offline l1ghthouse

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2023, 04:33:49 AM »
For a leather lariat project like that, I'd recommend a thickness of around 3-4mm for the strength you're looking for. With the measurements you've provided, the final braided rope length should be around 20-22 feet, so a bit shorter than you wanted. Beeswax is my personal go-to for coating; it's always given me a smooth finish.
Leather is actually my favorite material to work with, mainly because of its versatility and unique texture. I read more about leather in this article from https://vonbaer.com/blogs/blog/where-does-leather-come-from/, and it's fascinating to learn about its origins. Feel free to ask more questions as you go along, and good luck with your project!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com