Author Topic: First Wild Bunch Match  (Read 11035 times)

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • know matter where you go, there you are
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
First Wild Bunch Match
« on: May 18, 2010, 09:21:48 AM »
Howdy all, next Saturday May 22nd we plan to have our first Wild Bunch match, and yer all invited. We made a few exceptions and added an Open category to encourage new shooters. Watcha think??
Buccaneer Range Regulators outside of Wilmington NC.
http://brr.carolinacowboys.us/

Wild Bunch / SASS Match  

We will have a Wild Bunch combination SASS match on Saturday May 22nd. Those that do not have a 1911 or other approved Wild Bunch pistol may use their SASS single action revolvers and shoot a regular SASS match. We will shoot three Wild Bunch categories, Modern, Traditional, and Open. The Modern and Traditional will be subject to the SASS Wild Bunch Handbook with two exceptions, 1) any SASS legal main match rifle in pistol caliber, 2) 1911 magazines may have a base pad, but not be extended. IDPA style magazine holders will be approved for all categories for now. We hope to encourage others to participate in the Open category by including firearms to 1917, such as the Broomhandle, Colt 1917 New Service, Webley MK VI, and some modern shotguns. Please remember we will be using our regular SASS targets, no high power ammo, lead ammo only. The maximum velocity standard for revolvers is 1000 fps. The maximum velocity standard for rifles is 1400 fps. Magnum and high velocity shotgun shell loads are not allowed  # 7 or greater shot size. Please refer to the SASS Shooters Handbook for SASS requirements, http://www.sassnet.com/Downloads/RO/SASSHandbook-16-2010.pdf

Please refer to the SASS Wild Bunch Handbook for Wild Bunch requirements. http://www.sassnet.com/Downloads/RO/SASSWBHandbook_Jan2010_final.pdf

For a better understanding of Wild Bunch please see Capt. Baylors’s Wild Bunch for Dummies. http://www.curtrich.com/01wildbunchfordummies.html

The Open category will include;
Any SASS approved main match rifle in pistol caliber.
Any SASS approved main match shotgun.
Open Shotgun:  Any pump shotgun. This is includes the Model 12 or even a Remington 870. Shotguns may be chambered for 20, 16, 12 or 10 gauge shells.  The Winchester 1893 and Marlin 1898 are prohibited. Note, any shotgun not listed is subject to approval by the ROs and MD.

Open Handgun: Any double-action revolver (minimum 6 shot cylinder) or semi automatic pistol, chambered in .30 caliber (7.62 mm) or larger, designed before 1917.   The WB shooter has the option of using two handguns or a single handgun, reloading it as necessary.  Revolvers may be reloaded with single rounds or moon clips.  Revolvers may only be shot using the double action mode.  Magazines may only be inserted at the loading table.  Semi automatic handguns will be carried without magazines at all other times. Note any handgun not listed is subject to approval by the ROs and MD.

Costuming:  Wild Bunch shooters are encouraged to develop a costume based in the turn of the century time frame.  While many people continued to wear traditional western clothing several changes were also being made in the accepted styles of dress in the west.  Military uniforms will be popular but many other types of clothing are also portrayed in the movie.
Holsters and magazine pouches:  Western or Military leather or web gear (no black nylon) type holsters and magazine pouches are encouraged.  Many styles of holsters were in use by 1917.  Hunter type holsters as well as several western style semi auto holsters were also in use.  Magazine pouches were just that, pouches, some were open but most had flaps (no, you don’t need to have them closed, just remember you can’t pick up dropped ammo).   No modern IPSC, combat or police thumb break type holsters may be used.  No equipment made with screw type friction retention devices may be used.
Please remember this is our first try at the Wild Bunch, rules and approved firearms for the Open category are subject to change depending on safety or as deemed necessary by the ROs and Match Director. While we hope the Open Category will allow more folks to give Wild Bunch a try, there are many firearms from that era the ROs and MD may not be familiar with or their safety record.
Sign in from 8:00am-8:45, Safety Meeting at 9:00, Start Match at 9:15. Must be at safety meeting to participate. Even if you do not have all the firearms needed please bring what you have. There are many of us that bring an extra set and others who do not mind sharing as long as you pay them for their ammo. Your regular SASS holster also makes a good 1911 holster. If you have any questions or comments please contact Jeff Holland aka Jefro, at 910-330-7179.

Howdy all, just a little reminder on a couple of things for the Wild Bunch match. Please take the time to read the Wild Bunch rules. The 1897 starts out stoked with 4-6 rounds, if you haven’t cleaned your mag tube in a while you might want to check it to see if it will hold four shotshells. Both of mine were fairly dirty, if you need break down instructions let me know. Bring extra shotshells. If you don’t have a holster bring a belt, I have a few extras. Holsters are not required on the stages, so don’t worry about one, we can stage the 1911 on the tables. Wild Bunch rules do not allow re-holster between shooting positions, tables will be provided at each stage. Costuming: we don’t expect newcomers to have appropriate outfits. However minimal dress can be something as simple as a pair of jeans or kaki, a long sleeve shirt, and leather boots or shoes. We look forward to seeing you at the match.

Jefro :D
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: First Wild Bunch Match
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 09:33:08 AM »
Sounds like fun!
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline rebsr52339

• Bowie Knife Dick (SASS#87007)
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 09:54:45 AM »
I don't see it posted but I "assume" it is in NC some where. Right?   ???

Dick Bernier
Mebane NC
Bowie Knife Dick
NCOWS #3318
SASS #87007
RATS #564
ABKA #23

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:20:46 PM »

Offline JD Alan

• Pistol Packin Parson
  • Top Active Citizen
    • New Life Church Website
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 10:00:15 AM »
Sounds like fun. If I lived closer than Oregon I would do it for sure! I've shot two Wild Bunch matches so far and had a great time at both.

The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 10:42:38 AM »
I don't see it posted but I "assume" it is in NC some where. Right?   ???

Dick Bernier
Mebane NC
Howdy Reb, sorry bout that, I edited my post with our link, it includes a map with directions to the range.. Yep, it's at the Buccaneer Range Regulators outside of Wilmington NC. Come on down and shoot a little Wild Bunch, then spend the rest of the day on the beach. 8) :)

Jefro

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 10:37:15 AM »
We had alota fun at our 1st Wild Bunch match. It took a few stages to get used to having the 97 stoked, and the 1911 was a blast to shoot, much different on the clock than just plinking. My 73 hicuped for the first time ever, I guess it just don't like that heathen passing fad smokeless stuff ;D We hope to do it again in July, ya'll come. Here's a few videos :)
Wild Bunch

Jefro

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 12:12:23 PM »

Good video Jefro, thanks for posting this, I noticed that one pard had his 1911 holstered before before going to the next stage and firing, is this a personal choice, everyone else had their 1911 staged at the table, just wondered, haven't done this yet.
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 12:42:21 PM »
  Good video Jefro, thanks for posting this, I noticed that one pard had his 1911 holstered before before going to the next stage and firing, is this a personal choice, everyone else had their 1911 staged at the table, just wondered, haven't done this yet.
Howdy Ten Wloves, due to the fact that everyone did not have all of thier equipment, holster, mag pouches, I wrote all the stages "pistol holstered or staged on table". Since this was our first one, we wanted as many folks to give it a try as possible with what ever equipment they had, or if they felt uncomfortable running with the 1911 in a holster that might not fit. It turned out the 1911 fit perfect in our SA holsters. Next time the stages will start with pistol holstered, we have plenty of extras to share. The rules require the pistol to be staged on a prop after shooting the pistol string if it is not the last firearm, if it is the last firearm it must be cleared and holstered on the line. Can't wait to do it again ;D

Jefro

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 04:06:18 PM »

Thanks for getting back with that information Jefro, all I can say ,is it looked like a lot of fun judging by this video, I think a lot more pards might give this a try after seeing it.
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline rebsr52339

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 05:13:13 PM »
Sorry I could not make it. A funeral got in the way. Told his wife and son it was damed inconsiderate of him to do that. He was that kind of a friend and so is the family. Hope the next one in July is on the 10th or 24th. Have three other matches that month. Great videos.
Bowie Knife Dick
NCOWS #3318
SASS #87007
RATS #564
ABKA #23

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 07:20:15 PM »
Hope the next one in July is on the 10th or 24th. Have three other matches that month. Great videos.
Howdy rebsr, it should be on the 24th, we too shoot SASS on the first three Saturdays each month, then CFDA on the last Sat. Right now the months with five Saturdays will be WB on the 4th Sat. if there is enough interest. Plan yourself a weekend at the beach with a little Wild Bunch mixed in. ;D

Jefro

Offline rebsr52339

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 05:12:16 AM »
I'll be there. I am assuming the .45ACP loads have to be "lead" heads?
Bowie Knife Dick
NCOWS #3318
SASS #87007
RATS #564
ABKA #23

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 03:54:28 PM »
Thanks for posting the video. :)  Interesting... all of those in the vids shot SASS modern class.

Just out of curiosity, how many shooters out of the total participating shot the open class?
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010, 05:01:28 PM »
Howdy Grizzly, actually we only had one in the Open and one Traditional. We expect to have several more in the Open next time. I talked to four or five folks that did not understand they could shoot anything in the Open, from a Win Model 12 to a Remington 870, to a SXS, or even lever1887.

rebsr, yep 45acp lead. Most of us used the same 200gr RNFP I make for the Colt 45. If you need any bullets shootme a PM.

Jefro

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2010, 09:33:05 AM »
In yer open class do you allow the Winchester Model 1911 shotgun?
Mathew 5.9

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2010, 10:39:28 AM »
Howdy litl rooster, sorry the 1911 is a simi-auto, also considered a widowmaker by some. The Open can be any pump, or SASS approved shotgun. Thanks for asking, I had to go back and change my description, plus add the word pump.

The Open category will include;
Any SASS approved main match rifle in pistol caliber.
Any SASS approved main match shotgun.
Open Shotgun:  Any pump shotgun. This is includes Model 12 or even a Remington 870. Shotguns may be chambered for 20, 16, 12 or 10 gauge shells.  The Winchester 1893 and Marlin 1898 are prohibited. Note, any shotgun not listed is subject to approval by the ROs and MD.

Jefro

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2010, 02:20:31 PM »
Howdy litl rooster, sorry the 1911 is a simi-auto, also considered a widowmaker by some. The Open can be any pump, or SASS approved shotgun. Thanks for asking, I had to go back and change my description, plus add the word pump.

Jefro

It has earned it's nickname
Mathew 5.9

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2010, 12:19:34 PM »
Wild Bunch II. We will have our second Wild Bunch Match on Saturday July 24th. Please read the original post for details. Several folks have told me they didn't shoot the first match cause they didn't think they had the right firearms, mostly the shotgun. Please check the Open Category, it is just that, open. Any SASS legal shotgun, any pump including Model 12 or even the Rem 870.......any pistol from that era including your SASS single actions. The Open Category is as close to run whatcha brung as we could get it. If you want to shoot a regular SASS match that's fine also, I think we had three shoot SASS last time. Hope to see ya'll thar. ;D

Jefro

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com