Author Topic: Navy Arms Henry...old vs newer?  (Read 2727 times)

Offline Cowtown

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 85193
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
Navy Arms Henry...old vs newer?
« on: May 10, 2019, 08:15:59 AM »
Greetings all,

It is my understanding that Navy Arms made 1860 Henrys early on that used some small parts that are dimensionally different than later Navy Arms 1860 Henry models. This creates parts interchangeability/compatibility issues.

It there a serial number range that easily denotes the older models to stay away from; an admonishment I have read and heard several times over the years? In other words, how does one ID an older Navy Arms firearm, specifically their iron frame Henry?

Thank you for any assistance.

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
Re: Navy Arms Henry...old vs newer?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 09:24:42 AM »
In 1976, Navy Arms started producing the first 1860 Henry replicas, BEFORE Uberti.  They mad about 3,000.  The first 50 were in .44 Rimfire with double strikers, and the rest were in 44-40.  About 1,000 were made with 24" barrel, and the rest were with 22" carbine barrels.  I have one with a 24" barrel. After a couple years production moved to Uberti

NOTHING interchanges with the later Uberti produced ones.  The frame is smaller, the carrier is smaller, the barrel does not have a lock on the end of the magazine tube, and other items are different too.

I did a post last year on it:   https://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,61751.0.html
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 09:31:56 AM »
Well ....... Allow me to explain.  Early on, Navy Arms contracted for their own proprietary replica of the 1860 Henry.  The rifle was even Rim Fire.  Really close dimensionally to an Original Sample Example, but not quite.  Nothing from those rifles interchange with anything else.

Early on, in Uberti production, the 1860 Henry rifles were built to different dimensions as well.  The frame was smaller in length and all of the internal parts, while similar, were also different from later production.  Those parts DO NOT interchange and there are NO replacement parts for those guns.  Don't Break One.  The short frame guns were manufactured prior to 1994.

I don't think anyone except Uberti could give you a specific SN reference for the change.  The quickest method of ID for the "odd" guns is a quick measurement of the Carrier Block and its Mortice.  They are shorter.  When you get inside the gun, you immediately go "Huh ??  What's This??"  If you run into one of these guns, don't modify any parts.  There are NO replacement parts.

Hope this helps.

Whoops!!  Lawman beat me to the draw.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:11:39 PM »

Offline Cowtown

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 09:57:24 AM »
Thank you, gentlemen!

;D

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 03:06:20 PM »
CM is correct. Early Uberti 1860s are different from later ones also.  Most noticeably shorter receivers and a shorter threaded barrel shank that screws into the receiver.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 03:25:30 PM »

The only suggestion I would have for the "older" guns would be to first order up some new manufacture springs and check for compatibility.  I would NOT go grinding on springs I had no Oopsies replacement for.

Offline Cowtown

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 03:51:21 PM »
Well...  With all this information in mind I decided to pass on the Navy Arms not knowing exactly what I was getting myself into. As luck would have it the same day I found a Taylor's and Company, much newer 1860 Henry that will fit my needs quite nicely. Iron frame 44-40 at that.  I should acquire this early this week.  ;D

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1637
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2019, 09:18:02 PM »
      Greetings!

I don't believe that this warrants a "new post", but I would like to let all interested parties know that there
is what appears to be an American-Made Navy Arms Henry at the Cabela's in Thornton, CO.
   SN#259 ( If I recollect correct ), no magazine loading lock, mag spring looks a little strained at the muzzle
end, barrel blue worn on the sides to about 75%. The rifle is "tied", and I had no time to have an Outfitter free
it for bore and action inspection. If I'm in the area tomorrow, I'll try to give it a more detailed going-over.
   Price was $499.99 USD: I can't get really excited over what could be a "project gun", for which parts are no
longer available, but one of you fellows might want to acquire it for parts; or perhaps one of you Gunsmiths
might want to take a chance on it...!

M.T.Marfield
                       6-02-19

Offline Sean Thornton

• Top Active Citizen
  • Bentonville, NC 2010
    • The Henry Repeating Rifle
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2019, 09:36:05 PM »
The Navy Arm rimfire were built on the longer frames intended for .44-40. All one would have to do is to replace the rimfire bolt and firing pin and you could fire it.
"Victory thru rapid fire"
National Henry Rifle Company"
SASS 5042 LTGR

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2019, 10:02:33 AM »
      Greetings!

I don't believe that this warrants a "new post", but I would like to let all interested parties know that there
is what appears to be an American-Made Navy Arms Henry at the Cabela's in Thornton, CO.
   SN#259 ( If I recollect correct ), no magazine loading lock, mag spring looks a little strained at the muzzle
end, barrel blue worn on the sides to about 75%. The rifle is "tied", and I had no time to have an Outfitter free
it for bore and action inspection. If I'm in the area tomorrow, I'll try to give it a more detailed going-over.
   Price was $499.99 USD: I can't get really excited over what could be a "project gun", for which parts are no
longer available, but one of you fellows might want to acquire it for parts; or perhaps one of you Gunsmiths
might want to take a chance on it...!

M.T.Marfield
                       6-02-19

That is only 3 digits of from my 1997 Navy Arms Henry # 262.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com