Author Topic: Would like to buy a "shooter" grade trapdoor or reproduction there of  (Read 8904 times)

Offline big50

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Indian War re-enactor looking for a trapdoor to carry and use.  Anyone have a reproduction or a parts gun or a cutdown for sale?
Thank you
Your humble servant
D.S. Johnson

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: Would like to buy a "shooter" grade trapdoor or reproduction there of
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 05:07:25 PM »
Hello!
   Are you looking for a rifle or carbine?  What sort of parts gun are you looking for?
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 06:55:12 PM »
I'm looking for a Trapdoor Carbine myself
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Advertising

Offline big50

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 09:07:10 PM »
I am looking for a carbine.  Something that I can carry mounted ...and not really affect the valve of it too drastically.  So a parts gun that LOOKS like a 1873 Springfield carbine would be great.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 11:17:55 PM »
About 15 years or so ago, Dixie quietly started buying up original Trapdoors.

They were ubiquitous at the gun shows, and as a result - fairly cheap.

Then - someone noticed the buying pattern, and prices rose, and reference books got themselves published.

As a result, there really aren't any 'shooter' Trapdoors now, as folks are collecting and restoring them - and since restoration is pretty straightforward, there's little to worry about, unless someone decides to fake a carbine - so anything that's found will be just that - 'found'.

Replicas were made by Harrington & Richardson and are made by Pedersoli, but you pay a price that's commensurate with originals at times.

Nevertheless, there were an awful lot released to the public, and closets and attics abound, so put out feelers locally to see who might have 'what' and you may be pleasantly surprised.

Good Luck.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline big50

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 09:06:45 AM »
St. George,
Yes sir, I understand that my "best" chance is finding one locally.  I agree 100% with you.  The gentleman's challenge apparently is that he feels that he needs it before some soon upcoming event.  I have been "looking out" for one for a couple of months locally, asking a few locals traders and folks who make the dog swaps and flea markets to be on the look out for one.  Again  Thank you for you advice.  I really enjoy your informative, educational posts and views.  I always look forward to reading your posts.
Your humble servant
D.S. Johnson

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 09:29:03 AM »
De nada, I'm glad to do it and I appreciate your kind comments.

Thank you.

Asking around at the flea markets and gun shows is a good idea, but the folks who set up there are looking at you with dollar signs in their beady little eyes, and 'if' they ever find something, rest assured they'll research it to death before they price it.

Here's a place I bet you haven't tried in your quest - your local Barber Shop...

Depending upon your town, the older Barber Shop can be a place where older guys just go to BS, and the older they are - the better your chance might be in locating something of interest.

Again, thanks, and Good Luck.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 09:40:58 AM »
They still have barber shops?   ??? ;D
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 10:51:14 AM »
Yes DD, On a slow day, I go down to the barber shop and watch a few haircuts.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Charles Isaac

• Grand Army of the Frontier
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 12:38:07 PM »
Good Day Sir!

Speaking of Trapdoor Carbines, this guy has no feedback, so a face to face deal is all I would consider for this Italian reproduction.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SellerAuctions.asp?User=1204692

Sometimes, these no feedback sellers are dishonest people. Otherwise, practice "Buyer Beware" and you may get an outstanding  deal if you play your cards right!

I would send him a message and ask him if he would consider a face to face sale. If he does not reply, I would not try to deal with him.

A GAF member that is local to the seller could help you out by making sure it is sent to an FFL in your area, which is perfectly legal.

Good Luck!

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 02:18:33 PM »
Good Day Sir!

Speaking of Trapdoor Carbines, this guy has no feedback, so a face to face deal is all I would consider for this Italian reproduction.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SellerAuctions.asp?User=1204692

Sometimes, these no feedback sellers are dishonest people. Otherwise, practice "Buyer Beware" and you may get an outstanding  deal if you play your cards right!

I would send him a message and ask him if he would consider a face to face sale. If he does not reply, I would not try to deal with him.

A GAF member that is local to the seller could help you out by making sure it is sent to an FFL in your area, which is perfectly legal.

Good Luck!

"This Enfield's block opens from the top and drops back down to load. I would give the gun a 9.5 out of Ten. Check out all my no Reserve Auctions"
I am thinking this seller doesnt know what he is selling.     
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 03:08:39 PM »
I think the sleeper on that listing is the Garrett Sharps.

You're right DD, lots of mistakes in spelling, too! I smell a scam. . . .or somebody trying to sell something they really have no business selling.
'beesley' for Bisley
'procution' for percussion

Kinda makes whatever grading system worthless. "I'd give it a 8 or a 9.5. . . ." ??? ::) ???

I suppose if it's got a good beat and it's easy to dance to. . .
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 07:23:15 PM »
www.trapdoors.com   fun to look thru, plenty of parts some good prices. Several cut down rifles well priced in the Carbine section. Your best bet for a repro might be a Pedersoli Carbine from Cabelas.

Though the best price I've found on line is here:  http://www.cherrys.com/ped_cart.htm
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Charles Isaac

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2009, 11:36:22 AM »
Nice looking rifles on that website Sgt Drydock.

Those Gunbroker auctions I posted do seem ridiculous. That is why many will not bid and the guns may go cheap. Sometimes these no feedback sellers are trying to cash in on inherited guns and just for the heck of it, I sent the seller a message asking if he would consider a face to face deal. No answer back as I suspected, but I may get a surprise, who knows. It would be worth the trip if they went cheap, but, I use original guns.

I have bought quite a few guns over this electronic telegraph picture machine for half to a quarter of what they are worth and have not been swindled yet, but I tread very, very carefully. ;)

Offline big50

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2009, 10:45:26 PM »
Thank all of you for your input, advice and wisdom.  I am still looking but I have not a lot of luck yet.  I can buy a good clean 1880's infantry rifle from a gentleman in my church for 350 dollars BUT 1) I have two trap door rifles alread and 2) I am loath to ruin a good old gun just so that we can get a saddle gun.  I am hopeful the gentleman that Mr. Issac found turns out be be okay.  I am going to bid on that reproduction trapdoor and see.  Again Thank all of you for your insight and opinions.  That is one of the many reason I so value CAS City
Your humble servant
D.S. Johnson

Offline Charles Isaac

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2009, 08:22:39 AM »
$350 is an amazing deal for a good Trapdoor and would most likely buy it if I were yourself, but am also against the butchering of military rifles because of their provenance and also because there are many that are so modified.

Please, be very careful with that seller on Gunbroker. I believe the good people of the Grand Army of the Frontier to be such that they adhere to a code of integrity from a bygone era and are several levels beyond the types that are so prevalent today, that being the types that are prone to achieve personal gain at the expense of their fellow man and I would be much disturbed to see a member of this fine organization swindled.

Offline Bow View Haymaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2009, 09:54:57 AM »
Buy the one you can ween in person for 350 then sell it or trade it for a good carbine. 
just an idea
Bow View Haymaker

GAF #522  Dept of the Platte
SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

www.HighPlainsShootersSupply.com

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2009, 11:28:41 AM »
These original Trap Doors are getting scarce. I found a 1873 Model rifle that was made into a carbine. I was planning to shoot BP in it. I would be afraid of shooting anything else through it. I don't know much about these old rifles or what they're worth. I think it would be neat to own one and be able to shoot it.  What is a good price for it?

Offline Charles Isaac

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2009, 01:37:57 PM »
A good cutdown generally pulls at least $300. Now with the current situation, all guns seem to have spiked in price.

The factory loads for 45/70 are mild and are OK in an original in halfway decent shape. The ears where the hinge pin goes through look like a weak design, but it is actually straight through the breech block to the cam latch and the recess where it locks into the breech plug that takes the brunt of the explosive force. If you see one of the M1866 50/70 musket conversions to the Allin trapdoor system, the ears are actually soldered with a couple of screws that hold the assembly to the barrel!

One of my older manuals lists loads separately for the .45 Springfield Service Rifle and the M1886 Winchester, the Winchester being superior in strength, and reloads of unknown origin can be very dangerous. The Carbine load was actually 55 grains of black powder with a filler and 405 grain bullet, vice 70 with a 405 or 500 for the rifle. The Rifle rounds fired in the Carbine are a bit lively!

Offline big50

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2009, 07:56:41 PM »
Well I found something.  It is an old cut down, with a "reworked" trigger guard and a saddle ring.  The ram rod channel has been plugged and where the rear sling swivel was has also been plugged.  It still has rifle sights but I ended up with a shooter so the guy who has been looking for it is pleased.  Thank all of you gentlemen for you insight, advice, and suggestions.
Your humble servant
D.S. Johnson

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com