Author Topic: GAF Muster 2009 Report  (Read 61099 times)

Offline Dalton Masterson

• Freeda Bee Mee's driver and ammo loader
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Wheeeeee!
    • Dalton Masterson's site
  • SASS #: 51139
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: GAF Muster 2009 Report
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2009, 10:29:32 PM »
I do have quite a few pics, but havent had a good chance to get them up yet.
Freeda Bee Mee thanks all of you for getting me out of the house for the Muster. While I was gone, they came down with the flu, so with me being gone, I am healthy enough to take care of both her and Pooper Trooper. Thus, not much time for pics. I will definately try to get them up this weekend tho.
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Offline Capt. Montgomery Little

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2009, 10:41:53 PM »
Pony Express,  Wouold love to be there but I had to beg off of the Kansas State Shoot that same weekend due to gas line problems at the house we are restoring. Would rather miss a shoot than watch fire shoot out of the ground as it winds its way towards a high-dollar investment. Still planning to be at Branson next week. Hope it is warm as I kinda miss those 90s in October
in South Texas. Not about to miss Muster 2010.

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2009, 12:14:55 AM »
Greetings, All!

Just arrived home about two hours ago, after a very leisurely return trip with overnight stops in Valentine NE, Rapid City SD, Sheridan WY, and Great Falls MT ...

Too tired at present to try getting any pictures up tonight ....Will try to do so tomorrow,

Had a great time again, as usual!
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 03:44:05 AM »

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2009, 07:14:42 AM »
I was wondering about the stages.

Does the GAF have recommended distances for the tagets? What was used at the Muster?

How many stages, and what was the pistol/ rifle round count?

Garry Owen!

There were ten stages planned, but by mutual agreement due to the weather we only shot four on Saturday and but two on Sunday. The range was about 5 miles+ or so from Ft. Hartsuff, and we went back to the Fort for lunch each day to warm up and fill bellies, which also ate up time in the middle of the day. Everything seemed to take a little longer to get going, we were all moving in slow motion.

Seems the pistol targets ranged from 5 yds. to 20 yds., and the rifle probably 25 yds. to 50 yds., with an occaisional long shot of maybe 200 yds. thrown in.

Figure 10 pistol and ten to 15 rifle per stage. Some stages had targets to earn bonus points off your time score, and a few had interesting actions, like fixing bayonet and stabbing an enemy (had to wipe blade on the foe or be penalized), or carrying a wounded man with you as you worked through the stage.

RCJ

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Online Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2009, 07:22:38 PM »
PICTURES!  PLEEEEEEEZZZZZE?   ;D
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Capt. Montgomery Little

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2009, 09:56:47 PM »
Mikey says he is going to edit this weekend the 300+ pictures from the Muster and then post the first of next week. He was telling me how he is arranging them and it sounds interesting...a veritable slideshow.

Offline Dalton Masterson

• Freeda Bee Mee's driver and ammo loader
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Wheeeeee!
    • Dalton Masterson's site
  • SASS #: 51139
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2009, 10:04:57 PM »
I hope he got some good dirty pictures! ;) You know, the good ones with flames and blackpowder shooters!

I will try to get some of mine on tomorrow sometime.

I have a video of Charles Isaac shooting his Krag, if he will allow me to post it. Its him shooting the stage with the long range bonus.
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2009, 10:40:33 PM »
Here are the first of my pictures .....

I didn't even get my camera out of Friday during the side matches and Wild Bunch stages .... so I have no pictures showing the very nice conditions which prevailed as we enjoyed those events ....   :'(

Saturday morning was an entirely different story .....  :o ....
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2009, 10:44:58 PM »
Notwithstanding the conditions, we proceeded to have some fun and s=do some shootin' ......

Texicans were enjoying themselves with more than just snow angels, you'll note .....

Offline Charles Isaac

• Grand Army of the Frontier
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2009, 11:13:07 PM »
I hope he got some good dirty pictures! ;) You know, the good ones with flames and blackpowder shooters!

I will try to get some of mine on tomorrow sometime.

I have a video of Charles Isaac shooting his Krag, if he will allow me to post it. Its him shooting the stage with the long range bonus.
DM

Go ahead and post it Dalton. I'll get to relive my futile attempt at the 211 and I think I did an unnecessary eject with the New Army on that one!

I tried to get some pics of flame from the black powder guns, but couldn't quite catch it.

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2009, 12:28:37 AM »
Later in the day conditions improved, and we began to hope that the worst was over .....

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2009, 09:50:59 AM »
Pony Express,  Wouold love to be there but I had to beg off of the Kansas State Shoot that same weekend due to gas line problems at the house we are restoring. Would rather miss a shoot than watch fire shoot out of the ground as it winds its way towards a high-dollar investment. Still planning to be at Branson next week. Hope it is warm as I kinda miss those 90s in October
in South Texas. Not about to miss Muster 2010.

I totally understand! Flames and smoke from black powder is a good thing, but fire shooting out of the ground in the back yard.......not so good.

Offline Colonel Buckshot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2009, 11:46:54 AM »
Unfortunately dont get to wear the great coat much down here in Florida although the temp did drop last night finally
Adrian Geary
Samsula, FL
US Army Honorable Discharged  19E/45K
NRA, GAF, SUVCW

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2009, 01:17:35 PM »
It looks like most of the folks at the GAF shoot had some form of Greatcoat to wear in the cold weather. Hopefully we want need something like that next year here in Texas.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2009, 09:25:02 AM »
13, October 1876 (+133)

To: General U. S. Scout
Headquarters Grand Army of the Frontier
Near Washington City

Copies to: (Bvt.) Col. Major Matt Lewis Chief of Staff,
        (Bvt.) Col. Captain Barrett acting Chief of Staff,
        (Bvt.) Col. Drydock Chief of Ordnance,  
         (Bvt. ) Col. Bull Schmidt Adjutant ,
and The ladies and gentlemen of the GAF at large

Sir:

I have the honor to submit my report following the 2009 Grand Muster of the Grand Army of the Frontier.

I moved into my temporary quarters at Fort Hartsuff Thursday 8 October afternoon only to have my presence required at near Willow Springs on Thursday evening. I returned to Fort Hartsuff Thursday evening at approximately 21:30. The Texas contingent had arrived Wednesday evening. The most of rest of the men arrived late Thursday afternoon and evening.

Friday morning the men breakfasted on a hearty breakfast of biscuits and gravy that Delmonico had prepared. The men departed for the scout by buggy, buckboard or whatever other means available. Upon arrival at the sight of the anticipated action, operations commenced with the long range rifle and long range pistol matches which ran concurrently. The match was found to be quite challenging as the top shooter only managed 11 hits out of 15 shots. The men fared better on the long range pistol course and the top place had to be decided in a sudden death tie breaker as Col. Diamond and Lt. Col. Cherry Lake Jake each cleaned the match. In the end Lt. Col. Cherry Lake Jake took top honors. At noon Captain Delmonico brought a hearty meal of stew to the Army’s field headquarters. Following the mid-day break the men found themselves occupied with the Wild Bunch side match. After setting targets the command returned to the barracks. After restoring ourselves with an outstanding evening meal we busied ourselves with preparations for the coming day’s action and renewing old acquaintances.

During the night one of the Texicans gleefully reported that during a trip to the latrine he had discovered that it was snowing… heavily! After comments questioning the Texas contingent’s intelligence and or sanity the men returned to sleep to rest for what promised to be a strenuous and cold two days. We awoke the next morning to nearly 6” of snow.

I had deemed it necessary to divide the command into three nearly equal columns in the hopes that we might engage the hostiles in a pincers movement. This proved impractical as the resultant columns were below full strength. I therefore divided the third column between the first two and we pitched in. At noon we retired to the barracks to warm ourselves with a cup of hot coffee and a fine meal by Delmonico and his assistant Rick. Following the meal we returned to the field and the men performed admirably. At the end of the day we placed the next day’s targets and returned to the post to prepare for photos and the banquet. Following a grand meal the bounteous door prizes were awarded. Each of the participants received at least 2 door prizes. I should here express my gratitude to the members of the door prize committee consisting of Major River City John, Lt. Col. Capt. Larry Little, Major Bow View Haymaker, Lt. Col. Mustang Gregg. Their tireless effort resulted in an almost unbelievable number of prizes. Following the distribution of the door prizes a few speeches were made including one by my Sgt. Major, Texas Sarge explaining the benefits of the site of the upcoming 2010 Grand Muster in Lockhart Texas.

Sunday morning we once again launched into action in spite of temperatures that were once again in the low 20’s. The snow greatly impeded our progress and we were not able to complete all 10 planned stages. We returned to Fort Hartsuff and dined together again one last time. While the men policed up the barracks and surrounding area Lt. Col. Tagalon and I totaled the scores, which are as follow:

Brigade Champion:
(Bvt.) Col. Drydock (1st place Mil-Spec. repeater, 1st place dress Uniform)
I would like to also congratulate here, Cherry Lake Kate from the Division of Minnesota. While her uniform was superb and her shooting was outstanding (she had 4 clean stages) she was unable to dislodge Col. Drydock from his place atop the Brigade Champion standings due to, at least in part, the fact that her 2 wins were uncontestedand therefore earned only 8 points instead of the full 10. Some time back some concern was raised that a woman would not ever be able to win an Iron Trooper. I believe Kate’s accomplishments should have dispelled that myth.

The Division of Missouri won the Division Plate race. Col. Dydock lead the way for the Division by winning both the Mil-Spec. repeater and dress uniform contests.

Smokeless Milspec Repeating Rifle
 1  Lt. Col. Drydock  2  Charles Isaac  3   Col. Diamond

Black Powder Milspec Repeating Rifle
Curly LaGrande

Smokeless  Milspec Single Shot
1   Cherry Lake Jake  2 Capt. Mack   3 Pitspitr

Black Powder Milspec Single Shot
1 Texas Sarge    2 Rattlesnake Jack Robson  3 River City John
Smokeless Scout
 1 Sparky Black   2 Scruffy Skippy  3 Capt. D. C. Case
Black Powder Scout
1 M.T. Brass
Staff Officer
1  Capt Montgomery Little                                    

Lady Smokeless Milspec Repeating Rifle,
 1                  Cherry Lake Kate                

Infantry
 1                  Dusty Tagalon      

Buffalo Scout
 1                      Kanza Kurt

Dress  Uniform  
Col. Drydock

Fatigue Uniform,
Capt. Mack

Civilian Clothes; Lady’s,
Cherry Lake Kate

Camp Award
1 Lt. Col. Kit Peak Kid  2 Major River City John  3  Windy City Joe

In the side matches the competition was quite spirited. The Smokeless long range pistol went into sudden death.
Smokeless Long range pistol:
1   Lt. Col. Cherry Lake Jake  2 Col. Diamond  3 Windy City Joe

Black Powder Long range pistol:
1   Sgt. Major Texas Sarge  2 Col. Rattlesnake Jack Robson  3 Capt. River City John
Smokeless Long Range SS Rifle:
1   Col. Pitspitr  2 Lt. Col. C. L. Jake  3 Windy City Joe
Smokeless Long Range Milspec Repeating Rifle:
1   Curly LaGrande  2 Col. Diamond  3 Col. Drydock
Smokeless Long Range Lever Action Rifle:
1   Lt. Col. Capt. Little  2 Lt. Ned Neiderlander  3 Cactus Rope
Black Powder Long Range SS Rifle:
1 Col. Rattlesnake Jack Robson
Black powder Long Range Lever Action Rifle:
1 Major Dalton Masterson
Wild Bunch
   Battle Rifle:
      1 Lt. Ned Neiderlander  2  Lt. Col. Dusty Tagalon   3  Col. Drydock
   Lever Action:
      1  Major Dalton Masterson   2  Col. Diamond   3  Lt. Col. Cherry Lake Jake
   Ladies Lever Action:
      Cherry Lake Kate
The Battle Rifle Classes continue to grow and gain in popularity. It was very gratifying to see the strides made by the men and women of the Grand Army of the Frontier in terms of equipping themselves with Battle Rifles and historically accurate uniforms. Of the nearly 30 participants, only about 20 percent participated in the scout classes. Just four short years  ago everyone except Col. Robson completed the course of fire with Lever guns. Now battle rifles out number the standard cowboy guns by nearly 5 to one.
I personally enjoy unique matches, ones that allow participants to do or see something that they won’t get to experience anywhere else. This year’s match allowed that if for no other reason than the opportunity to shoot in greatcoats and fur caps.
It has been my honor and privilege to serve the Grand Army of the Frontier as the Grand Muster director the last two years, but I look forward to next year’s match at Lockhart Texas.

I remain,
Your Ob'd Servant,
(Bvt.) Col. Jerry M. Davenport
Commander, Department of the Missouri
Grand Army of the Frontier
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2009, 09:33:14 AM »
Great time, great stages, great food great prizes, great people.  Battle rifles everywhere.  Uniforms!  An 1891 Argentinian army uniform to go with an M1891 Argentinian Mauser! Rolling blocks, Krags, Trapdoors, an MLE and a Martini Henri from our Canadian contignent.  Colt New Army and Navys.  The General put in an appearance.  Charles Isaac from the Department of the Atlantic showed up and put on a Clinic with his Krag.  Rattlesnake Jacks legs made another appearance. Montgomery Little got his name in the rules with a 211 yard pistol shot.

Wait'll ya'll see the pictures!

Lots of stuff to hand out.  Staying in an 1870s barracks was a treat, perhaps the only time I'll ever get to do that.  Y'all missed something special

I was on an inspector tour of the Arizona Territory immediately after the Grand Muster so had to wait until today to read the results.  I fully concur with Lt Col Drydock's assessment.  The number of uniforms and military issue longarms was simply amazing and without any doubt indicates the GAF is here to stay.  I'm already planning for next year's Grand Muster - and will probably drive just so I can take a sufficient number of firearms (flying is such a royal pain now).

US Scout
GAF, Commanding

Offline US Scout

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2009, 09:55:05 AM »
13, October 1876 (+33)

To: General U. S. Scout
Headquarters Grand Army of the Frontier
Near Washington City

Sir:

I have the honor to submit my report following the 2009 Grand Muster of the Grand Army of the Frontier.

I remain,
Your Ob'd Servant,
(Bvt.) Col. Jerry M. Davenport
Commander, Department of the Missouri

Col Davenport,

An excellent report on the 2009 Grand Muster.  It'll serve you well when you come up for promotion in a few years.

I can only add that I had an excellent time myself, though I had to leave before the Grand Muster was completed, and I also look forward to the next Grand Muster in Texas.  Based on discussions heard both at the Grand Muster and in the Barracks, I fully expect to see even more battle rifles and uniforms in evidence. 

Being able to use an original Army barracks for the Muster was a real priviledge and one that I expect we'll not be able to do again for some time to come.

As always, Delmonico's meals were a real treat and he and his assistant (whose name I can't remember and must apologize for) did excellent service.

With so many excellent uniforms in appearance, we seriously need to begin considering awarding 1st, 2nd and 3rd place for both the field and dress uniform competitions at future Grand Musters, as well as establishing a more formal grading system so that everyone knows what is expected.  Col Rattlesnake Jack, Lt Col Drydock, and yourself have all set the standard that needs to be achieved to become a  Brigade Champion.

Well done for putting on an outstanding Grand Muster.

US Scout
Brig Gen
GAF, Commanding

Offline US Scout

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2009, 10:10:47 AM »
...I know the National Muster goes to Texas next year, but we're going to do something here, too.  Planning is already in progress!

Ned,

We have always encouraged each Department to hold a Department Muster.  This would allow those who can't travel to a Grand Muster to still be able to shoot a GAF style match. 

Eventually, what I'd like to do is get every Department to hold its own Muster, with one of them being designated as the Grand Muster so that the Grand Muster is held periodically in each Department. 

US Scout
GAF, Commanding

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2009, 10:59:55 AM »
US Scout, just so you know I sent Salt Crick rick's app to join GAF in yesterday, if you would be so kind appoint him as a Seaman Second Class, Cook's Apprentice, that is his desire if you would be so kind.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2009, 04:38:15 PM »
The pictures from this years Muster showed a lot of diversity in the personas portrayed.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com