Author Topic: Italian SAA parts  (Read 3154 times)

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: Italian SAA parts
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2020, 05:50:52 PM »
When you drill in the center of the head just enough for the head to pop off the rest of the screw is left sticking out of the part.  Once the pressure is removed and you separate the parts the stub of the screw can in many cases be turned out with a pair of pliers or a vise grip.  I have a very tiny vise grip just for this purpose.

Offline sack peterson

• Very Active Citizen
    • Stag Grips
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2020, 08:11:12 PM »
Uberti and Pietta grip assembky screws are the same thread pitch.  Uberti's might have a very slightly smaller head.  Uberti's lock work screws I think are gen 1 thread pitch (24 tpi) while Pietta's I'm guessing are gen 2 (28 tpi).

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2020, 09:28:26 AM »

Once the back strap and WOOD grip are off,  you can get a penetrating lubricant into the actual threads.  Let it sit a day.  Hit it again with a penetrating lubricant.  Grab the stud with Vice Grips and carefully turn it out.  If necessary, apply some heat to the bottom the Trigger Guard frame to expand it aver so slightly.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 01:12:12 PM »

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2020, 01:11:37 PM »
Harbor Freight has those 1/4" impact drivers.
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline medic15al

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2020, 01:15:19 PM »
Thanks Coffinmaker!

wildman, I appreciate that info, gonna go searching for them.
Pacem in corde meo, Mors de guns

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2020, 08:03:23 PM »
I found mine in the screw driver section after I was told they did not have them.
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2020, 10:22:22 PM »
Because the grip screws "mushed" on me taking the grip frame off, and the bottom grip screw is stuck in and refuses to budge and the first attempt the screw deformed, essentially making it a one way screw. And yes I had a proper fit screwdriver. So far heat has done nothing.

I want to replace the 6 grip screws with something other than butter that will deform every time I remove or tighten them. These are as is from factory, I havent been able to remove that damned bottom one yet. It is going to take extra work as soon as the needed stuff comes it. I have a spare set of Pietta screws sitting here.

Invest in a small impact driver and a good set of gunsmithing bits like Brownells Magna-tip bits and don't hesitate to use the impact driver on any and every screw that even gives you the slightest resistance which will likely be every single screw on the first disassembly of a new gun. After the first time taking it apart everything should be fine from then on. I have no problem with even the soft Uberti screws as long as it doesn't get damaged on first disassembly. First thing I do is take apart a new gun completely before I even work the action.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2020, 10:25:49 PM »
I've got a few different impact drivers and by far the best one I've used is the one from Garrett Wade but I see they are not available now which is a bummer because I was wanting to get the set since I only have the small one. The small one is the only one you need for gun stuff you can buy the small one separate or at least you could.
https://www.garrettwade.com/pro-screw-loosening-impact-driver-set-gp.html
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com