Author Topic: Aaawww !! the powder " RULE "  (Read 2374 times)

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
Aaawww !! the powder " RULE "
« on: October 27, 2018, 06:59:59 AM »
 Why we don't have more than one container of powder on the bench while reloading !!! While reloading TB for my 40-60 the TB weight would not come out to the right gr. ???  Then I heard a crunch'n sound ? TB " don't CRUNCH " ??? But H4198 will ,,, !!! Now how did H4198 get in my TB ?? YUUUP ! some how I poured the 4198 in the top of my TB canister,,,( cursssssing ) but also a sigh of " thank goodness ,I caught it ". That mistake only cost me about $30.00 vs. ??? ,, just when ya' think your bee'n careful ,, oh ! sure ,, now I remove all other powders off the bench . ,,,, close . ( slapping forehead )

smoke"m if ya' got'm ,, Hootmix .

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
Re: Aaawww !! the powder " RULE "
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 12:03:07 PM »
Yeah, I'm neurotic about this one.  I don't keep powder in the loading room.  Actually have it at the other end of the house.  When I go to get a bottle of powder, I say the name over and over again as I walk to get it, look at the label on the way back, and double check again before putting it in the hopper.  Never more than one bottle in the loading room at a time.  Sure you'll say that's excessive, but give me peace of mind.

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 09:48:26 PM »
Yeah, I'm neurotic about this one.  I don't keep powder in the loading room.  Actually have it at the other end of the house.  When I go to get a bottle of powder, I say the name over and over again as I walk to get it, look at the label on the way back, and double check again before putting it in the hopper.  Never more than one bottle in the loading room at a time.  Sure you'll say that's excessive, but give me peace of mind.

I am a bit less neurotic - but powder cans stay in storage - when I am loading, the powder I have in the measure that can, stays right there beside it until I empty the measure hopper back in the tin - my rule is NEVER allow two cans out of storage at the once (storage might only be on a high shelf) - but whatever can is sitting beside the measure hopper is what is in it. 

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:34:54 AM »

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 08:31:44 AM »
My thoughts about reloading has always been to simplify things so I try to use the same powder and amt for as many different cas loads as possible and have gravitated toward the sg powders, red dot, clays and clay dot. Maybe to the loss os some accuracy but we ARE talking cas. I also have dedicated dillon and rcbs powder hoppers with the powder and load data on the hopper so when I do change dies I usually just change the hopper. I very seldom dump powder back into a container. Having a bench with 5 presses on it and being 67 I believe in labeling things. I do keep cans of powder around my bench. It’s different for my bottleneck rifle loading and while I have settled on tin star for my cast bullet load in my krag and 1903 Springfield I’m still working on a common powder for a mini30 and mini300 blkout cast load.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Isom

• Deputy Marshal
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 11:42:01 AM »
I'm kind'a anal about stuff that'll get you hurt. I guess my former training keeps me out of trouble. I'm retired Air Force, For 14 out of 21 yrs I was a flight engineer with about 7200 hrs. When you're in the cockpit behind the pilot and running your checklists, after a while you can do everything by heart,,,,, but,,,, you always go back to that checklist and read everything that you did step by step. When I retired from the AF, I worked on military aircraft for another 25 yrs. and same deal. So with 46 yrs. of doing certain things a certain way, I pretty much stay out of trouble. In the hobbies,cars,racing   boats, woodworking, photography, I am anal about some stuff, not everything. My XO,,,,,,,,, (wife) to the non-military  :), couldn't figure it out. I used to tell her ,,,, some things just don't matter. When I'm reloading ,all components get brought out. Any changes in components, one got put up before  the other one got brought out. So far, since '68 haven't gotten in any trouble ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, yet.  ;) Just my view,

Isom

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2018, 02:13:09 PM »
I'm kind'a anal about stuff that'll get you hurt. When I'm reloading ,all components get brought out. Any changes in components, one got put up before  the other one got brought out.  Just my view, Isom

Amen....My view too!!!!! ;D  Crow Choker
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com