Author Topic: Anything Could Happen  (Read 107862 times)

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Anything Could Happen
« Reply #200 on: March 23, 2006, 07:53:48 PM »
Scarlet was putting on her own gun belt when she heard someone call her name from outside.

She moved out onto the balcony and looked down at the man standing there.

“We got company.” The ranch hand said pointing towards the tree line.

The group of riders were just appearing. Scarlet could make out Black Wolf’s stallion from a long way off.

“Do you know where Ella is?” She asked.

“I think she just went to make her rounds.”

“Go find her and tell her whose coming. But I don’t think it’s a good idea for many folks to know.” 

The man shook his head in understanding knowing she meant the soldiers shouldn’t know.

Scarlet picked up the breakfast tray and headed down the stairs, only stopping long enough to put the tray down in the kitchen and ask one of the men to fetch ‘Becca.
"The Scarlet Angel, heaven and hell all rolled into one.... I’d hate to be the one on the hell side.” ~Patches McDuff

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." John Wayne

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."  Mark Twain

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #201 on: March 24, 2006, 06:00:10 PM »
Scarlet knew as long as long as Black Wolf kept the path he was on he’d not be seen by anyone in the infirmary. She hurried so he wouldn’t have a reason to go looking for anybody either.

Johnny met her as she went down the stairs and towards the incoming riders.

He wasn’t sure if he should be surprised to see Black Wolf had the string of horses he’d sold to the Army in tow or not. He wasn’t surprised at all to see what he was sure were the outlaw’s horses among the warriors, the Army horses were no where to be seen.

Black Wolf pulled his horse to a stop. “Greetings.”  He said to Johnny and Scarlet in English.

“Welcome Black Wolf.” Johnny replied.

It was strange to see him on the Southern Starr. If there were communications to be had Black Wolf usually sent someone else to the river, but this time the circumstances were different.

“Horses carrying your mark were among freed ones.” Black Wolf said as he motioned the rider leading them to hand the lead over to Johnny.

“Thank you.” Johnny said taking the lead line. “As always Black Wolf is welcome to the cattle with my mark on them.”

Black Wolf shook his head in understanding.

Johnny had learned along time ago Black Wolf, like the warriors he rode with, was an honorable man, where he was concerned anyway. One just had to take the time to learn their ways and how to communicate with them. The man would die before he was put on some square piece of land and told how to live his life and forget his own ways. But most men would as far as Johnny figured. Fighting for freedom was as old as the mountains themselves.

Some of the neighboring ranches had had trouble with the tribe over the years. Johnny had chosen to try his best to live with them and understand their ways. There was most often enough cattle to feed everyone when other food for the tribe became scarce and Black Wolf’s people would try and trade for the beef.  Because of that he was welcomed into a world few men were able to see. Black Wolf’s father on the other had was something entirely different and Johnny didn’t miss the old man’s rein.

“I have come for the Wolf Song and Blue Feather. I told they are under care of your healer.”  Black Wolf said looking at the group of men near the house who had stopped to take a look at the riders.

As Ella went by, healed by Rebecca, she heard one of the men say. “That’s Ol’ Black Wolf ‘imself, and that big ‘un is Grey Eagle.”

“That’s enough gawkin’” Jimmy said coming up behind the men, who quickly dispersed.

Jimmy suddenly got a mischievous grin and waved at the warriors. He’d been doing it for years when he’d seen them. Usually they stared or rode off, they thought he was crazy. This time Grey Eagle raised his hand in greeting and a couple of the younger warriors returned the wave.

Scarlet looked over her shoulder to see Jimmy and shook her head.

“Greetings.” Black Wolf said to Ella as she came near.
"The Scarlet Angel, heaven and hell all rolled into one.... I’d hate to be the one on the hell side.” ~Patches McDuff

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."  Mark Twain

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #202 on: March 24, 2006, 06:31:14 PM »
Ella replied to the greeting with a calm "Greetings, Black Wolf" that concealed a great deal of nervousness.  She was unsure about how a smile would be interpreted.  As soon as she started learning the language, she had realized that it was very different from any language she had studied before, and she could only guess that body language would also be very strange to her.  On top of her worry about giving offense unintentionally was concern about what time this morning the Army doctor was going to show up to collect half of his wounded troopers. 

"Would you please come with me to where Wolf Song and Blue Feather are lodged?" she asked, pointing toward the foaling barn.  "They are healing well."
Elegant Ella

Advertising

« Reply #203 on: Today at 01:19:45 AM »

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #203 on: March 24, 2006, 07:30:04 PM »
Fritz and Strider made their way towards the house.  The horse seemed a little irritated that he hadn’t been ridden into battle.  That wasn’t possible…was it?

“You’re still my lead horse you know,” Fritz said.  “Damn…I AM starting to sound like Scarlet!”

But he realized that wasn’t a bad thing.  He’d give Strider an extra lump of sugar when they stopped.

When he topped the ridge, it looked like an all-new house sat on the lot.  The fence was freshly whitewashed.  There were new curtains in every window.  The glass was sparkling.  All it needed was a lit lamp to welcome visitors.

Fritz dismounted, and tied Strider to the rail.  The horse nudged his hand as a reminder.

“This is not good for you,” Fritz said, an extra lump in his hand.  “But you deserve it.”

The horse munched greedily.

The door was unlocked.  The house was clean, and smelled of spring air and sunlight. 

“Damn it Bo…you should’ve left some work for me.”

As if in response to his statement, Fritz saw an envelope on the table.  He tore it open, and read the note.

“I know you were busy.  Think of it as my wedding present to you.  Respectfully, Bo.”  There was a postscript.  “Take good care of Scarlet.”

He had the best bottle of bourbon money could buy in his saddlebags.  As his best man, Fritz owed him that much.

He stepped outside and latched the door. 

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #204 on: March 24, 2006, 09:13:00 PM »
Black Wolf’s eyes followed where Ella had pointed. He knew who Ella was; he remembered the stories of her the warriors had told when she’d first appeared in the mountains during the cold season, there had been a few since then too. Most recently about her healing soldiers and Indians, there were few people he could recall that would heal both. The white woman brave enough to venture into the mountains where he called home were an interesting lot to be sure. He wondered if they were raised any different, maybe different blood lines than the other white women he’d encountered over the years.

He slid off his horse and handed Grey Eagle the rein.

While he was not wearing war paint he still wore his weapons and carried a rifle.
Scarlet turned to see some of the ranch hands looking on. One could feel the tension in the air. The men were used to seeing a hunting party now and then on the property. The most common sight was Grey Eagle at the river with Scarlet, but there was a large group of them here. Scarlet knew it was the two war parties that had been in battle. They had probably camped not far from the battle ground before they had ridden in this morning.

“I follow.” He said to Ella. “They come home today?”

Black Wolf’s English was not as smooth as Grey Eagle’s but one could be sure he understood most of what was being said.

Rebecca walked along with them. She couldn’t help but think how much she’d miss Wolf Song when he returned to Black Wolf’s home.

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #205 on: March 24, 2006, 10:21:47 PM »
Bo sat on the porch of the C-C’s main ranch house looking towards the other house.

He and Rose had worked hard with the help of a few ranch hands. The men had done the repairs and put in the new windows while Rose hung new curtains, she had been on cloud nine as some folks said.

He’d come to the main house to find the deed to the place for Fritz, he didn’t know why, he should really talk to him first. He turned the envelope over in his hand.

Rose had been so excited when she told him Fritz was interested in the place, he supposed he’d gotten caught up in the excitement. He hadn’t even thought about what had happened when he told Scarlet the place was hers, until Jimmy had reminded him before he rode out early this morning.

“Where you been keeping yourself?” Jimmy asked as he walked towards Bo.

Bo cinched the saddle and put the stirrup down. “Been helping Fritz out with a surprise for Scarlet. I would‘ve asked you to lend a hand but you been busy doing your own thing.”

“Yeah whatcha been working on?” Jimmy asked.

“Ya gotta keep a secret.”

Jimmy chuckled. He was one of the best keepers of secrets there was and Bo knew it.

“Been fixin’ up Travis’ place. Fritz thinks it would make a good home for ‘em.”

Jimmy stared at him in disbelief.

Bo looked back. “What? I kinda like the idea of hav’in somebody out there.” 

“Who’s squirrel brained idea was that?” Jimmy finally spit out.

It was Bo’s turn to look confused. “Rose.” He said slowly.

“And you went right along with it? Anybody ask Scarlet how she felt about it?”

“It’s a surprise. So I’m thinking no.” Bo had grown a bit irritated at the remark.

“I’m thinkin’ one ‘o ya better say something before springing this on her.” Jimmy retorted.

“What the hell has crawled up…”

“You don’t remember! Damn Bo.” Jimmy took his hat of and slapped it against his leg. “How could you forget?”

“What have I forgotten?”

“Ah crap.” Jimmy snorted. “Last time I recall anybody talking to Scarlet about that place it was you telling her she’d always have a home and she’d never be alone if she didn’t want to be while you tried to hand her the deed. Do you remember what she said? I do. I was standin right on the porch. She wouldn’t even go into the place.”

Bo rolled his eyes. “Oh no.” He felt like such an idiot. “Yeah, I remember.” There was defeat in his voice.

How could he forget such a scene? Scarlet had shoved the papers back at him. “This ain’t home no more Bo. All that I feel is the emptiness. It reminds me of the part of me that died with Travis. I appreciate the offer and I love you for it, but as far as I’m concerned you can burn the place to the ground. I don’t ever want to come back.” With that she had swung up onto Dancer and rode off.

Bo sighed. “I’ve seen her change a lot over the years Jimmy. I can tell you she’s been in the place. Most likely not long after she killed Rowen. She’s different now. If you were to ask her to draw plans for a house she’d like today I bet they’d be the same. She loved that place once. There are a lot of good memories there too. Do you think she still feels the same?”

“I don’t know Bo.” Jimmy shook his head. “Everybody’s always said it’s you who knows her best.”

“I don’t know that I got the market corned on that Jimmy. Was you she trusted not to judge her harshly for the things she did at the time.”

“Cuz I got no room to Bo….. Only one who might know her heart better than you is Fritz.” Jimmy half smiled. “He’s brought changes to her, you know that. You could see it almost right away.”

Bo smiled too. “I’m guessing that is the only reason you didn’t try ta shoot him when you first met ‘im.”

“Ah I figured it might be kinda interestin’ to see what that crazy Yankee soldier was all about. Who’da guessed? I mean they call me crazy. I don’t know that I’d ride into a group of hostiles for a woman I hardly knew.” Jimmy chuckled. Then looked serious again. “All I’m gonna say about it is you aught to tell Fritz. Between the two o’ you, you should have her figured pretty good.”

“Damn.” Bo sighed as he stood up looking at the deed again. He should ride out the house and pick that note up then go talk to Fritz about the whole thing.

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #206 on: March 25, 2006, 12:14:32 AM »
"They can come home today," answered Ella.  "Blue Feather can ride for a short time, Wolf Song for longer.  They still need to wear bandages, and I have taught Wolf Song what to do for both of them."

Ella led the way into the building.  Wolf Song was in the stall with Gypsy and her foal, again.  He had been there when Ella came to change bandages before breakfast.  He stayed upstairs long enough to change Blue Feather's bandages under Ella's supervision and eat breakfast.  He was still obeying Becca's orders to stay in the building, but just barely.  He was definitely ready to go home. 

Blue Feather's fever had broken night before last, and not returned.  His wounds were starting to heal nicely, although Ella worried that the infection would return if the wounds were left untended.  She thought Wolf Song understood the need to continue with the herbs and the bandages. 

The greeting between Black Wolf and Wolf Song was dignified, then followed by a torrent of words from Wolf Song.  When he paused for breath, he glanced at Ella then resumed slower, so that she could follow his praise of Gypsy's foal.  He paused again, then looked at Ella to reply.

The expected answer was within the vocabulary and grammar she had learned so far, so she replied in their language, "Scarlet says the father is your stallion."
Elegant Ella

Offline Tensleep

• Damned Ol' Ranger
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dealer in Bullets and Gun Butter
  • Liked:
« Reply #207 on: March 26, 2006, 08:41:23 AM »
Tensleep lay resting in the cabin that served as his office and living quarters. He was hoping to hear from Oliver Brothers in Vernon today telling him when his special package should arrive. It seemed long ago when the idea for 'Becca's wedding present had come to him. Now he wondered if it would arrive in time.
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
America's 1st Grey Sash Cowboy, GSC 006
SASS 5756 Life, Regulator
Dooley Gang, Virginia Chapter
Just a poor dumb cowboy, tryin' to do my best.
"If I could roll back tha years, back when I was young and limber..."

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #208 on: March 26, 2006, 10:13:34 AM »
A smile threatened Black Wolf’s lips. He stepped closer to look at the foal. Gypsy’s watchful eyes didn’t go unnoticed so he spoke softly to her while he petted the colt. Horses were Black Wolf’s passion. It was the common ground he found with the Longknife people.

Black Wolf picked up on what Wolf Song was doing. He had gone through the same with Scarlet when they were learning one another’s language. He spoke his language slowly hoping Ella could follow what he was saying. “Black Wolf has a black filly from Lucky. Black Wolf is waiting to breed her to stallion.” He pointed towards the horse he rode. Then looked back at the foal. “Medicine hat is good luck. This is a good horse.”

Black Wolf looked towards Wolf Song and asked if he’d understood what Ella had been teaching him about healing and how he’d need to take care of Blue Feather. He spoke faster than when he’d spoken to Ella but she understood the jest of the conversation and some of the words.

Wolf Song stood proudly. He had been given and important job and was going to prove to everyone he was man enough to do it. He spoke slowly as to get all pronunciation correct in English. “Ella.” He paused for a moment knowing right off he’d missed something in front of her name. He’d heard some of the men calling her something he knew was a term of respect however the people who he knew were friends just called her Ella so he went on. “is a good teacher. I will be able to tend to Blue feather.” His eyes suddenly sparkled with mischief. “as long as he listens to what I say.”

Rebecca covered her mouth so nobody could see the smile as she thought “poor Blue Feather was going to be in recovery longer than Ella would have him. Just so Wolf Song could tell him what to do.”

Black Wolf stepped out of the stall. “We see Blue Feather now?” He said to Ella.

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #209 on: March 26, 2006, 11:20:03 AM »
"Yes," answered Ella, turning to the staircase.  "I would like to see him after the wedding to see how the healing proceeds." 

Upstairs, Blue Feather was sitting at the little table carving on a piece of wood.  Ella had told him that he would be able to go downstairs today, and he was waiting for her.  He needed to see the wonderful foal the Wolf Song described for himself. 
Elegant Ella

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #210 on: March 26, 2006, 06:16:19 PM »
Fritz came in and saw the ponies.  None appeared shod; there were no saddles either.  He rode slowly towards the group, his hands away from his weapons.  That's when Grey Eagle rounded the corner, carrying his '66.

"Hello Grey Eagle."

"Yellow Sleeve, it is good to see you.  Does your wound heal well?"

Fritz rubbed his shoulder after dismounting.  "Yes.  I see you still have my rifle."

"Yes," Grey Eagle replied.  "It shoots well."

Fritz nodded.  "Scarlet and I will marry in a few days.  Will you come?"

Grey Eagle smiled.  "Yes.  I will stand at the joining of Yellow Sleeve and my red sister."

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #211 on: March 27, 2006, 08:20:11 PM »
Blue Feather put down his carving and stood when the group entered the room. He exchanged greetings with his uncle then remained quiet. Rebecca had told Ella that Blue Feather was shouldering the blame for the death of his father although he shouldn’t.

Black Wolf asked to see the work of the healer Blue Feather had been in care of; Blue Feather showed his wounds. Black Wolf was impressed with Ella’s skills.

Blue Feather picked the carving he’d been working on since he’d started to feel better and held the small horse towards Ella. He’d not said many words to any of them while he’d been here but he’d listened to their conversations and hoped this would be something she would like. “Thank you.” He said softly.

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #212 on: March 27, 2006, 10:09:06 PM »
"I am glad I was able to help you," replied Ella, touched by the gift and the thanks.  "Thank you for this horse."  She examined it closely, then smiled, "It looks a lot like Scarlet's horse Lucky.  I should show you my mare, who is carrying a foal fathered by Lucky." 

Turning to Black Wolf, Ella said, "I would like to spend some time with your tribe's healer in the spring.  Scarlet has told me what she knows about the helpful plants that grow around here and Indian healing.  I hope by spring to have learned enough of your language to be able to learn more medicine from your healer."
Elegant Ella

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #213 on: March 28, 2006, 09:35:05 AM »
Black Wolf thought about her request for a moment. He was always cautious about how many people had seen his home. The greatest fear being somehow his enemies would also find him although he did take precautions when taking people into the mountain. It would also benefit his people to learn from Ella.

“You come when the foals are here. Black Wolf would like to see Ella’s new foal and show Ella his herd. You have good teachers of language here.”

Blue Feather had waited patiently until the adults were done speaking then spoke up.
“We see your horse and the medicine hat foal?”

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #214 on: March 28, 2006, 10:55:35 AM »
"Yes, Blue Feather, it is time for you to go downstairs where you can see the foal and my mare.  Then you and Wolf Song will go home," replied Ella.  She thought a moment, then asked, "Black Wolf, would you please lead the way?"

Blue Feather had walked many times from one wall to the other in the living quarters, and had gotten enough strength back to keep walking for 15 minutes at a time, so Ella was pretty sure he would manage the stairs just fine.  But Black Wolf just ahead of him was insurance against a fall. 

The procession went downstairs without a hitch.  While everyone else stopped to investigate the foal, Ella went out to fetch Ruth.  Ella had been neglecting her for the past few days.
Elegant Ella

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #215 on: March 28, 2006, 04:38:27 PM »
While they waited for Ella to return ‘Becca opened the stall and led Gypsy out, followed by her foal, she figured the colt would put on a show.

She had been right. He stood letting the people look at him then put his nose down and bumped Mr. Dawg before leaping and racing down the breezeway. 

Gypsy raised her head and nickered while her colt and Mr. Dawg raced up and down in front of the stalls, their antics bringing smiles to the group’s face.

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #216 on: March 28, 2006, 05:53:18 PM »
Ella decided that she and Ruth could perform a little, although she doubted that a bit of dressage would impress Black Wolf.  She put on the dressage saddle and bridle, then used the corral rails for a mounting block after adjusting her skirt.  A split skirt would be easier, but she wasn't going to go change clothes. 

Once Ruth was walking toward the foaling barn, Ella laid the reins across her neck, and pulled out her tatting shuttle.  Ruth was willing to show off, and she pranced along, guided by subtle shifts in Ella's posture.  Once the rest of the group was watching, Ella directed Ruth into figure-8's at a canter, with both her hands still occupied with the tatting shuttle and thread.
Elegant Ella

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #217 on: March 28, 2006, 06:54:01 PM »
Fritz and Grey Eagle turned to watch Ella's riding.  She had come a long way from their journey into Mexico...they all had.

"She rides well," Grey Eagle whispered.  Fritz nodded.

"So, who will stand for you, Yellow Sleeve?"

Fritz was taken aback.  He hadn't asked Bo, even though he'd meant to.

A strong hand rested on his good shoulder.

"If no one will stand for you...Fritz...then Grey Eagle will."

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #218 on: March 28, 2006, 08:10:08 PM »
As Ella rounded the far circle and came back she noticed her audience had grown. The entire party that had ridden in with Black Wolf sat on their horses behind Johnny and Scarlet with the exception of Grey Eagle who was standing at the corner of the barn next to Fritz.

Scarlet suppressed a chuckle when one of the warriors leaned down and asked her how Ella used what she had in her hands as a weapon; then explained it was a weapon of deception. He was very impressed at her wisdom. They all were impressed with her riding skills and the horse she called Ruth.

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #219 on: March 29, 2006, 12:19:46 AM »
Ella completed her demonstration by having Ruth rear, then dismounted and hugged Ruth before giving her a bite of dried apple out of her pocket.  She led Ruth over to Blue Feather and Wolf Song.  "I helped birth her, then raised her from a foal, after her dam couldn't produce milk to feed her.  I paid for her training and my riding lessons by taking care of the riding master's herd."

Ella turned to Scarlet and commented, "Scarlet, it occurs to me that we could have a code with tatted snowflakes, not that I intend to make a habit of getting captured.  An easy code would be one point per captor, although that is likely to be information you can get from tracks."
Elegant Ella

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com