Author Topic: Stainless Steel Uberti Colt's Picture added  (Read 3127 times)

Offline Fingers McGee

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • SASS #: R28654
  • NCOWS #: 3638
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Stainless Steel Uberti Colt's Picture added
« on: June 30, 2019, 11:58:05 AM »
Stainless Steel Percussion Colts

In the early to mid 1980s, Uberti produced a line of stainless steel percussion Colt revolvers that were imported to the US by Allen Firearms, Santa Fe, NM; Southwest Muzzleloaders Supply, Inc. Angleton, TX, Uberti USA, and possibly others.  They are now also known to have been sold in Europe under the HEGE dealer name. 

Phil Spangenberger did an article about these stainless revolvers in the October 1983 issue of Guns and Ammo Magazine. According to the article, the models that were being imported were the 1851 Navy, 1860 Army, 1861 Navy, 1862 Pocket Navy, and 1862 Pocket police. Thanks to Dr. J.L. Davis of RPRCA, Claremore, OK, I have a 1984 price list for Uberti products that lists fourteen different models of Stainless Steel Colts produced by Uberti at that time. Subsequent price lists expanded the line to 16 models by adding 4 ? inch barreled Pocket Navy and Pocket Police. The known model list is:

1851 Navy, Oval Trigger guard Revolver, Cal. .36
1851 Navy, Square back Trigger guard Revolver, Cal. .36 *@
1851 Navy, ?Sheriff?s Model? Oval Trigger guard Revolver, Cal. .36 *
1851 Navy, ?Sheriff?s Model? Square back Trigger guard Revolver, Cal. .36
1860 Army, Military, Cut For Stock, Cal. .44 *@
1860 Army, Military, With Fluted Cylinder, Revolver, Cal. .44*@
1861 Navy, Military, Cut For Stock, Revolver, Cal. .36 * @
1861 Navy, Civilian, Revolver, Cal. .36
1861 Navy, Military, With Fluted Cylinder, Revolver, Cal. .36*
1861 Navy, Civilian, With Fluted Cylinder, Revolver, Cal. .36
1862 Police, Semi-Fluted Cylinder, Revolver, Cal. .36, Barrel 4 ??@
1862 Police, Semi-Fluted Cylinder, Revolver, Cal. .36, Barrel 5 ??*@
1862 Police, Semi-Fluted Cylinder, Revolver, Cal. .36, Barrel 6 ??
1862 Pocket Navy, Engraved Cylinder, Revolver, Cal. .36, Barrel 4 ??*
1862 Pocket Navy, Engraved Cylinder, Revolver, Cal. .36, Barrel 5 ??*@
1862 Pocket Navy, Engraved Cylinder, Revolver, Cal. .36, Barrel 6 ??
(* - have identified location of examples of these models)
(@ - have this model)

The current total of known revolvers is thirty five. I have nine of these revolvers and know of twenty six in the hands of other collectors or BP shooters. Two of the known revolvers are in Switzerland, one is in England, one in Spain, one in Poland and an 1861 Navy sold on GunBroker in Feb ?19.  The Swiss and Polish models are marked Original Hege on the barrel, the English model has the typical Allen Firearms barrel address, and the one in Spain has a blank barrel.  Markings for the one sold in Feb are unknown. Seller wouldn't respond to inquiries.

Anyone with information concerning Allen Firearms, Southwest Muzzleloaders Supply or any other Uberti Stainless Steel Colt style revolvers is requested to contact fingersmcgee@charter.net  I am seeking information as to models, manufacture dates, serial numbers, barrel markings, barrel lengths, trigger guards, and any other characteristics as well as catalog, brochure, and original packaging information.

Of course, if anyone has any for sale, I
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Offline smittyc7

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Stainless Steel Uberti Colt's Picture added
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2022, 09:02:42 AM »
Interesting twist.  I contacted Uberti and they claimed they did not make a stainless.  To me, clearly a younger generation that did not do her research OR the company has lost (or no interest in) history that far back (1984 in my case).  So I searched online and found the October 1983 issue of Guns and Ammo, and bought it.  Good write up on the product line at the time, clearly praising Uberti for the pistols, etc.  I'm going to fire off a scan to Uberti and see if I get a response.

I uploaded a photo.  It is a pretty thing.  Not a civil war reenactment weapon, at least one I would allow, but it is pretty.  As far as I know, it has never been fired, the original owner said that he didn't, and I don't intend to.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2022, 03:24:42 PM »
I'm interested on your SS Navy.  If nothing else, I'd like information for my data base - SN, barrel address, frame markings, etc.  I've got information on 39 of these SS Uberti's; yours making # 40. 
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:22:57 AM »

Offline hrt4me

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 122
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2022, 07:07:20 PM »
Fingers McGee, do you also collect those stainless Colts made by Glen Marose in Missoula, Montana? and/or those made by Harry A. Hulick in Janesville, Wisconsin?

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2022, 08:22:06 PM »
Fingers, just out of idle curiosity (as I have no dog in this fight), why all the "hoopla" over stainless percussion revolvers as they have zero historical basis? I don't get it. They look...............weird.  ???

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2022, 07:41:24 AM »

:)  FCK  ;)

Well, I kinda sorta gotta disagree.  I think the Stainless Uberti percussion guns are way NEAT!!  Different, Yes, but incredible neat.  In a weird sort of way.

I suspect they suffer the same Abysmal Barrel/Arbor fit as the rest of Uberti production.  While I'm no Uberti percussion fan, the guns are well different!!

People are Still Contagious.  Avoid'Em

Offline Reverend P. Babcock Chase

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2022, 09:47:34 AM »
Howdy Percussionists,

Aside from the rarity of stainless (vs. regular steel) percussion sixguns, I think the original "hoopla" over these guns was the (supposed) rust resistance of stainless. I have never owned or shot one so I have no idea if they resisted the ravages of oxidation due to black powder fouling.

Rev. Chase

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2022, 11:33:19 PM »
Howdy Percussionists,

Aside from the rarity of stainless (vs. regular steel) percussion sixguns, I think the original "hoopla" over these guns was the (supposed) rust resistance of stainless. I have never owned or shot one so I have no idea if they resisted the ravages of oxidation due to black powder fouling.

Rev. Chase

A misnomer if there ever was one, stainless does not mean rustless. It will definitely rust.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2022, 03:49:49 PM »
They're different and rare.  in 20 years of collecting I've only been able to account for 40 examples world wide.  I've shot a pair of Navies and found them to be accurate, easy to clean and no problems with rust or corrosion.  Only problem I've had is with mainsprings on some of the pocket models.  They're either too heavy or too light, but a replacement from VTI solved the problem. 

Offline Big Goose

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2022, 01:41:43 PM »
Howdy,
 Here's a pic of my Colt 2nd Gen 1860 Army Stainless steel,  Most I've seen pictures of have sort of a satin stainless finish, mine is polished finish- looks almost like nickel, but is SS..
 Big Goose

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com