Author Topic: Federal Magnum large pistol primers  (Read 1730 times)

Offline powderhombre

• Very Active Citizen
    • Black Powder Cartridge Rifle Reload Target Recorder
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Federal Magnum large pistol primers
« on: September 10, 2020, 10:37:09 AM »
Was out shopping and was astonished at how bare the shelves are. No pistol primes at all except for 2 packs of Federal Magnum pistol primers. So I bought them. Is there any reason I cannot use them for BP loads in 45 colt and 44 mag.?  I know some BPCR shooter use a news paper wad over the flash hole. Is there any benefit in this?

Offline Cap'n Redneck

• Commd'g Co. D, Frontier Batt'n, Texas Rangers.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Cap'n Redneck SWS #163.
  • GAF #: 273
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Federal Magnum large pistol primers
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 12:50:00 PM »
I have used Fed. LP Mag. primers for blackpowder loads in .45 Long Colt, .45 Schofield and .44-40 when I could get them.  The claim is that Magnum primers effect a quicker & cleaner combustion.
At CAS-distances I don't think it matters at all...so I have switched to regular Large Pistol primers.
I save my Magnum primers for dedicated Long Range Lever-action Pistol Caliber ammo.

BPCR-shooters use a newspaper wad or toilet tissue wad over the flash-hole to dampen the ignition sequence when firing bullets that are hand seated, and not crimped in the case.  It keeps the bullet from being pushed out of the case by the initial shock of the primer detonating.

If you crimp your .45 Colt and .44 Magnum ammo, a paper wad over the flash-hole will have little purpose.
"As long as there's lead in the air, there's still hope..."
Frontiersman & Frontiersman Gunfighter: The only two categories where you can play with your balls and shoot your wad while tweaking the nipples on a pair of 44s.

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 12:59:08 PM »
Some gun mag writers and shooters posting on forums use them, claiming faster ignition and/or better burn. I tried them in 45 Colt and 44 Special calibers using black and found no advantage. Maybe some could be seen if using a chronograph and bench shooting for as small a group as possible. I've had good luck with just using Winchester LP primers, used some Federal's a few times. I believe in 45 Colt and 44 Mag loads using black and Federal Mag primers you may have a 'more harmonious outcome' if you used FF Black vs FFF. In fact I use FF for all of my black powder cartridge loading anymore in 44 and 45 Colt. If I do load any 44 Spec with black, FF is used also. From what I've read and been told you have less pressure spike using FF for the bigger calibers vs FFF. Maybe you already use FF? Other shooters opinions may vary. :)
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:13:42 PM »

Offline Yeso Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2020, 02:57:20 PM »
I use Federal LP magnum primers under wax paper wads (.001") with 3f BP in the 44-40s.  It does even out the velocity spreads. 
As Cap n Redneck says, at CAS distances, it will not matter. 

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2020, 03:44:17 PM »

Hi again Powderhombre   ;)

The key point has been covered.  Most folks will never know the difference between Federal Large Pistol and Federal Magnum Large Pistol.  The notable difference is in what is called "Brisance."  The flame travel is slightly longer (farther) than the standard primer.  Some Lustrum ago, when I chased the "Brass Ring" and was loading smokeless pistol to ridiculous low powder charges, I used Federal Magnum to get better ignition with small powder charges.  Many propellants are quite position sensitive in straight wall pistol cases at light charges.

With BP and Subs I don't bother.  Unless Magnum's are the only thing onna shelf.

Offline paperchaser

• Retired
  • Active citizen
  • SASS #: 54926
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2020, 01:54:52 PM »
Well, I did find today:

1.  23,000 Federal Small Pistol Match primers (but I was a gentleman and only bought 3,000)
2.  2,000 Federal Large Pistol primers (all they had)

SASS #54926
N.R.A. Pistol Instructor
Mississippi Peacemakers

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2020, 08:40:21 AM »
As pertains primers for Pistol Cal. SASS match use.  Any modern primer that gives a good fit in the primer pocket will do your duty.  I personally use WLP primers for pistol Cal. and WLR for my 'long distance' use.  All my ammo goes boom and the bullets never know the difference.  FWIW, Winchester LP primers say for 'magnum and standard loads' on the box.

Hold center!

DD-MDA
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com