Author Topic: Point Shooting?  (Read 3967 times)

Offline Doc Sunrise

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Point Shooting?
« on: February 03, 2007, 08:17:24 AM »
Hi Marshall,

I am new to cowboy shooting and wanted to know what literature or instructional material is best to learn how to point shoot and learn the art of a quick draw?

Doc Sunrise

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
Re: Point Shooting?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 09:01:50 AM »
With the number of posts you've got - I'd say that you have a pretty good idea of the sport.

There are videos available, of course - as well as several books - among them are:

'Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting' - by Ed McGivern - a classic - but not devoted to C&WAS.

'Action Shooting: Cowboy Style: an in Depth Look' - by Taffin

'What would Wyatt say? Wimp loads, close targets and high-tec mods: what's happening to cowboy shooting?' -  Mike Venturino, 'American Handgunner' magazine.

Go to www.bibliofind.com - type in 'cowboy shooting' - and take your pick.

You can read the books and watch the many, many videos available from enterpreneurs across the 'virtual prairie' - but absolutely nothing prepares you as well as actual shooting - followed by more shooting.

And dry-fire practice.
(with any and all loaded ammunition in a different room - just in case...)

The design of the Colt Single Action Army is a very natural design, ergonomically - and it lends itself well to this sport.

The needed hand and eye coordination is something 'you' need to develop on your own - and that's done by investing the time in practice, practice, practice...

Good Luck.

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Handmade Pistol Grips
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 08:57:31 PM »
Just FYI.  Quick draw, or Fast Draw, isn't a permitted style of shooting at a SASS type match.  There is another game for fast draw.

Also in the "for whatever it's worth" category, the vast majority of top shooters don't point shoot.  They use their sights.

Welcome aboard!  There're a lot of great folks at the matches and you'll have a great time.

Doc

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:45:47 AM »

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 09:06:17 PM »
Not likely the meathod most would want to use, but a big nasty snake coiled ready to strike and you being within it's range can be a good teacher, learned real quick one nice afternoon.  Of course Elmer said the snake would help line you up. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 12:02:39 AM »
Doc S:

Del, Doc & St G are right on the bullseye. 
Forget the point shoot & fast draw stuff for SASS/OWS. 
Ain't gonna do ye no good, less'n you're a "natural".
I'd use them sights.   ::)  ::)

MG
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Doc Sunrise

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 05:41:54 AM »
I was just wondering?  I read where an actor was taught point shooting for a movie, and I was just curious because I tried it once at the range and I was totally disappointed at how off I was. 

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 09:47:47 AM »
Doc: 

If it was for a movie, it was probably blanks & "squibs" (least I recollect that what they call them explodin' thangs that look like a hit).
I don't think live ammo is hardly ever used on a movie set--TOO DANGEROUS!!!

If ya wanna see a Pard who is a fine Gunfighter & point shooter, watch Widowmaker HillHe is amazin'!
There is a site put up by Spencer Hoagland that has world record CAS shooters on video. 

We do practice point shootin' occasionally.  I have found I can save about 4-5  seconds per stage doin' it.  But I generally get 3-4 misses where I woulda been clean.  So It ain't a good thing for me.  I do however shoot my SxS from the hip at local matches & hit 90%+ so far.

MG
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com